Windows 10: Unable to install windows 10 - couldnt find boot disk

Discus and support Unable to install windows 10 - couldnt find boot disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys! I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I'm currently trying out Windows 10, but I'm getting an error which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ahndrewtam, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Unable to install windows 10 - couldnt find boot disk

Hey guys!

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I'm currently trying out Windows 10, but I'm getting an error which I believe is due to my previous dual-boot consisting of Windows 7 + Antergos w/ Grub. (My friend installed this for me, so I'm not very familiar with this stuff.

Before I began the install, I went to windows disk manager and deleted then extended the partition that had Linux on it. When I went to install Win10, it keeps giving me errors that it could not create a partition and upon further inspection, the specific error is that it could not find the boot drive.

I've been at this for quite a while now, and any help would be appreciated!

:)

ahndrewtam, Apr 20, 2016
  2. rcglider Win User

Win 10 repair disk unable to find Win 10 system image backup

The issue is not about installing Windows 10, I've already installed Windows 10.

My question is that after doing a system image backup, and making a Windows 10 bootable repair disk (DVD), after booting with the Windows 10 repair disk, it is unable to find the Windows 10 system image backup I just made. It only shows the Windows 7 image
    backups I had made previously.

rcglider, Apr 20, 2016
  3. paul10776 Win User
    MSI laptop will not start after putting it to hibernate - resolved

Ive again had same situation but couldnt replicate the machine state when i hibernated. So this time i changed the boot bios to legacy and put a windows 10 install disk in. It booted to the disk and i then just restarted and everything was fine again.
    Use delete key to get to bios set up... i've now reverted backto uefi boot and removed both the hibernate and sleep options from the power off options.

paul10776, Apr 20, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

Unable to install windows 10 - couldnt find boot disk

If you deleted the Linux partition w/ Grub, then you can't boot. May have to clean install, or maybe if in Windows, EasyBCD can re-create the boot for you.

Superfly, Apr 20, 2016
  5. I've been trying a clean install, but it keeps giving me the boot error. I looked at EasyBCD, but it requires me to have windows on the computer. I've formatted/cleaned it several times, so that does not seem to be possible.

ahndrewtam, Apr 20, 2016
  6. Superfly Win User
    Oh,sorry - was under the impression it was an upgrade - did you delete all the partitions shown in the setup dialog then try to install to the unallocated space ? or are you keeping the existing Windows 7?

BTW: Best to delete Linux partitions with GParted or similar.

Superfly, Apr 20, 2016
  7. Yup! I deleted all partitions and then formatted, deleted but nothing seemed to work.

ahndrewtam, Apr 20, 2016
  8. Superfly Win User

It's best to delete the partitions and not format - let Windows setup do all that stuff...

Superfly, Apr 20, 2016
  9. I've tried going with just deleting and formatting but neither seem to work.

ahndrewtam, Apr 20, 2016
  10. Superfly Win User
    What is the exact error? The only time I got that was when I had multiple drives (incl. SD card etc) - removing those solved it.

Superfly, Apr 20, 2016
  11. The exact error from the logs is: "GetMachineInfo: Couldn't find boot disk on this BIOS-based computer"

ahndrewtam, Apr 20, 2016
  12. Superfly Win User
    Superfly, Apr 20, 2016
  13. Unable to install windows 10 - couldnt find boot disk

have you tryied to do a diskpart command

gijoetech1, Apr 20, 2016
  14. Yep! Doesn't seem to work though :/

ahndrewtam, Apr 20, 2016
  15. have you tried disk part

gijoetech1, Apr 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Unable to install windows 10 - couldnt find boot disk - Similar Threads - Unable install couldnt

2. Unable to Find Mounted Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Find Mounted Disk: I recently started learning about Hyper-V and decided to give it a try! But unfortunately when experimenting with file transfer from host to virtual machine. While trying to find a solution for sharing files over the main disk into a virtual one. It just gives me the same...
  3. Unable to Find Mounted Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Find Mounted Disk: I recently started learning about Hyper-V and decided to give it a try! But unfortunately when experimenting with file transfer from host to virtual machine. While trying to find a solution for sharing files over the main disk into a virtual one. It just gives me the same...
  4. Unable to find the UEFI Boot option in BIOS to install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to find the UEFI Boot option in BIOS to install Windows 10: Dear Dave I received your reply for the post I submitted on Dec 5, 2021 for the Subject Mentioned The USB Stick of newly purchased Windows 10 Pro not getting detected or bootedThe concern I found while install is The following is the System Configuration of my own Laptop...
  5. Unable to find the UEFI Boot option in BIOS to install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to find the UEFI Boot option in BIOS to install Windows 10: Dear Dave I received your reply for the post I submitted on Dec 5, 2021 for the Subject Mentioned The USB Stick of newly purchased Windows 10 Pro not getting detected or bootedThe concern I found while install is The following is the System Configuration of my own Laptop...
  6. Unable to find the UEFI Boot option in BIOS to install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Installing Windows 10 but unable to find SSD

Installing Windows 10 but unable to find SSD: Hello. Im trying to reinstall windows 10 but when Im told to choose disk in the installing wizard theres no SSD. Only my hard drive and a couple of partitions. I can see my SSD in BIOS. Forgive my ignorance while this is not my excellence. Will provide with photos....
  8. We couldnt find any drives, windows 10 installation

We couldnt find any drives, windows 10 installation: I just wanted to install windows 10 from dvd and when i want to install it says i dont have any hard drive you can see in images. In boot menu i can see my HDD but in windows installtion can not find it. Imgur: The magic of the Internet Imgur: The magic of the Internet 122528
  9. Unable to boot into Windows - Disk Corrupted

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot into Windows - Disk Corrupted: I have a DELL Inspiron 17R SE 7720. I was running Windows 10. A couple of weeks ago or so, I installed some Windows updates. Immediately after the update and subsequent restart, I noticed that my Disk usage started to fluctuate wildly, spiking with considerable frequency to...
  10. Windows 10 Installation - We couldnt find any drivers

Windows 10 Installation - We couldnt find any drivers: this is quite a long backstory so bear with me so my windows was running smoothly for the past year or so,until like in august,when i started doing reinstalls every month. i did my first reinstall for this month on december first. it started lagging on christmas,abd i...