Windows 10: Unable to install SQL Server (setup.exe)

Discus and support Unable to install SQL Server (setup.exe) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was trying to install SQL Server 2017 Express Edition on my Windows 10 Pro machine. I received this message: "Oops... Unable to install SQL Server... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by devonmadams, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Unable to install SQL Server (setup.exe)

I was trying to install SQL Server 2017 Express Edition on my Windows 10 Pro machine. I received this message: "Oops... Unable to install SQL Server (setup.exe).

Under Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server I have three folders. 110, 120, and 140.

110 and 140 are dated for today so i will show the summary of the most recent one.

========================================================

Overall summary:
    Final result: Failed: see details below
    Exit code (Decimal): -2147024893
    Exit facility code: 7
    Exit error code: 3
    Exit message: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20181116_102500'.
    Start time: 2018-11-16 10:25:02
    End time: 2018-11-16 10:55:47
    Requested action: Install
    Exception help link: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=14.0.1000.169&EvtType=0x60797DC7%400xEB4303F7&EvtType=0x60797DC7%400xEB4303F7

Setup completed with required actions for features.
    Troubleshooting information for those features:
    Next step for SQLEngine: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
    Next step for Browser: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
    Next step for Writer: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
    Next step for SNAC: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
    Next step for SNAC_SDK: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
    Next step for ComponentUpdate: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.

Machine Properties:
    Machine name: LAPTOP-ASUS
    Machine processor count: 8
    OS version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (10.0.16299)
    OS service pack:
    OS region: United States
    OS language: English (United States)
    OS architecture: x64
    Process architecture: 64 Bit
    OS clustered: No

Product features discovered:
    Product Instance Instance ID Feature Language Edition Version Clustered Configured

Package properties:
    Description: Microsoft SQL Server 2017
    ProductName: SQL Server 2017
    Type: RTM
    Version: 14
    SPLevel: 0
    Installation location: D:\SQLServer2017Media\Express_ENU\x64\setup\
    Installation edition: Express

Product Update Status:
    User selected not to include product updates.

User Input Settings:
    ACTION: Install
    ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN: true
    AGTSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    AGTSVCPASSWORD: *****
    AGTSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Disabled
    ASBACKUPDIR: Backup
    ASCOLLATION: Latin1_General_CI_AS
    ASCONFIGDIR: Config
    ASDATADIR: Data
    ASLOGDIR: Log
    ASPROVIDERMSOLAP: 1
    ASSERVERMODE: TABULAR
    ASSVCACCOUNT: <empty>
    ASSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    ASSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic
    ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS: <empty>
    ASTELSVCACCT: <empty>
    ASTELSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    ASTELSVCSTARTUPTYPE: 0
    ASTEMPDIR: Temp
    BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Disabled
    CLTCTLRNAME: <empty>
    CLTRESULTDIR: <empty>
    CLTSTARTUPTYPE: 0
    CLTSVCACCOUNT: <empty>
    CLTSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    CLTWORKINGDIR: <empty>
    COMMFABRICENCRYPTION: 0
    COMMFABRICNETWORKLEVEL: 0
    COMMFABRICPORT: 0
    CONFIGURATIONFILE: D:\Windows\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20181116_102500\ConfigurationFile.ini
    CTLRSTARTUPTYPE: 0
    CTLRSVCACCOUNT: <empty>
    CTLRSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    CTLRUSERS: <empty>
    ENABLERANU: true
    ENU: true
    EXTSVCACCOUNT: <empty>
    EXTSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    FEATURES: SQLENGINE
    FILESTREAMLEVEL: 0
    FILESTREAMSHARENAME: <empty>
    FTSVCACCOUNT: <empty>
    FTSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    HELP: false
    IACCEPTPYTHONLICENSETERMS: false
    IACCEPTROPENLICENSETERMS: false
    IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS: true
    INDICATEPROGRESS: true
    INSTALLSHAREDDIR: D:\Windows\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
    INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\
    INSTALLSQLDATADIR: <empty>
    INSTANCEDIR: D:\Windows\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
    INSTANCEID: SQLEXPRESS
    INSTANCENAME: SQLEXPRESS
    ISMASTERSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\Network Service
    ISMASTERSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    ISMASTERSVCPORT: 8391
    ISMASTERSVCSSLCERTCN: <empty>
    ISMASTERSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic
    ISMASTERSVCTHUMBPRINT: <empty>
    ISSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\Network Service
    ISSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic
    ISTELSVCACCT: <empty>
    ISTELSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    ISTELSVCSTARTUPTYPE: 0
    ISWORKERSVCACCOUNT: NT AUTHORITY\Network Service
    ISWORKERSVCCERT: <empty>
    ISWORKERSVCMASTER: <empty>
    ISWORKERSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    ISWORKERSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic
    MATRIXCMBRICKCOMMPORT: 0
    MATRIXCMSERVERNAME: <empty>
    MATRIXNAME: <empty>
    MRCACHEDIRECTORY:
    NPENABLED: 0
    PBDMSSVCACCOUNT: <empty>
    PBDMSSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    PBDMSSVCSTARTUPTYPE: 0
    PBENGSVCACCOUNT: <empty>
    PBENGSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    PBENGSVCSTARTUPTYPE: 0
    PBPORTRANGE: <empty>
    PBSCALEOUT: false
    PID: *****
    QUIET: true
    QUIETSIMPLE: false
    ROLE: AllFeatures_WithDefaults
    RSINSTALLMODE: DefaultNativeMode
    RSSVCACCOUNT: <empty>
    RSSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    RSSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic
    SAPWD: <empty>
    SECURITYMODE: <empty>
    SQLBACKUPDIR: <empty>
    SQLCOLLATION: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
    SQLSVCACCOUNT: NT Service\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS
    SQLSVCINSTANTFILEINIT: true
    SQLSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic
    SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS: LAPTOP-ASUS\devon
    SQLTELSVCACCT: NT Service\SQLTELEMETRY$SQLEXPRESS
    SQLTELSVCPASSWORD: <empty>
    SQLTELSVCSTARTUPTYPE: Automatic
    SQLTEMPDBDIR: <empty>
    SQLTEMPDBFILECOUNT: 1
    SQLTEMPDBFILEGROWTH: 64
    SQLTEMPDBFILESIZE: 8
    SQLTEMPDBLOGDIR: <empty>
    SQLTEMPDBLOGFILEGROWTH: 64
    SQLTEMPDBLOGFILESIZE: 8
    SQLUSERDBDIR: <empty>
    SQLUSERDBLOGDIR: <empty>
    SUPPRESSPRIVACYSTATEMENTNOTICE: false
    TCPENABLED: 0
    UIMODE: AutoAdvance
    UpdateEnabled: false
    UpdateSource: MU
    USEMICROSOFTUPDATE: false
    X86: false

