Windows 10: Unable to install from USB recovery disk

Discus and support Unable to install from USB recovery disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I created a USB recovery disk 10 months ago. Recently I had issues with my PC and went to use the recovery disk to reinstall a clean version of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ClaytonCampbell4, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Unable to install from USB recovery disk

I created a USB recovery disk 10 months ago. Recently I had issues with my PC and went to use the recovery disk to reinstall a clean version of Windows. The PC brought up the recovery program, deleted all the files on the computer's hard drive and then failed to reinstall windows. Looking at the contents of the drive it has folders for EFI and sources.

The reagent.xml file shows the following:

<WindowsRE version="2.0">

<WinreBCD id="{5fc52f6d-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-88d73650f8af}"/>

<WinreLocation path="\Recovery\WindowsRE" id="480482667" offset="105906176" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"/>

<ImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"/>

<PBRImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" index="0"/>

<PBRCustomImageLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" index="0"/>

<InstallState state="1"/>

<OsInstallAvailable state="0"/>

<CustomImageAvailable state="0"/>

<IsAutoRepairOn state="1"/>

<WinREStaged state="0"/>

<OperationParam path=""/>

<OperationPermanent state="0"/>

<OsBuildVersion path="18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202"/>

<OemTool state="1"/>

<IsServer state="0"/>

<DownlevelWinreLocation path="" id="0" offset="0" guid="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}"/>

<IsWimBoot state="0"/>

<NarratorScheduled state="0"/>

<ScheduledOperation state="5"/>

</WindowsRE>

The USB recovery disk uses 6GB of a 16GB device and is recognized by the PC when booted in UEFI mode [choose keyboard layout comes up and proceeds to recovery]. Recovery runs and ends with 'There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made' other than deleting everything off the hard drive. If I go into TroubleShoot\Command Prompt I'm placed in the X: drive. In Notepad I can navigate through the directories I would expect to see on the recovery drive. Regedit opens up the registry.

Looking for suggestions on how to proceed. At the very least, can I extract the Windows license from the USB drive to install a clean install off an ISO?

Thanks.

:)

ClaytonCampbell4, Jan 21, 2021
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jan 21, 2021
  3. windows 10 recovery usb disk drive

hi . all

i was create usb recovery disk drive with windows 10 update 1803 ,

i want to know steps to recover system using usb disk drive , to this update vision .

please , in step like that

1- put usb recovery disk drive on computer usb

2-

3-

4-

thanks , regards,

ahmedallamBW, Jan 21, 2021
  4. KTR
    ktr Win User

Unable to install from USB recovery disk

USB install XP onto old laptop

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

Download the boot disk setup, create all 6 boot disks. Insert XP CD, and run off the boot disk, and follow the on screen steps. Then the boot disk will access the XP CD to finish up the install.

I dont think there is a way to install XP via usb if your computer does not support usb booting in the first place.

Thema:

Unable to install from USB recovery disk

1. Unable to install from USB recovery disk - Similar Threads - Unable install USB

2. Unable to Install Windows From Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Install Windows From Recovery Drive: Hi all,I’m having an issue where I cannot install windows from a recovery drive I created. I created a recovery drive on a 32 GB, new, USB drive. I bought it for this purpose and it has nothing else on it. I am attempting to replace a HDD on an old computer with a SDD. I...
  3. Unable to Install Windows From Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Install Windows From Recovery Drive: Hi all,I’m having an issue where I cannot install windows from a recovery drive I created. I created a recovery drive on a 32 GB, new, USB drive. I bought it for this purpose and it has nothing else on it. I am attempting to replace a HDD on an old computer with a SDD. I...
  4. Unable to Install Windows From Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recovery from a USB recovery disk

Recovery from a USB recovery disk: Hello,Please can you help.My 1tb hdd in my laptop has crashed. Fortunately, I created a USB Recovery disk.I purchased a 250gb ssd as a replacement, intending to use a portable drive for storage and ssd just for boot and apps.I tried recovering from USP Recovery disk, but it...
  6. Unable to install Windows 10 from USB

Unable to install Windows 10 from USB: Hi guys i built a new pc with no OS installed, got the windows 10 home retail pack which comes with the USB installer. Changed to boot from USB, it runs and theres a loading bar below, after the bar is completed it loads and show a windows 10 icon before showing asus logo....
  7. Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk: Hi got hp laptop use Windows 10 M.E and chrome there are 3 of us using this laptop all with our own names and passwords .changed my password to a pin number now I cannot remember my letter password it won't let me reset it says I need a USB password recovery disc which I...
  8. Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk: Hi got hp laptop use Windows 10 M.E and chrome there are 3 of us using this laptop all with our own names and passwords .changed my password to a pin number now I cannot remember my letter password it won't let me reset it says I need a USB password recovery disc which I...
  9. Cannot Create Recovery Disk - USB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot Create Recovery Disk - USB: I have just bought a new Inspiron 15 5000 Dell with Windows 10 and cannot create a recovery drive. Do you know how I can fix this? 22683
  10. Win 10 recovery USB disk

Win 10 recovery USB disk: I am trying to create a recovery USB drive from which I can install Windows 10 fresh, if needed. Or quickly restore system images in case of a drive issue. There are a couple of things I am not clear about. Background: I have an ASUS laptop that came with Windows 8.1,...