Windows 10: Unable to import computer.reg

Discus and support Unable to import computer.reg in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; All folders and programs (except registry editor) are closed. Windows 10 Pro. version 1803 I exported my entire registry, then tried to import it back.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jona9, Oct 11, 2018.

1. jona9 Win User

Unable to import computer.reg

All folders and programs (except registry editor) are closed. Windows 10 Pro. version 1803
    I exported my entire registry, then tried to import it back. Result:
    Cannot import C:\Users\jon\Desktop\regedit\RegEditBU\Computer.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes, or you have insufficient privileges to perform this operation.
    (More in privileges later)
    So I then exported the five individual HKEY's, and only HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG was successfully imported back, "The keys and values contained in C:\Users\jon\Desktop\regedit\RegEditBU\HKCC.reg have been successfully added to the registry."
    I then started playing with HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts, changing LogPixels to 61 in the registry editor, exported it, and saw that the resulting .reg file reflected the change. Then in the .reg file I edited the 61 back to 60, and imported it back. The LogPixels was back to its original 60. So, I think I have proper privileges.
    I followed the suggestion to perform an in-place repair with the installation disk that I used for the original installation. It was not successful, the only option available was to save NOTHING. Reasoning that there is probably a mismatch between my current installed version and the media version (bootable DVD), I downloaded the current version from MS. Then the in-place repair was successful.
    I then exported the entire registry, but importing it back was still unsuccessful. So I exported the five KEYS individually, and only HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG was successfully imported. So I tried the individual directories in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and here's the result:

HKCUAppEvents.reg OK
    HKCUConsole.reg OK
    HKCUControlPanel.reg OK
    HKCUEnvironment.reg OK
    HKCUEUDC.reg OK
    HKCUKeyboardLayout.reg OK
    HKCUPrinters.reg OK
    HKCUSoftware.reg Cannot import Error accessing the registry, then later Cannot import C:\Users\jon\Desktop\regedit\RegEditBU\HKCUSoftware.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes, or you have insufficient privileges to perform this operation.
    HKCUSystem.reg OK
    HKCUVolatileEnvironment.reg OK

I'm out of ideas.

:)

jona9, Oct 11, 2018
  2. Try3 Win User

Import reg file in a batch file

I suggest that, as a first step, you edit the batch file so it captures the errorlevel after the reg import command.

- Something simple such asecho The reg import command result is - %ErrorLevel% will do as long as long as you put it in as the line straight after the reg import command and then put aPause command in as the next line [before restarting explorer] so you can have a look.

- Checking the errorlevel will tell you whether reg import thinks it has completed correctly or not.
    - While you are checking the errorlevel you could also go to the Registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search] to see what has happened to it [make sure you Refresh the view if you were already at that key beforehand]

I have never used reg import but I know there are optional arguments for 32/64 bit items so perhaps you might investigate them
    - enter reg import /? >RegImport.txt in a command prompt to save the Help guidance that mentions these switches.
    - I do not think these switches are relevant but I have never investigated their use properly.
    - For all I know, the problem might be as simple as reg import not being able to handle the comment lines, such as ; Cartella utente, properly

Best of luck,
    Denis

3. Arun B J Win User
    Unable to import photos

Hi Georgio,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• How are you trying to import photos?
    • Are you getting any error message?
    You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your hardware and devices.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter
    I suggest you to refer the link below and check if it helps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/import-photos-videos

It applies to Windows 10 also.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you

Arun B J, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Windows 10 regedit cannot import a reg file

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Did you save the reg file on the same computer?

have you saved the registry file as ".reg"?
    Is the issue specific to this particular reg file?

Are you trying to import a reg file from another computer?

Please answer to these question to assist you better.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to import computer.reg - Similar Threads - Unable import computer

2. Unable to import Object Classes into notebook computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to import Object Classes into notebook computer: On my Windows 10 Pro install for my work laptop, I have LDAP instance installed and installed all the necessary admin tools. I have connected the editor tool called ASDI Edit to the LDAP instance. I have installed a virtual Windows Machine and a virtual switch on my XTec...
  3. Unable to import Object Classes into notebook computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to import Object Classes into notebook computer: On my Windows 10 Pro install for my work laptop, I have LDAP instance installed and installed all the necessary admin tools. I have connected the editor tool called ASDI Edit to the LDAP instance. I have installed a virtual Windows Machine and a virtual switch on my XTec...
  4. Unable to import Object Classes into notebook computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. REG Import

in Windows 10 Support
    REG Import: Good afternoon, I am putting a Batch file together that involves exporting and importing the Registry. However, I have a question. I am only posting the relevant parts of the code instead of the whole code. To export the Registry I am using . . . Code: for %%a in (HKLM HKCU...
  6. unable to import pictures

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unable to import pictures: I am unable to upload pics because the option for import is no longer there. it just has the cancel option. Anyway to fix this? it used to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-import-pictures/882d8c25-9004-49af-979f-291dffa7ad30
  7. Importing photos - suddenly unable to change import destination

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Importing photos - suddenly unable to change import destination: I have been importing photos for many years without issue. However, recently, the import destination defaults to: C:\Users\me\OneDrive\Pictures. I don't have OneDrive operational on my laptop so, obviously, don't want that destination. I try to amend the destination to my...
  8. Import reg file in a batch file

in Windows 10 Support
    Import reg file in a batch file: Hi, i've a reg file to mod windows 10 that works properly, but if i import it in a batch file it doesn't work. this is the reg file i've called Windows10.reg Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...
  9. Cannot import .reg. Error opening the file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot import .reg. Error opening the file.: ...There may be a disk or file system error. Happens when double-clicking reg-file on the NAS-share, which is mapped as a network drive. User is a user with admin rights (membership of Administrators group), and it is the first and only user that was created while W10 was...
  10. A REGISTRY mystery - reg file doesn't import properly

in Windows 10 Support
    A REGISTRY mystery - reg file doesn't import properly: I have imported hundreds of reg files into every windows build since 95, now I run into another W10 mystery. I have a complete export of the key REPETIER. When I import it some REG_SZ entries do not import. This is an unmodified export of a sub-key under Repetier. reg...