Configuration file: D:\Windows\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20181116_102500\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:
    Feature: Database Engine Services
    Reason for failure: An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
    Next Step: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
    Component name: SQL Server Setup Support Files
    Component error code: 1622
    Component log file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20181116_102500\SqlSupport_Cpu64_1.log
    Error description: Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and that you can write to it.
    Error help link: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=14.0.1000.169&EvtType=SqlSupport.msi%400x162A16FE%400x1622

Feature: SQL Browser
    Reason for failure: An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
    Next Step: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
    Component log file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20181116_102500\SqlSupport_Cpu64_1.log
    Error description: Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and that you can write to it.
    Error help link: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=14.0.1000.169&EvtType=SqlSupport.msi%400x162A16FE%400x1622

Feature: SQL Writer
    Reason for failure: An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
    Component name: SQL Server Writer Component
    Component log file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20181116_102500\SqlWriter_Cpu64_1.log
    Error help link: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=14.0.1000.169&EvtType=SqlWriter.msi%400x162A16FE%400x1622

Feature: SQL Client Connectivity
    Component name: SQL Server Native Client Access Component
    Component log file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20181116_102500\sqlncli_Cpu64_1.log
    Error help link: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=14.0.1000.169&EvtType=sqlncli.msi%400x162A16FE%400x1622

Feature: SQL Client Connectivity SDK
    Component name: SQL Server Native Client Access Component
    Component log file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20181116_102500\sqlncli_Cpu64_1.log
    Error help link: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkId=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=14.0.1000.169&EvtType=sqlncli.msi%400x162A16FE%400x1622

Feature: Setup Support Files

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Scenario specific rules:

Rules report file: D:\Windows\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20181116_102500\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Exception summary:
    The following is an exception stack listing the exceptions in outermost to innermost order
    Inner exceptions are being indented

Exception type: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
    Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20181116_102500'.
    HResult : 0x80070003
    Data:
    DisableWatson = true
    Stack:
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
    at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.InternalGetFiles(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.WatsonMsiBucket.ExecutePreCabTasks()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.WatsonServiceImplementation.ReportFailures()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Setup.Setup.Start(String[] args)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Setup.Setup.Main()
    ======================================================

Thank you for your time and support!

