Windows 10: Unable to install windows 10 (dual boot) in win 7 laptop.

Discus and support Unable to install windows 10 (dual boot) in win 7 laptop. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have installed windows 7 64 bit now i want to install windows 10 in another hard disk partition because i want dual boot so i can use both win7 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lewisparkesmt, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Unable to install windows 10 (dual boot) in win 7 laptop.

I have installed windows 7 64 bit now i want to install windows 10 in another hard disk partition because i want dual boot so i can use both win7 and win10. The problem is, when i try to install win 10 i cant select any drive to install and the error is like "The selected disk has MBR partition table, windows can install only in GPT disk".
    So what is the solution to use both win 7 and win 10 ?

:)

lewisparkesmt, Feb 12, 2017

2. Dual Boot Win 10 Home 64bit and Win 7 Professional 64bit

I updated my laptop to Win 10 64bit Home from Win 8.1 last year.

My old desk top currently runs Win 7 Professional 64bit dual booted with XP and will not update to Win 10 due to none compliant CPU.

I am now considering scrapping the desk top which will leave my current copy of Win 7 Professional redundant.

Can I install Win 7 Professional on my laptop as a dual boot arrangement with the existing copy of Win 10 Home without having to re-install Win 10 or will it have to be removed and Win 7 installed first?

BrianD_D100, Feb 12, 2017
  3. 911boss Win User
    Can we try out Windows 10 WITHOUT OBLIGATION?

1. How do you set up a dual boot to keep Windows 7 and install Windows 10? Will all my installed programs, games, saved documents, & etc. be saved in both operating systems without affecting them?

2. If I do set up a dual boot to have both Windows 7 and Windows 10 installed to see if I like Windows 10 or not, how do I uninstall Win 10 without affecting Win 7 and everything there (programs, documents, & etc.)?

3. What is the minimum requirements to have both Win 7 and Win 10 installed on one PC and/0r laptop?

911boss, Feb 12, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Unable to install windows 10 (dual boot) in win 7 laptop.

Boot the Windows 10 USB flash drive in legacy BIOS or CSM mode. You are booting it in UEFI mode. Apparently your hard drive is partitioned as MBR which means the computer is booting it in legacy BIOS or CSM mode (CSM is just UEFI emulation of legacy BIOS). When you have the list of boot options up where you select the USB flash drive as the boot source, it should be listed twice. One will say UEFI, and the other will just say USB or something like that. You want to pick the option that does not have UEFI in it.

If that doesn't work, there are ways to convert the hard drive to GPT and enable it to be booted in UEFI mode.

NavyLCDR, Feb 12, 2017
Thema:

Unable to install windows 10 (dual boot) in win 7 laptop.

1. Unable to install windows 10 (dual boot) in win 7 laptop. - Similar Threads - Unable install dual

2. Dual Boot Win 10 & 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Win 10 & 7: I run Win 10 (1803) on my main PC I was also running Win 10 (1803) on a secondary PC. I had a 3rd PC running Win 7 (for certain older apps I need) The PC running 7 started to have major hardware problems, so I had to junk it, but kept the HDD with 7 and my programs. I...
  3. Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.

Dual boot for Win 10, Win 7 and Centos.: I would like to install 3 operative system (win 10 - win 7 and centos ) on the same HD in dual boot system. I would like to keep as much as possible the OS separate (no interference) each other and more stable possible. What will be the best way to do it? I should use an...
  4. dual boot win 10/ win 7

dual boot win 10/ win 7: Hi, I have been tried to install win 7 64 bits on dual boot with win 10 64 bits already installed on my laptop but always failed. I've searched tutorials but didn't find complete ones .Most of the tutos are about installing win 10 over wind 7 on dual boot but not the...
  5. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot: After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7. 1st I must update my win 7 with win 10...
  6. Dual boot installation with Win 7 + 10 -- multiple issues

Dual boot installation with Win 7 + 10 -- multiple issues: I wanted to experiment with Win 10 while preserving my Win 7 x64 installation. I imaged my Win 7 to a new hdd which is formatted as GPT. I repaired the Win 7 copy using a Win 7 SP1 installation dvd and got it to boot in UEFI mode using the "Windows Boot Mgr" option in the...
  7. Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10

Dual Boot Win 7 pro and Win 10: I have new computer win 7 pro with all SSD. I plan to Install Win 10 onto a separate SSD (Samsung 500gb) and will just unplug my C Drive SSD with Win 7. The C drive SSD is also 500gb Samsung but only 152gb left on that drive. Any Comments / potential problems I may have. I...
  8. dual boot win 7 and win 10?

dual boot win 7 and win 10?: I currently have win10 on a partition. I have a second partition big enough for win7. Can I install win 7 on that partition. Will installing win7 result in a win7 style boot manager? If so, how to get the win 10 boot manager? One reason I want to do this, win7 has WMC...
  9. how to dual boot win 7 or 10

how to dual boot win 7 or 10: i was using easybcd setup in 7 but it has failed. select win10 leaves me with grub > prompt.*Sick so i selected win10 by using pc bios. am in 10 now. what can i use with win 10? stuff like this is worthless as it assumes both os are on same drive. mine are on seperate...
  10. how to install Win 7 on a laptop running Win 10 Home (dual boot)

how to install Win 7 on a laptop running Win 10 Home (dual boot): 189 Dear All, I have a i5 laptop running on Win 10 Home where, for work reasons, Windows 7 Ultimate has to be installed (preferably on a vhd). Win 7 Ultimate will be the main OS, while Win 10 will remain in case the laptop needs to be sent back to the factory for repair....