Windows 10: Unable to hibernate or shutdown in Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to hibernate or shutdown in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I am unable to shutdown or hibernate in Windows 10. Shutdown works only after disabling Fast Startup. I turned off hibernation and turned it back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pmmusale, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Unable to hibernate or shutdown in Windows 10

Hi,

I am unable to shutdown or hibernate in Windows 10. Shutdown works only after disabling Fast Startup. I turned off hibernation and turned it back on using command line. Removed and added power plans. Removed and installed both AMD (CPU) and NVIDIA (GPU) display drivers.

I am facing same issues as shown in below thread and followed all links and solutions listed there but none of them worked. Updates are working fine and I installed latest insider Beta channel build today. This problem is happening even before installing insider build.

1- Unable to put it in Hibernate mode: whenever I select the option it just locks the screen, failing to shut down.

2- Unable to shut down when fast startup is enabled: I had to disable the option to be able to shutdown my PC.

Windows 10 won't shut down or hibernate

Please let me know if anybody was able to solve this?

Device and OS details -
    Edition - Windows 10 Pro
    Version - 21H1
    Installed on - ‎2/‎18/‎2021
    OS build - 19043.844
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

ASUS Zephyrus G14
    Processor AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS with Radeon Graphics 3.00 GHz
    Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.4 GB usable)
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

submitted by /u/pmmusale
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/pmmusale, Feb 22, 2021

2. Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
    Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
    Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
    Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
    I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
    You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

Unable to hibernate or shutdown in Windows 10 Desktopicons-1.png

Bald Eagle, Feb 22, 2021
  3. Unable to hibernate

I was unable to shutdown or hibernate after the latest build. The computer would keep presenting the login screen. Upon suggestions I disabled "fast startup". This fixed the shutdown problem as my computer now successfully shuts down but when I try to hibernate
    one of two things happened. I am presented the login screen. Or sometimes the computer would shut down altogether.

I am running build 1709. I am also part of Windows Insider Program and am running build 17063.

I have tried most of the solutions mentioned on the forum including:

• "sfc /scannow"
    • Disabling settings in inter power management device driver
    • Tweaking settings in advanced power options
    • Troubleshooting power options
    • Disable "Fast Startup"

KartikeyAgrawal, Feb 22, 2021
  4. Unable to hibernate or shutdown in Windows 10

Unable to Shutdown Windows 10

Unable to shutdown/hibernate my windows 10 pro N which is dual boot with ubuntu (windows last updated on 8/27/2020, today) problem happening from last month (around 4-5 weeks).

What happening exactly

>>If i try to poweroff using Alt + F4 or any other options, black screen appears and within few seconds again back on lockscreen same things happening for hibernate.

>>I can restart my pc normally and forced shutdown is also working.

>>I can poweroff normally from Ubuntu after restarting.

I have tried

• Troubleshooted windows update and power
    • run windows file check (sfc /scannow)
    • tried resetting power options to default
    • tried enabling disabling fast startup
    • unable to hibernate also
    • updated battery drivers
    • not enrolled for windows insider
    Help! Help! Help!

raj_kumar_sharma, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

Unable to hibernate or shutdown in Windows 10

1. Unable to hibernate or shutdown in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable hibernate shutdown

2. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  3. Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep?: I'm using AMD laptop. Which is best to use? Hibernate, Shutdown or Sleep? I heard Macbook are recommended to use Sleep, Does it same to Windows laptop? Which three consume more and least power?...
  4. Unable to hibernate or shutdown in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to hibernate or shutdown in Windows 10: Hi, I am unable to shutdown or hibernate in Windows 10. Shutdown works only after disabling Fast Startup. I turned off hibernation and turned it back on using command line. Removed and added power plans. Removed and installed both AMD CPU and NVIDIA GPU display drivers....
  5. Unable to Shutdown Windows 10

Unable to Shutdown Windows 10: Unable to shutdown/hibernate my windows 10 pro N which is dual boot with ubuntu windows last updated on 8/27/2020, today problem happening from last month around 4-5 weeks. What happening exactly >>If i try to poweroff using Alt + F4 or any other options, black screen...
  6. Hibernating and shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernating and shutdown: Hi All i have a problem when hibernating it wakes up after a while and the reason it says in event viewer is unknown and the powercfg -waketimer shows me nothing. 162306
  7. Unable to hibernate windows 10 laptop.

Unable to hibernate windows 10 laptop.: Hi I have been facing a problem recently. I m unable to hibernate my sytem. its windows 10 version 2004, build 19041.329. Its a dell xps laptop. It was working fine but now it doesn hybernate. It does hibernate after i close all the running applications. WIthout that the...
  8. Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate (windows 10)

Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate (windows 10): I have new HP Spectre x360 and from begining I am not able to shut it down or sleep or hibernate. It shut down and after 3-4 seconds boots backup again. I have already spent 3 days with solving it and i tried everything what i found on internet. I tried: - intel management...
  9. Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate

Unable to shutdown/sleep/hibernate: I have new HP Spectre x360 and from begining I am not able to shut it down or sleep or hibernate. It shut down and after 3-4 seconds boots backup again. I have already spent 3 days with solving it and i tried everything what i found on internet. I tried: - intel management...
  10. shutdown after hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    shutdown after hibernate: hi Is my pc going to hibernate and then when i want to work afterwarts no problem. The problem is when i press the on off button of my desktop nothing happend. I can only sutdown my pc by the startmenu schutdown Why ? 82547