Windows 10: Unable to install Windows 10 on HP Compaq Pentium 4 - it just reboots

Discus and support Unable to install Windows 10 on HP Compaq Pentium 4 - it just reboots in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have this old HP Compaq Pentium 4 whose Windows XP installation recently got hit by malware, so I'm trying to install Windows 10 on it: HP Support... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bulldows95, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Unable to install Windows 10 on HP Compaq Pentium 4 - it just reboots

I have this old HP Compaq Pentium 4 whose Windows XP installation recently got hit by malware, so I'm trying to install Windows 10 on it:

HP Support document - HP Support Center (BIOS: 786C1 v01.05)

However, nothing happens when I try to boot the installation USB. The USB, made with Rufus, works perfectly on other computers. Instead, all I see is the Microsoft logo for about 10 minutes until the computer reboots without saying a word.

Anybody know what to do?

Thanks!

:)

bulldows95, Aug 25, 2016
  2. Taffy087 Win User

Please help the experts here in their quest to resolve the Failed/Missing Icons problem - Win10

SomeHope_1 - here are details of my old (2009) PC.

Compaq (HP) OEM laptop HDD/ Processor: 2.10 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core / 4gb RAM

IE11 / Norton IS / Display Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Was Win7 Home Premium but free upgrade to Windows 10 Home (I've only just noticed that 'Premium' has disappeared so will check that out.) The upgrade smashed my main UA which is now "Critical Error - start icon etc".

Haven't yet been tempted to install my Office365 Home Premium

Taffy087, Aug 25, 2016
  3. New install of Windows 10 Pro

1 HP Compaq Desktop Intel Core 2 Vpro 3.00GHZ 8GB RAM 80GB HDD

2 HP Compaq Desktop SFF dc7900

3 Windows 10 pro

4 Microsoft Windows {Version 10. 0. 10240}

5 Not sure about this

6 This happens from the normal desktop screen.

7 Have not seen any error codes.

PeterBarnesWW, Aug 25, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Unable to install Windows 10 on HP Compaq Pentium 4 - it just reboots

Does your cpu have NX capabililty?

Not all pentium 4s are capable of running windows 10.

cereberus, Aug 25, 2016
  5. I'm not sure. Can't find anything about it in the URL above or in the BIOS. All I know is that it's a Pentium 4 3,2GHz with Hyper Threading technology.

bulldows95, Aug 25, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    download and run coreinfo

cereberus, Aug 26, 2016
  7. Unfortunately seeing as how my current Windows installation is messed up there's no way for me to actually run that tool.

bulldows95, Aug 26, 2016
  8. Unable to install Windows 10 on HP Compaq Pentium 4 - it just reboots

I've tried a few different Windows XP ISOs now and they all won't boot, unlike the Windows 10 ISO which did boot but unfortunately crashed along the way. Very odd.

bulldows95, Aug 26, 2016
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    It's probably not the processor that is causing the difficulty - if it's a Pentium 4, 3.20 GHz with hyperthreading on a 755 socket, it can only be a 540, 540j or a 541 Prescott ( 2,3 and 4 on the list here: Products (Formerly Prescott) ) Only the oldest processor, the 540, did not support NX - the motherboard supports more recent processors, so it's unlikely that HP Compaq would have chosen the oldest, deprecated, least well specified processor in the family. 540j is 32-bit, 541 is 64-bit.

Also, Windows Setup would have checked for NX at the beginning of setup and would not proceed if there was processor incompatibility. That said, HP Compaq, like other manufacturing giants, sometimes make machines which are difficult to upgrade to Windows 10 due to some OEM modification of BIOS, lack of updated drivers etc.

These Pentium 4 chips also run notoriously hot (~84 Watts power dissipation) during normal service, and Windows 10 setup exercises the CPU to the limit. That's just short of having a 100W lightbulb in the case!

