Windows 10: Unable to install Windows, SSD not detecting in BIOS

Discus and support Unable to install Windows, SSD not detecting in BIOS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Right off the bat, I'm on Linux Mint, trying to install windows again for a dual boot. I've already made sure the ISO is no corrupted, (downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by indevbrian, May 11, 2019.

1. Unable to install Windows, SSD not detecting in BIOS

Right off the bat, I'm on Linux Mint, trying to install windows again for a dual boot. I've already made sure the ISO is no corrupted, (downloaded twice, built a VM with both, even tried windows 8, all have the same problem) I've tried the unplug half way through method, doesn't work. In my UEFI my SATA uptions are AHCI or RAID, I keep it as AHCI but I'm not installing to a SATA drive anyways (NVMe) If there is a legacy USB thing, I can't find it. Tried with a USB 3 drive in a USB 3 port, a USB 2 port, and a USB 2 drive in a USB 2 port, USB 3 port.

Ok so how I got to this position: I built a new computer a few weeks ago, spec list at bottom, put in an NVidia GPU and installed drivers, long story short it didn't work as expected so I switched back to my AMD GPU. Tried uninstalling NVidia drivers but something got left behind and was significantly reducing my GPU performance. I took ownership of my system32 file, and deleted all NVidia folders and files. That fixed all performance issues, next day partway a warning saying I needed to activate windows popped up in the bottom right. I spent quite some time trying to fix it, couldn't run the troubleshooter, got this error 0xC0000022, from what I could find, it was because a software security service or something couldn't run without the right permissions, tried everything to get it to run, giving ownership of system32 back to TrustedInstaller, system, myself. Couldn't get it to run. Reset windows but kept my files. Didn't work. Hard reset windows, didn't work. Downloaded linux mint to try and fully remove windows before reinstalling, then dualbooting keeping mint as a sort of backup, something that should always work. Downloaded the ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO right clicked on the ISO and clicked make bootable USB stick, setup a 120GB ntfs partition on my drive. Doesn't work. For confirmation that the USB's work, A) When I first built my PC I installed windows 10 with my usb 3 stick. B) I've run gparted and ubuntu live off both sticks. I've reinstalled my UEFI version 2 incase that matters, didn't do anything.

Maybe Important Edit: I hadn't actually tested my SATA HDD because it had all my backed up data, I unplugged it for a bit to focus on my NVMe drive, but I realized that it isn't showing up anywhere now. not even the UEFI

Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

GPU: Gigabyte RX570 4GB

GPU I tested: A gts450 disguised as a 1050Ti with a 1050Ti VGA BIOS

Drivers link for that GPU: https://www.nvidia.cn/download/driverResults.aspx/114481/cn

NVMe Drive: WD Black 250gb

HDD: st1000lm035 (from laptop)

Memory: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX (CMK16G4M2B3200C16W).

***Original title: Media Driver Missing***

:)

indevbrian, May 11, 2019
  2. scopio Win User

Installing SSD not detected by BIOS

Sequence of installing new SSD.
    1. Disconnected the HDD with Windows.
    2. Fitted Syba 4 Sata PCI-E card
    3. Fitted Samsung 500GB 860 SSD connected to Syba 4 Sata PCI-E card
    4. Installed Windows 10 Home in Samsung 500GB 860 SSD
    ​Windows installed fine in the SSD. Entered the BIOS to set the SSD as 1st Boot priority but the BIOS has not detected it. The only boot devices shown in the BIOS are the CD/DVD Rom and the Replaceable Device. *Mad
    Device Manager shows the SSD connected.
    I connected the the HDD which still has Windows installed but I get the message to "Reboot and Select Boot Media" even though the SSD is still connected. *Eek
    Any help would be most appreciated.

Just noticed while safe removing USB memory stick that the SSD shows as a removable drive C\:!!!! *Eek

scopio, May 11, 2019
  3. SSD is not detected in BIOS

Hi,

My desktop computer was running perfectly fine when suddenly the SSD (boot OS) is not detected when booting up. I tried using the SSD with other computers, it's not being detected. Removed other sata cables and just used this one and still not working.

However, when I tried using an enclosure, the files are being detected. Tried to boot it using the enclosure, I'm getting an error message (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE). It does go to login screen when I do safe mode but Im unable to login because I was using
    a PIN to get access. Unable to reset pw as well because it's only working on safe mode.

Any help?

