Windows 10: Unable to get into surface, need to rest

Discus and support Unable to get into surface, need to rest in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My husband has not been able to use his Surface computer in over a year, as it won't take his password, reset codes etc. His virtual keyboard also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aztazzy, Dec 23, 2019.

1. aztazzy Win User

Unable to get into surface, need to rest

My husband has not been able to use his Surface computer in over a year, as it won't take his password, reset codes etc. His virtual keyboard also won't work. We just want to reset it to factory settings and start over, how can we do this?

:)

aztazzy, Dec 23, 2019

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Dec 23, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Unable to get into surface, need to rest :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Dec 23, 2019
  4. JLS422 Win User

Internet Explorer freezing on Microsoft Surface (Windows RT 8.1)

I have followed every step you have suggested. Internet Explorer still closes - I am unable to use it at all on my Microsoft Surface.

JLS422, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to get into surface, need to rest - Similar Threads - Unable surface need

2. Unable to start my surface

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to start my surface: Hi - I appreciate any help you can provide. I have a microsoft surface with windows 10When I try to turn it on, bitlocker recovery screen pops and asks for recover key. I enter the recover key and it takes me to recovery screen with the following message: Your PC/Device needs...
  3. Unable to start my surface

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to start my surface: Hi - I appreciate any help you can provide. I have a microsoft surface with windows 10When I try to turn it on, bitlocker recovery screen pops and asks for recover key. I enter the recover key and it takes me to recovery screen with the following message: Your PC/Device needs...
  4. Unable to use surface

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to use surface: I was messing around with the display settings and I'm now on the lowest resolution at 500 percent scaling. This leaves me too zoomed in to do anything. I can't scroll down on the display settings page to do things. Is there any way to shortcut default settings or...
  5. Unable to access the rest of my SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access the rest of my SSD: Hi, So recently I cloned my 120gb SSD to my new M.2 1TB SSD. But after I finished cloning, my entire M.2 SSD has basically been allocated to a Recovery Partition and I can't access it from my library. Here are some screenshots to show you the problem I have come across. I...
  6. Getting the rest of a Windows 10 Product Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting the rest of a Windows 10 Product Key: [ATTACH] Currently having an issue with reactivating a Windows 10 key after hardware change, lost the original product key, I did some searching within the computer and manage to find a full key, but it doesn't match the last five digits of this one... Is there anyway I can...
  7. Unable to get past Surface screen after restarting for update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to get past Surface screen after restarting for update: Hi! My Surface Pro 3 is unable to get past the surface screen after restarting for the May update. Any help here? Thanks! 134305
  8. Unable to get past Surface screen after restarting for update

Unable to get past Surface screen after restarting for update: Hi! My Surface Pro 3 is unable to get past the surface screen after restarting for the May update. Any help here? Thanks! 134305
  9. Unable to access the rest of my network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access the rest of my network: Sometime after an update with windows 10 my laptop can no longer access my drive shares from my other windows 10 computer. Remote desktop also no longer functions. I can still access the remote desktop and drive shares from other devices on my network to the original...
  10. Surface 3 unable to get ver 1803

Surface 3 unable to get ver 1803: Microsoft Surface 3, 64-bit 4 GB Ram. Disk space : 79.3 GB free of 115 GB Browser : IE11 OS : Win 10 Home, ver 1709 Build 16299.431 All my laptops were able to receive version 1803 on the very same day it was released. But, so far, my Surface 3 is not getting it from WU. I m...