The first thing I would do (having successfully run Windows 10 well on a Pentium 4 - see my specs), if I were you, is to remove the cooling fan and heat exchange block from the processor, clean everything thoroughly with a bristle paintbrush, and on reinstallation, replace the thermal paste, and make sure that the fan bearings are lubricated, and that you use extra cooling like a external fan. You will be able to note any identification information on the chip as you carefully clean off the old thermal paste.

There are several other problems here, one of which is there is no upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10 - really you need to be running Windows 7 at least in order to activate 10.

It seems that you are running OpenBSD - is this on the HP Compaq now? Can you copy the XP ISO contents to a NTFS partition on the HD using BSD?

Can you download this?: Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums
    Will it boot from DVD in the optical drive or from USB?

There is a way to avoid setup, and that is to apply the Windows 10 Image from the ISO\sources\Install.WIM directly to the disk partition or to a VHD, or try this: Windows 10 virtual machines now available on Microsoft Edge Dev - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums - see the link to Kari's Eightforums tutorial.

Fafhrd, Aug 27, 2016
  10. Thanks for all your insight and advice. Unfortunately going balls deep into the internals of the PC is too much for me to handle right now, so I'm either going to have to install Ubuntu or simply just buy a new PC.

> These Pentium 4 chips also run notoriously hot (~84 Watts power dissipation) during normal service, and Windows 10 setup exercises the CPU to the limit. That's just short of having a 100W lightbulb in the case!

True indeed, sometimes the fan runs so fast it feels like everything is about to blow up!

> It seems that you are running OpenBSD - is this on the HP Compaq now? Can you copy the XP ISO contents to a NTFS partition on the HD using BSD?

Unfortunately no, that's on another machine.

I could probably install Ubuntu and then burn the Windows XP Pro ISO with my HP Compaq's DVD drive though.

Anyway thanks again!

bulldows95, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Unable to install Windows 10 on HP Compaq Pentium 4 - it just reboots

1. Unable to install Windows 10 on HP Compaq Pentium 4 - it just reboots - Similar Threads - Unable install Compaq

2. HP/Compaq 6730b running Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP/Compaq 6730b running Windows 10: I have an HP/Compaq 6730b laptop. It has a built-in fingerprint reader. I installed HP SimplePass. In the device manager the fingerprint reader is showing and it says it is working properly but in HP SimplePass it says I need to connect the reader. I have reinstalled the...
  3. HP/Compaq 6730b running Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP/Compaq 6730b running Windows 10: I have an HP/Compaq 6730b laptop. It has a built-in fingerprint reader. I installed HP SimplePass. In the device manager the fingerprint reader is showing and it says it is working properly but in HP SimplePass it says I need to connect the reader. I have reinstalled the...
  4. HP/Compaq 6730b running Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. HP Compaq La2205wg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP Compaq La2205wg: This is most likely to be an unfix able error, but I just wanted to make sure that my monitor is causing the problem and if I can fix it before I can replace it. I also wanna know what’s it’s called...
  6. HP Compaq La2205wg

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP Compaq La2205wg: This is most likely to be an unfix able error, but I just wanted to make sure that my monitor is causing the problem and if I can fix it before I can replace it. I also wanna know what’s it’s called...
  7. HP Compaq La2205wg

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Trying to install win10 32bit on pentium 4, blinking dash and the reboot without install boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to install win10 32bit on pentium 4, blinking dash and the reboot without install boot: Hi to all guys. my problem is as the title says, when i try to install windows 10 on a pentium pc 519k SL8JA the USB boot start good, than blinking dash and then pc reboot... I don't know I to solve....
  9. HP Compaq NC6220 Reassembly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HP Compaq NC6220 Reassembly: While reassembling this laptop, I can't find out where to connect one last wire! It is a single wire, located under the right side of the touch pad!! It has two ends to it and one end is connected to the board, On the left side of the harddrive!!! If anyone knows what wire I...
  10. Can a pentium 4 run Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can a pentium 4 run Windows 10: I am trying to get this old junk pc on windows 10. I just want to know if this cpu can run it. It also has 2gb of ram. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-a-pentium-4-run-windows-10/6cc13dfc-eddf-4ed9-bad9-32da5db44ac2