Windows 10: unable to install external bacck up hard drive - "UNRECOGNIZED" error

Discus and support unable to install external bacck up hard drive - "UNRECOGNIZED" error in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a up to date Windows 10 OS on a Del desktop. I am unable to install a new Seagate 10TB external storage Backup plus Hub. After I plug in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PDman58, May 27, 2019.

1. PDman58 Win User

unable to install external bacck up hard drive - "UNRECOGNIZED" error

I have a up to date Windows 10 OS on a Del desktop.

I am unable to install a new Seagate 10TB external storage Backup plus Hub.

After I plug in the USB to the correct USB 3.0 port, the external drive temporarily appears in the PC Device Manager List as a Disc Drive that is working properly. However the Seagate Back Up beeps for about 1 minute and I then receive an error message that Windows does not recognize the Seagate and it is an "unknown USB device" "set address FAILED" "DRIVER ERROR".

How do I properly install this new external hard drive?

NOTE I was using a Seagate external hard drive with less memory before trying to install the new one and it works.

:)

PDman58, May 27, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, May 27, 2019
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, May 27, 2019
  4. Mark Isi Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi,

Just to verify, did you mean, your back up files used to be on your external hard drive, but now it's no longer there? If this is true, kindly provide more answers to the questions below, so we can further assess the issue:

• When did the files start to disappear?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Did you make nay changes on the settings of your PC or hard drive prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to plug in your external drive?
    • Does your external drive shows that the space is consumed?

Please advise. We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, May 27, 2019
Thema:

1. unable to install external bacck up hard drive - "UNRECOGNIZED" error - Similar Threads - unable install external

2. Unable to initialize external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to initialize external hard drive: Hi, I was using an external hard drive on my PS4 however it just randomly stopped working after well over a years use. I plugged it into my PC but i could not see it. When i open disk management and do a disk scan i can then see it appear in the disk management section...
  3. Unable to eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to eject external hard drive: My new computer came with a previous version of windows 10 home a couple weeks ago. I had to download the newer version of Windows 10 in order to use the newest versions of Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Not long after downloading this I started to notice that I was unable...
  4. Unrecognized Hard Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unrecognized Hard Drive Partition: So I went to defrag my drives the other day and saw this new volume that I'm not sure about. Does anyone have any info as to what this might be? I have system recovery disabled and I tried wiping the restore points thinking it was something like that but it's still in my...
  5. Unable to detect external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to detect external hard drive: I have been attempting to download files from my external hard drive on my surface but cannot seem to find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-detect-external-hard-drive/80f9a17b-73ac-4cc6-8d42-74714afeb773
  6. Unrecognized external Hard drive

Unrecognized external Hard drive: I have a 4TB hard drive that was previously setup in a Shuttle OMNINAS KD20 NAS with another 4Tb drive. In the NAS they were setup as JBOD. One day you could see the files on the drives, the next day you couldn't. I pulled both drives and attempted to recover the files using...
  7. External hard drive installation

External hard drive installation: I am using Windows 10 and am trying to get my computer recognize my external hard drive via a USB port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-installation/5fbf5c54-03af-4c0a-95aa-c2d0f473c5ec
  8. Unable to read external Hard Drive

Unable to read external Hard Drive: I have Windows 10. I am trying to retrieve data from a Western Digital hard drive which has worked on this system in the past. I now find that the system is unable to recognise the drive and I get a message "incorrect parameter" Some help would be apreciated. Regards...
  9. Unable to see external hard drive

Unable to see external hard drive: Hi, When I look in my computer or device manager my external hard drives are not visible. However, when I connect the hard drives it makes the usb connection sound. The drives are visible when connected to a different computer. But not when connected to a different usb on...
  10. Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized

Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized: Hello, I hope someone can help me. Microsoft just updated the Win 10 installation on my main computer and now my WD My Passport 4TB hard drive is not recognized. It shows as "Local Disk (H*Smile" in Windows Explorer, and in Disk Management it shows as being empty and the file...