Windows 10: Unable to install updates

Discus and support Unable to install updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; While I know you don't want to do a clean install your alternatives are shrinking. Wish I had something better. Going forward I would look into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by contremaitre, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Unable to install updates

While I know you don't want to do a clean install your alternatives are shrinking.

Wish I had something better.

Going forward I would look into using a tool like Macrium Reflect to systematically Image your machine. It's free, reliable and used by members. Here is the Tenforums tutorial for more information.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 20, 2017

2. Ok, I did a clean install. First I tried to install 1703 : it failed (black screen then BSOD at reboot)
    Then I installed 1511 successfully, but when I tried to upgrade it stuck at 87%. At reboot it reverted to 1511.
    I am getting tired of these updates. How can I be sure it won't try to update to 1703 in the future and fail the same way ?
    Thanks

contremaitre, Sep 21, 2017
  3. Obviously this should not be happening. When you did the clean install did you delete all the existing OS partitions? Pardon me if I already asked this question, have you run chkdsk on drive?

It is also recommended that if you have additional drives just connect the OS drive. I think you are using a laptop so this should not be issue. Please ensure data is backed up off machine.

The BIOS should be set to to disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot (under different names for different machines but names are similar.)

Did you use the clean install tutorial?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...b-july-27-2017

I would do the clean install disconnected from internet and unplug any USB devices other than mouse and keyboard. Prefer those also be disconnected.

Please also note if you are UEFI booting disk must be GPT and not MBR

If you want to stop most updates set your wifi connection on your machine to metered. Be aware that if you connect to other access points they too should be set to metered, something you will have to remember.

I'm sure if you search google you will find a hack that can be used to do a more permanent job.

We have a tutorial on Hiding an update, so you could hide 1703

Staying on 1511 will expose you as support is / has ceased.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...b-july-27-2017

I'm sure you had ISO for 1607, I would use that if all else fails.

Please excuse me but I just wanted to ensure when you say it gets stuck you are leaving it for some time. Especially on black screen, is the hard drive showing activity?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 21, 2017
  4. Unable to install updates

Hello,
    This should not be happening but the upgrade is freezing at 87, and there are hundreds of reports about that :
    windows 10 creator update stuck at 87 - Google Search

About your suggestions :
    - I formated the partition where I installed windows before installing
    - I checked the hard drive, it is good
    - I only had keyboard and mouse connected to the computer
    - When I was on black screen I let it run for a long time, there was no drive activity.
    - I don't know about gpt/mbr/uefi/secureboot

Now, should I update from 1511 to 1607 ? But how because I don't want to clean install again, I installed all the other softwares, lot of work *Sad

contremaitre, Sep 22, 2017
  5. You need to enter your BIOS and find secure boot and Fast Boot. They are both recommended to be disabled prior to inplace upgrade or clean install. That is the recommendation, you can read in tutorial.

You formatted one partition, I'm suggesting you delete all partitions knowing your data is off machine.

As to upgrading to 1607. I think you said you had 1607 ISO, you should be able to mount, navigate to setup and run. Again off the network.

Before doing so you must make an Image with Macrium Reflect so that if anything goes wrong you can restore your machine to this point, 1511.

Have you search the manufactures forum for this device. If this is hardware / driver related you can't be the only one with the issue.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to install updates

1. Unable to install updates - Similar Threads - Unable install updates

2. UNABLE TO INSTALL THE UPDATE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UNABLE TO INSTALL THE UPDATE: Hello there!I am here again with another problem that I am facingso recently I opened my laptop and an update pop up just came up it was saying to update to the new version of windows 11 22h2and I went quickly to update settings and tried to update my PC to a more recent...
  3. UNABLE TO INSTALL THE UPDATE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UNABLE TO INSTALL THE UPDATE: Hello there!I am here again with another problem that I am facingso recently I opened my laptop and an update pop up just came up it was saying to update to the new version of windows 11 22h2and I went quickly to update settings and tried to update my PC to a more recent...
  4. Unable to install update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install update: The 2022-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems KB5016616 has been failing repeatedly on my PC. It downloads and installs, but when I restart my computer, the screen "working on updates" stops at 7%. Then, while restarting, the following...
  5. Unable to install update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to install update: The 2022-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems KB5016616 has been failing repeatedly on my PC. It downloads and installs, but when I restart my computer, the screen "working on updates" stops at 7%. Then, while restarting, the following...
  6. Unable to install update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. unable to install updates

unable to install updates: hii sir I m using the window 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB4556799 Error 0x80073701 unable to install it and no other update are comming pls fix this issue and solve my problem regard anuj singh...
  8. Unable to install update

Unable to install update: Hi, I cannot install the following update:- 2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB4541335 - Error 0x800f0986. It downloads ok and installs right up to 100%, but then says unable to install some parts, will try again later. Have...
  9. UNABLE TO INSTALL AN UPDATE

UNABLE TO INSTALL AN UPDATE: I have a acer aspire 6 computer with windows 10 home installed in it. the problem is that it is unable to install one the updates in it. the update has been downloaded but it is unable to install it. it is frustrating me because every time I turn it on, it consumes nearly 10...
  10. Unable to install update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to install update: I'm unable to install the KB4103721 update on windows 10. I cant shutdown the computer normally, it keeps saying update and shutdown/restart no matter how many times I do it. Thins I've already tired: Update and shutdown Update and restart deleted the update from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 pending restart forever KB4103721