Windows 10: Unable to Install Win10 on New HDD

Discus and support Unable to Install Win10 on New HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenova laptop with a new HDD. I had hoped to install Win10Pro from a CD but it runs into a problem and shows the 3 partitions. One has 931GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by l_turn9, May 14, 2020.

1. l_turn9 Win User

Unable to Install Win10 on New HDD

I have a Lenova laptop with a new HDD. I had hoped to install Win10Pro from a CD but it runs into a problem and shows the 3 partitions. One has 931GB tot space with 931 avail and 2 other small partitions when I say Next, I get a message saying "could not create a new Part or locate one." I was tempted to do a format but there's a message that pops up, saying some files that are needed, might be files lost . I don't have any files on this computer, so that's not a problem, but I'm not so sure about the Manufacturer files. Would doing a Format even help? And why can't Win10 find the 931GB HDD with 0 file space taken?

:)

l_turn9, May 14, 2020
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, May 14, 2020
  3. Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, May 14, 2020
  4. Unable to Install Win10 on New HDD

Fresh Windows 10 install on new HDD

Hello,

Please refer this step-by-step guide to make clean install:

Clean Install Windows 10

Let me know if this helps!

Kapil Arya MVP, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Unable to Install Win10 on New HDD

1. Unable to Install Win10 on New HDD - Similar Threads - Unable Install Win10

2. Is it alright to plug old HDD with Win10 installed into a new dektop with Win11 installed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it alright to plug old HDD with Win10 installed into a new dektop with Win11 installed...: I have a new PC with Win11 installed. I want to put my old HDD which has Win10 installed from my old PC, into the new PC as an additional storage. Will there be a problem if I just plug it like that?...
  3. Is it alright to plug old HDD with Win10 installed into a new dektop with Win11 installed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it alright to plug old HDD with Win10 installed into a new dektop with Win11 installed...: I have a new PC with Win11 installed. I want to put my old HDD which has Win10 installed from my old PC, into the new PC as an additional storage. Will there be a problem if I just plug it like that?...
  4. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure: HI.My daughters Laptop is approx. 10 year old that was pre-installed with Win7, over the years the upgrade path has left the laptop with Windows 10.The HDD is now starting to fail with large numbers of bad sectors. The laptop is close to unusable, but i have managed to save...
  5. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure: HI.My daughters Laptop is approx. 10 year old that was pre-installed with Win7, over the years the upgrade path has left the laptop with Windows 10.The HDD is now starting to fail with large numbers of bad sectors. The laptop is close to unusable, but i have managed to save...
  6. install win10 iso on new SSD due to HDD failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. UNABLE TO INSTALL WIN10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UNABLE TO INSTALL WIN10: I have a Windows 10 Pro Full Version 64 Bit Disc that I cannot access for upgrading my WIN7. I have tried a boot from the DVD, a boot from the Start Menu and from the drive in My Computer and I get nothing but the disc just seems to spin, start, stop in random order as if it...
  8. Swapping HDD with Win10 to a new computer

Swapping HDD with Win10 to a new computer: My situation is this: My samsung laptop died on me before I could back much of my HDD up. I have the opportunity to buy a nearly identical Samsung from Ebay that does not have an HDD for equal or less than the cost of fixing my current laptop (Ac plug shorted) My...
  9. Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86%

Installing Win10 on new HDD: Stuck at 86%: I have made a bootable USB using Rufus as the windows media creation tool could not find my USB. I'm now trying to install Win10 onto a fresh HDD and the the installation is stuck at 86%. Any advice would be brilliant, thanks! Christy 73399
  10. hdd broke, need help on installing new win10 to the new hdd

in Windows 10 Support
    hdd broke, need help on installing new win10 to the new hdd: hi, laptop's hdd broke, i put new one in but stuck on how to install win10 i found an iso version from microsoft Access Denied i downloaded it, how to make bootable usb? 72961