Windows 10: Unable to get to google.com in Internet explorer? Other browsers ok.

Discus and support Unable to get to google.com in Internet explorer? Other browsers ok. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; So, as of yesterday, I cannot get to www.google.com in Internet Explorer. I get "The page cannot be displayed". I get the same if I try to go to gmail.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by musiclover7, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Unable to get to google.com in Internet explorer? Other browsers ok.

So, as of yesterday, I cannot get to www.google.com in Internet Explorer. I get "The page cannot be displayed". I get the same if I try to go to gmail. I can get to google just fine in Firefox, but I don't log into gmail in firefox. Anyways...

Things I have tried.

Reset IE. - didn't work.

Cleared temp files - nope

Ran Malwarebytes - nope

Tried adding google as trusted site - nope

Any other suggestions?

:)

musiclover7, Dec 28, 2016
  2. Akhilkj Win User

Unable to access Google websites on Windows 10.

Original Title: problem in opening google.com and youtube

I am a lenovo i5 laptop user with windows10. I can't open Google.com and other Google related sites in any of my internet browsers like edge

Akhilkj, Dec 28, 2016
  3. Unable to access google.com

Hello David,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I'm sorry to know that you are unable to access
    google.com.

Please answer these questions:

1) Are you able to access google.com on different browsers?

2) What error message are you getting while accessing google.com?

3) Which browser are you using?

Please get back to us with the information.

Hope the information helps to fix the issue, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Dec 28, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Unable to get to google.com in Internet explorer? Other browsers ok.

Set DNS to 208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222 see if that helps

Samuria, Dec 28, 2016
  5. It did help.. so what does that mean?

musiclover7, Dec 29, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    Thats a very fast dns server your dns was slow or faulty that one opendns also blocks bad websites

Samuria, Dec 29, 2016
  7. Worked for me too. Been struggling with this issue for a few weeks. Also couldn't reach you tube with Internet explorer but could with other browsers. Changed the DNS numbers last night and BINGO....like magic everything works again!
    Bravo for this website!!

warewasher2025, Dec 29, 2016
  8. Unable to get to google.com in Internet explorer? Other browsers ok.

It does not make sense though. What dns server would I be using if I set my machine to auto detect dns, and wouldn't all of my browsers use the same dns server? There is probably something fundamental here that I am not understanding. I've never had to manually configure dns before on a Windows computer. I always assumed I'd be using a dns server that my isp was providing, and did not think dns was browser specific.

9. And why would a dns server purposefully exclude Google of all things. I know that Windows 10 and edge are pushing hard for bing, but this feels like an over the top tactic. Straight up strong arming. Most will never figure out a way around it..

10. I agree. I have been fiddling with windows since Windows 95 and never had such an odd issue with connecting to websites. Most (me included) would never think to look at these settings.
    Anyway it works !!

warewasher2025, Dec 29, 2016
  11. This is kind of Shocking!! I just reloaded windows 10 as I had an unsettling suspicion that something had been altered somewhere in my OS and I didn't like it. Upon very first boot, I was unable to get to google in both IE and Edge, right up until I re-added these dns servers and restarted my browser. What the holy heck??

Does anyone know where dns settings that are "auto detected" come from?? *Is this Microsoft's doing, is this something nefarious from my ISP, or is this something else that I need to be concerned with. Coincidentally, none of the other machines in my home network are having a problem currently. Just my main machine, and it seems to have carried over*even after reloading windows.

Just*hoping someone can shed some light on this one. Samuria??

musiclover7, Jan 2, 2017
  12. I've done some searching on the internet for the cause here, and am coming up empty. I did go in and leave some feedback for Microsoft and found about 100 other people posted the same thing. It was up at the top of the list. My hunch, is that this is intentional, from microsoft, sort of like how they have made it less obvious how to change default search away from bing in edge or even to set a different home page. This latest though is over the pail. I don't like using a strange static DNS server that could be anywhere just to get to google.

musiclover7, Jan 3, 2017
  13. Berton Win User

Don't know if you've checked but I go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab, LAN Settings button and assure ONLY the "Automatically detect........." item is checked. Some infections/malware like to throw in a Proxy setting and it nearly always causes problems. Sometimes setting the Security tab to Default helps.

Berton, Jan 3, 2017
  14. I did check that. It was set to auto. To fix, I had to manually set to the dns servers that were provided in this thread.

musiclover7, Jan 4, 2017
  15. Samuria Win User
    By default auto dns is set to your router a lot of routers cant handle a lot of dns requests and pass traffic as well netgear is ver bad for that

Samuria, Jan 4, 2017
Thema:

1. Unable to get to google.com in Internet explorer? Other browsers ok. - Similar Threads - Unable google com

2. is it ok to havw a google browser on my windows 10 computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is it ok to havw a google browser on my windows 10 computer: is it ok to run a google browser on my windows 10 computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-ok-to-havw-a-google-browser-on-my-windows-10/ee805acc-4c39-4945-8ebc-3c1aca659d5f
  3. is it ok to havw a google browser on my windows 10 computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is it ok to havw a google browser on my windows 10 computer: is it ok to run a google browser on my windows 10 computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-ok-to-havw-a-google-browser-on-my-windows-10/ee805acc-4c39-4945-8ebc-3c1aca659d5f
  4. is it ok to havw a google browser on my windows 10 computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unable to get sign in info in internet explorer and Chrome

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to get sign in info in internet explorer and Chrome: Hi Team, Am unable to get sign in info Username and Password for SSO to open oracle form in Internet explorer and Chrome where the same is working in Mozilla Firefox. Brief Description: when we click on Oracle URL in IE and Chrome, we are directly getting authentication...
  6. Internet Explorer browser on Xfinity X1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Explorer browser on Xfinity X1: Suggest steps to install Internet Explorer browser on Xfinity X1. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-browser-on-xfinity-x1/6e803994-1ac3-4641-b9fc-13b45dba9330
  7. why can't I get to the internet on Edge but other browsers are OK?

why can't I get to the internet on Edge but other browsers are OK?: Only Edge seems to be dead when I try to get to a website. This works fine with Chrome. We can't have that now can we? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-get-to-the-internet-on-edge-but-other/9d8bfeac-4066-48e7-8e1d-c1129372f42a
  8. Internet Explorer as default browser

Internet Explorer as default browser: Hey, help me to set Internet Explorer as default browser. I want to switch from Microsoft Edge. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-as-default-browser/0eab58b2-1e88-4b7f-a9f0-bbbc436fd1d9
  9. File Explorer trouble with Internet Browser

File Explorer trouble with Internet Browser: Whenever I attempt to access the file explorer from an internet browser (any) it freezes. An example includes attaching an email. I can still drag files from the file explorer for upload into an email. It seems there is a communication issue between the internet browser and...
  10. Google other language not showing in browser

in Browsers and Email
    Google other language not showing in browser: Dear friends, i am using windows 10. And i am using opera browser. But i can't able to see these languages. How to enable. Why it comes?. How to change. Plse tell me. Thanks. [img] 11649