:)

devonmadams, Nov 16, 2018
  2. lgentry Win User

Help me understand SQL Server

While trying to understand intermittent freezes in my Windows 10 that require hard reboots to recover from I was looking at my event viewer trying to find the culprit. Although I have not yet narrowed down the problem (there are several different errors) I came across several events related to SQL Server "insufficient system memory in resource pool 'internal' to run this query". I'm running a quad core i5 machine with 8 gb of ram. Looking at my list of installed programs I notice that I have the following:

SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition
    SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files
    SQL Server 2012 Native Client
    SQL Server 2014 Setup
    SQL Server 2014
    SQL Transact SQL Scriptdom
    SQL Server Browser for SQL Server 2014

I've tried to read about exactly what SQL Server is and it's as clear as mud to me. Can someone help me understand what it is? Do I need to have all those versions installed? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

lgentry, Nov 16, 2018
  3. Setup is unable to connect SQL Server

Hello

I am going to setup Microsoft SCCM Test Lab. One Single Windows server 2008 I installed SQL Server 2008 and trying to installed SCCM 2012 but facing below error.

Unable to install SQL Server (setup.exe) bac85e65-7945-422d-a4e8-eb36119b3e62?upload=true.jpg

Vikas Jagtap, Nov 16, 2018
  4. Brink Win User

Unable to install SQL Server (setup.exe)

SQL Server + Python — What’s new

Source: SQL Server + Python s new | SQL Server Blog

Brink, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

Unable to install SQL Server (setup.exe)

1. Unable to install SQL Server (setup.exe) - Similar Threads - Unable install SQL

2. Troubles with installing SQL Server 2022: Oops... Unable to install SQL Server setup.exe....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubles with installing SQL Server 2022: Oops... Unable to install SQL Server setup.exe....: I am using a virtual machine to run some programs on Windows while I have a Mac. I recently deleted a lot of useless files and I have a feeling that the problem that I faced may be connected with it... Or maybe its just something else. If you know, please help me, by the way...
  3. Troubles with installing SQL Server 2022: Oops... Unable to install SQL Server setup.exe....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Troubles with installing SQL Server 2022: Oops... Unable to install SQL Server setup.exe....: I am using a virtual machine to run some programs on Windows while I have a Mac. I recently deleted a lot of useless files and I have a feeling that the problem that I faced may be connected with it... Or maybe its just something else. If you know, please help me, by the way...
  4. Fix Unable to Install SQL Server on Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Unable to Install SQL Server on Windows 11: [IMG]Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system (RDBMS) used in many enterprise-level companies. It provides a secure and scalable environment for storing, managing, and retrieving data. However, when some users tried installing SQL Server to give their...
  5. SQL Server - unable to install on Windows Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SQL Server - unable to install on Windows Virtual Machine: I have an Apple Macbook Pro running on M1 chip. I have installed a Windows 11 virtual machine using UTM. I am trying to install SQL Server on Windows but I get an error just before installation is completed.Here is the log in the Summary.txt:Overall summary: Final result:...
  6. SQL Server - unable to install on Windows Virtual Machine

SQL Server - unable to install on Windows Virtual Machine: I have an Apple Macbook Pro running on M1 chip. I have installed a Windows 11 virtual machine using UTM. I am trying to install SQL Server on Windows but I get an error just before installation is completed.Here is the log in the Summary.txt:Overall summary: Final result:...
  7. Unable to install sql server in windwos 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install sql server in windwos 11: I have bought a new pc with windows 11 . I tried to install sql server 2017/2019 , both didn't worked . Error with Database Engine services. Database Engine services failed. And I reset my PC . After reset i got a Windows.old file Is it safe to delete this folder? This takes...
  8. Unable to install sql server in windwos 11

Unable to install sql server in windwos 11: I have bought a new pc with windows 11 . I tried to install sql server 2017/2019 , both didn't worked . Error with Database Engine services. Database Engine services failed. And I reset my PC . After reset i got a Windows.old file Is it safe to delete this folder? This takes...
  9. About SQL server 2019 setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    About SQL server 2019 setup: Hey world, i'm anil My question is i recently used microsoft sql server 2019 enterprise version, the free version. And i'm facing problem with the uninstallation part. What i did? I went to control panel and i hit unistall of the sql, there are many sql icons in it...
  10. SQL server setup failure.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SQL server setup failure.: Hello Team, I have downloaded this setup from Microsoft official site SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU and trying to install on a system using Administrator account but getting below error. Note - I am able to install this setup on another system, So it is clear that there is no issue...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. elsawin fehler 2068119551

2. docker AGTSVCSTARTUPTYPE

3. unable to install sql server setup.exe

4. sql server 2017 setup error unable to install SQL server(setup.exe). exit code (decimal):2068119551Error Description:,
  5. how to install setup.exe for sql server,
  6. unable to install sql express setup.exe,
  7. how to solve error unable to install sqlserver setup.exe,
  8. unable to get sql to install,
  9. could not find a part of the path c:\program files\microsoft sql server\140\setup bootstrap\log\20190515_200829..,
  10. sql server 2017 exit code 20680523 sqlncli.msi,
  11. unable to install sql server 2017express on windows10