Windows 10: Unable to install a game on disk D

Discus and support Unable to install a game on disk D in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My drive C is too small to install anything on it. So I want to install a game Forza Horizon 4 that I’ve purchased from Windows Store to my D: drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RosaRosa2, Jan 9, 2019.

1. RosaRosa2 Win User

Unable to install a game on disk D

My drive C is too small to install anything on it. So I want to install a game Forza Horizon 4 that I’ve purchased from Windows Store to my D: drive. However when I click on Install and select the install location, I get nothing. But if I am installing on the C: drive, it works flawlessly.

:)

RosaRosa2, Jan 9, 2019

2. installing a game

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
    We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Please try the steps given below and check if the issue persists:

Step 1:

I suggest you to right click on the game and try to run as administrator and check.

Step 2: if that doesn't help I suggest you to install game in compatibility mode and check:

Follow the steps below on how to install game in compatibility mode:

1. Download the game from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the game and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the game install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Venkatesh1709, Jan 9, 2019
  3. Unable to install a game on Windows 10.

Hello Garrett,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand you are unable to install the game on your computer.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you the administrator of the user profile?
    • What is the error message/error code you get on trying to install the game on computer?
    • Did you check if the game is compatible with the current operating system?

You may be facing the above issue due to the incompatibility of the game software with the current operating system on your computer.

I suggest you to install the game software in Compatibility mode by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

Before installing the game in compatibility mode, i suggest you to delete all the game related files present in the system and proceed with the steps below.

Step 1: Compatibility mode runs the program in the current version of Windows using the settings from previous version of Windows.

• Locate and right-click on the game setup file on your PC and click on
      Properties.
    • Click on the compatibility tab, check the box
      Run this program in compatibility mode for
      , select Windows 10 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done,
      restart the computer for the effective changes to take place.

Step 2: You can also follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

c. Check if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 9, 2019
  4. yogurt_21 Win User

Steam does not install from disk?!?!

no you're doing steps 1 and 2 wrong. steam creates the directory, you stop steam and then you install the game from the disk to that directory.

also steam must be off, not in offline mode but off, aka no steam services in the task manager when you install the game.

yogurt_21, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to install a game on disk D - Similar Threads - Unable install game

2. Unable to open local disk D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to open local disk D: Hi,Somehow I can not open my Local Disk D at all. When I use the file explorer it only shows the Local Disk C but doesn't show how much space is left on it either. When I click on the icon, it doesn't respond at all too. Please help....
  3. Unable to open local disk D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open local disk D: Hi,Somehow I can not open my Local Disk D at all. When I use the file explorer it only shows the Local Disk C but doesn't show how much space is left on it either. When I click on the icon, it doesn't respond at all too. Please help....
  4. Unable to install gamepass games onto D drive.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to install gamepass games onto D drive.: Having an issue were i am unable to install onto my D drive through XBOX App and Microsoft Store, Issue only happens when trying to download Gamepass related games, Microsoft store only asks me where to install on non Gamepass. Have done all troubleshooting otherwise found on...
  5. Unable to install gamepass games onto D drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install gamepass games onto D drive.: Having an issue were i am unable to install onto my D drive through XBOX App and Microsoft Store, Issue only happens when trying to download Gamepass related games, Microsoft store only asks me where to install on non Gamepass. Have done all troubleshooting otherwise found on...
  6. Unable to install gamepass games onto D drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to install game to D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to install game to D drive: I just bought Forza 5 and do not have enough space on my C drive for the game. This is a family PC and there are several other accounts on it. I've already set my default to the D drive but when I try to install it it says there is not enough space and does not give me an...
  8. Unable to install game to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install game to D drive: I just bought Forza 5 and do not have enough space on my C drive for the game. This is a family PC and there are several other accounts on it. I've already set my default to the D drive but when I try to install it it says there is not enough space and does not give me an...
  9. Unable to install game to D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  10. Unable to install games on D drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to install games on D drive: The Microsoft store will not install onto my D drive. I've tried changing the default save location but it tells me that there are apps on the drive and it is unable to delete them. Ive purchased Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 and would really like to install it but the app simply...