Windows 10: Unable to import or upload images from camera

Discus and support Unable to import or upload images from camera in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have never had problems with uploading photos from my camera but now I can't. Why? I have followed my usual method but it no longer works. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Lamalou 30-&, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Unable to import or upload images from camera

I have never had problems with uploading photos from my camera but now I can't. Why? I have followed my usual method but it no longer works. I am not very computer literate and don't understand all the 'speak'.

* Moved from Community Participation Center

***Modified Title form: Why can I not upload photos?***

:)

Lamalou 30-&, Apr 14, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

Increase image file upload size cap

that's a good idea

W1zzard, Apr 14, 2019
  3. Aquinus Win User

Okay, first off, people need to learn to calm down. That includes the OP and everyone replying. I would consider this a very legitimate concern he raises and I'll explain why and what I would suggest to fix it to address all the concerns brought up.

I see three sides to this.
    • OneMoar wants to upload bigger files. Generally speaking, most users are lazy so this is a valid concern from a usability standpoint. While I do believe there should be an upload limit, there should be a separate storage limit.
    • Concern with bandwidth: I suspect that uploading images is a relatively small amount of bandwidth and that serving up said images is much more costly. So that would put emphasis on getting not putting if bandwidth is a concern.
    • Storage, a very real concern because a lot of images adds up quickly which adds a need to efficiently store said images.
    So my suggestion (assuming W1zz wanted to do this out of kindness of his heart,) is this:
    • Increase upload limit to 10-20MB max.
    • Institute a storage limit of 2-5MB max.
    • Use PHP's GD library to convert uploaded images to JPEG or PNG.
      • PNGs tend to look nicer than JPEGs, but use more space. Probably preferable for smaller images or images requiring transparency.
      • JPEG tends to be very flexible when it comes to quality and the amount of compression. PHP's GD lib gives you control over this.
    So long as the image is uploaded in a format GD can read which includes most commonly used formats, it may not be unrealistic to re-store it in a different format. It's also not unrealistic to use GD to scale the image as well.

I've used GD before and it's relatively easy to use and is relatively quick with respect to performance. I would be willing to write up some examples with respect to how to do it if it were welcomed.

Side note: I see a watermark, GD might be getting used already so this might not be a stretch if the CPU cycles are there to spare.

Aquinus, Apr 14, 2019
  4. AsRock Win User

Unable to import or upload images from camera

Limit each person to what they can upload ?, well that's terrible after time as posted pics end up deleted and leave useful threads with missing pictures.

Or did it misunderstand point number 2.

AsRock, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

Unable to import or upload images from camera

1. Unable to import or upload images from camera - Similar Threads - Unable import upload

2. Unable to import photos directly from camera

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to import photos directly from camera: I'm unable to import photos directly from my camera since Windows 10 . Please advise if this is still possible and provide a solution, thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-import-photos-directly-from-camera/6869cace-832d-4901-9a8e-0642e5602cf3
  3. Importing pictures from camera

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Importing pictures from camera: Up until recently when I imported multiple pictures they would be grouped into a file folder and listed with the file folder type. Now my pictures are importing individually with the jpg type. How do I go back to importing multiple pictures into a file folder as a group?...
  4. Unable to import photos from camera using Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to import photos from camera using Windows 10: I have connected my camera via USB port Photo opens on my computer tells me I have so many new photos to import but when I press import nothing happens and then the Photo app closes? the first time I downloaded photos it worked no problem but since then only a week ago it...
  5. Importing photos from camera

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Importing photos from camera: I have a Fuji JX420 digital camera, about 10 years old. All of a sudden, it won't let me import photos from camera to computer. I get a msg " 0 videos imported" but I'm not trying to import videos, just photos! I even tried shooting a video and importing it, and got the same...
  6. importing pictures from a camera

importing pictures from a camera: Up until yesterday, when I plugged in my Canon camera with a USB cord to my computer, all I had to do was turn on the camera and Windows 10 automatically imported only my most recent photos. But today, when I turn my camera on, Windows 10 won't do that, and the only way I...
  7. UPLOADING PICTURES FROM CAMERA

UPLOADING PICTURES FROM CAMERA: Had great experience uploading pictures from my Kodak Easy Share Z730 .. until camera died. I replaced it with a used but identical model. Now I'm not having same results .. actually NO results at all. Help, please !...
  8. uploading pictures from camera

uploading pictures from camera: can not figure out how to upload pictures from camera to computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uploading-pictures-from-camera/2e112f78-1c75-475d-82ad-7c14c389a41a"
  9. import photos from camera

import photos from camera: I can't seem to figure out why the folder where the photos are is what opens up when I plug in a usb camera and not the photo app. I have autoplay enabled and photo as my default photo viewer. 16502
  10. Inadequacies in Windows Explorer and Camera Image Uploads

in Windows 10 Support
    Inadequacies in Windows Explorer and Camera Image Uploads: Since I frequently update websites and save new images off my camera, I am painfully aware of Windows 10 "simplifications". For example, 1. Offloading images from my camera puts them in a folder titled "year-month". With Windows 7, the folder also had the day in the title...