Windows 10: Unable to get Windows 10/ Windows 7 dual boot working

Discus and support Unable to get Windows 10/ Windows 7 dual boot working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an OEM version of Windows 7 Pro installed on the HD of my Dell Precision desktop PC. I wanted to dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7. I therefore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Orcadian, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Orcadian Win User

Unable to get Windows 10/ Windows 7 dual boot working

I have an OEM version of Windows 7 Pro installed on the HD of my Dell Precision desktop PC. I wanted to dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7. I therefore bought a new Windows 7 Pro key and an SSD and installed first Windows 7, then (with difficulty; see below) Windows 10. The HD was offline throughout.

Post-install, I reconnected the HD. Windows 7 (on the HD) can see both disks but Windows 10 (on the SSD) can see only the SSD. I would like to know how to make both disks and O/S's mutually visible so that I can boot either, as desired.

Sequence of events:

1. A new SSD was attached to HDD0 and partitioned. A new instance of Windows 7 was installed in partition 1.

2. Numerous attempts were made to install Windows 10 (v.1909) with the SSD still attached to HDD0. They all failed, due apparently to a Dell RAID / Windows 10 incompatibility. Various Windows 10 folders were left behind, in both partitions of the SSD).

3. The SSD was then attached to SATA0 (the DVD drive connector) and immediately I got a Windows 10 setup prompt. W10 was successfully installed and activated using the new key W7.

Observations:

With the HD on HDD0 and the SSD on HDD1/2/3:

1. Windows 7 (OEM) boots fine. Boot Manager offers W7 or W10 but W10 will not boot.

With the HD on HDD0 and the SSD on SATA1:

1. Windows 7 Boot Manager offers W7 or W10 but W10 will not boot.
    2. To get W10 to boot I have to go into BIOS options and specifically select the SSD.
    3. With SSD selected at BIOS, W10 will now boot but it cannot see the HD.
    4. The W10 Boot Manager contains only the W10 boot loader. The W7 one cannot be added because the HD is not visible.

I am out of ideas here and some lateral thinking would be really helpful. Could the problem arise from the different methods of installing (the new) Windows 7 and Windows 10? For W7 the SSD was on HDD0 but for Windows 10 it was on SATA1. If so, what would fix it? Any thoughts on that appreciated - thanks.Attachment 263856
    Unable to get Windows 10/ Windows 7 dual boot working [​IMG]

:)

Orcadian, Jan 21, 2020
  2. puma99dk| Win User
    puma99dk|, Jan 21, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    windows 10 boot problems

I had windows 10 installed on my old laptop, I also had a boot problem, but my HDD just stopped spinning and I was unable to load windows.
    It still had the Asus factory recovery partition which I used to reinstall windows 7.
    I found out that my HDD was fine in windows 7, nothing wrong with it, staying with windows 7 SP1 on this laptop and I stay with windows 8.1 on my main laptop.
    No windows 10 for me!

P4-630, Jan 21, 2020
  4. Unable to get Windows 10/ Windows 7 dual boot working

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jan 21, 2020
Thema:

Unable to get Windows 10/ Windows 7 dual boot working

1. Unable to get Windows 10/ Windows 7 dual boot working - Similar Threads - Unable dual boot

2. Can't get dual boot Windows 7 / Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get dual boot Windows 7 / Windows 10: I'm trying to set up my computer to allow me to dual boot into Windows 7 and Windows 10. I have some critical programs that won't run in windows 10, so I need to keep my windows 7 install available. I also decided to buy a SSD to run windows 10 on, so I could get better...
  3. Dual booting Windows 7 and 10

Dual booting Windows 7 and 10: I have a PC running Windows 7 Home Premium, boot mode is 'Legacy BIOS in UEFI secure boot not supported', motherboard is a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H with a 100 Mhz bus, 16GB memory and 'UEFI: American Megatrends F5 05/16/2013' with a 250GB SSD. I want to dual boot with W7 and W10....
  4. Windows 7/10 dual boot?

Windows 7/10 dual boot?: About time I changed to Windows 10 (Pro) I guess. However, I would perhaps (still mulling pros and cons) like to have a dual boot with my current Windows 7 (Home) - the PC is 99% used for gaming (X-Plane 11) and some of the older hardware I use, and want to keep, such as a...
  5. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  6. Dual booting Windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Windows 10 and 7: I have a machine with the following specs: i5 3570K 8GB DDR3 1600 Z77 Pro4-M HD7950 1x1TB WD Blue (D:\ and F:\ Windows 7 x64) 1x250GB Seagate Surveillance HDD (C:\) (Windows 10 x64) Windows 7 is installed on the 1TB drive, and Windows 10 is installed on the 250GB drive. At...
  7. Window 7 & 10 with dual boot mode not working

Window 7 & 10 with dual boot mode not working: So I wanted to get going with Windows 10 but i have lot of stuff on my existing machine mostly programming setup, so i was not sure what will work and what will not after the upgrade. so to give it a real chance i decided to install win 10 in dual boot mode with win 7. This...
  8. Dual booting windows 7 and 10

Dual booting windows 7 and 10: I have just upgraded windows 7 to windows 10... I've bought a new ssd to install windows 10, but it was installed over my windows 7(in the old ssd) in the process.... Articles in this forum say that you cannot dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, since once you proceed to...
  9. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  10. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...