Asus h97m-e motherboard

Msi gtx 950

Intel i5 3.20GHz

2x kingston 8gb ram

Kingston 120gb SSD (win10 OS)

WD HDD 1TB (other hdd for files)

***Modified Title from: SSD not being detected in BIOS but detected using enclosure?***

JoeyPascual, May 11, 2019
  4. A. User Win User

Unable to install Windows, SSD not detecting in BIOS

SSD is not detected in BIOS

Hi Joey,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it could be. However, could you please let us know was there any major change on your system prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below and check if it resolves the issue.

Method 1: Change BIOS settings.

1. As you have mentioned, you are able to boot the system in safe boot, restart the system and enter
      BIOS setup.
    2. Expand System Configuration and click on
      SATA Operation.
    3. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID.
    4. Save changes or Apply
      and ExitSetup.
    5. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start the AHCI drivers.

BIOS Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer
      from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

After following the steps above, if the SSD is being detected. Please follow
    Method 2.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD from command prompt (This method needs bootable media).

If the bootable media is not created, you can refer this link to

Create Windows 10 installation media
    , please refer this section on 'Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC' for the steps to create installation
    media.

1. Insert the bootable media for Windows 10, and restart your PC.
    2. Press on any key to proceed.
    3. Select a language and click on
      Next.
    4. Click on Repair your computer option.
    5. Click the operating system that you want to repair and then click
      Next.
    6. On the Choose an option screen, select
      Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    7. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press
      ENTER.
    8. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press
      ENTER.
    9. Type BOOTREC /SCANOS, and then press
      ENTER.
    10. Type BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD, and then press
      ENTER.
    11. Restart your PC.

Regards.

A. User, May 11, 2019
Thema:

Unable to install Windows, SSD not detecting in BIOS

1. Unable to install Windows, SSD not detecting in BIOS - Similar Threads - Unable install SSD

2. SSD detected by BIOS but not by Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD detected by BIOS but not by Windows 10 installation: Hi! I am building a new pc and ran into an issue with the SSD. I put in a Crucial p5 plus 1TB M.2.SSD, a Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite AX and a AMD ryzen 5 7600x. When I go into the BIOS it detects the SSD and it also passes all the self tests. However when I try to install...
  3. SSD detected by BIOS but not by Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD detected by BIOS but not by Windows 10 installation: Hi! I am building a new pc and ran into an issue with the SSD. I put in a Crucial p5 plus 1TB M.2.SSD, a Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite AX and a AMD ryzen 5 7600x. When I go into the BIOS it detects the SSD and it also passes all the self tests. However when I try to install...
  4. SSD detected by BIOS but not by Windows 10 installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. SSD is not detected in BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD is not detected in BIOS: Hi!I have an Acer Desktop PC with the following details: Model: TC-705 Brand: Acer AspireSSD: Kingston SSD, 240 GBRecently it broke down and when I restarted the PC It keeps showing the following message on a black screen:"Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot...
  6. Ssd not detected by bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ssd not detected by bios: I have hp notebook 15ay-006tx with 1tb hdd and 8gb ram with windows 10 os, so i intsall 240gb crucial ssd on the place of hdd and put hdd in caddy it is working properly when i select it pressing f9 boot menu and select ssd as boot device but when it start normally it start...
  7. Ssd not detected by bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd not detected by bios: I have hp notebook 15ay-006tx with 1tb hdd and 8gb ram with windows 10 os, so i intsall 240gb crucial ssd on the place of hdd and put hdd in caddy it is working properly when i select it pressing f9 boot menu and select ssd as boot device but when it start normally it start...
  8. BIOS Not Detecting SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BIOS Not Detecting SSD: I bought a crucial mx500 1tb ssd in July. A month ago, my whole computer just froze and couldn't boot up so I reinstalled widows 10. Today, whenever I turn on my pc, it takes to directly to bios and doesn't show my ssd as a boot option. I'm positive that it isn't a cable...
  9. Installing SSD not detected by BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing SSD not detected by BIOS: Sequence of installing new SSD. Disconnected the HDD with Windows. Fitted Syba 4 Sata PCI-E card Fitted Samsung 500GB 860 SSD connected to Syba 4 Sata PCI-E card Installed Windows 10 Home in Samsung 500GB 860 SSD Windows installed fine in the SSD. Entered the BIOS to set the...
  10. SSD not detected in Win10 install but is detected in bios

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not detected in Win10 install but is detected in bios: Hi all, This is my first build and I am so close yet it feels so far away. I'm at the final step of installing Windows 10 onto my PC I have a bootable USB drive connected and everything goes smoothly until I have to select a hard drive! I have a Mushkin Enhanced Reactor...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bios detecting ssd but windows unable to