Windows 10: Unable to install WSL

Discus and support Unable to install WSL in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I keep getting this error - "Failed to translate D: ...." Although I do not have any D Drive in my pc.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mohamed Faridudeen, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Unable to install WSL

I keep getting this error - "Failed to translate D: ...." Although I do not have any D Drive in my pc.

:)

Mohamed Faridudeen, Jun 9, 2023
  2. zebal Win User

Install WSL issue

thanks, I've tried all of it including troubleshooting section.

The only step I didn't try is installing kernel update package which fails because subsystem is up to date.

Anyway I've given up from WSL and using Hyper-V, I don't need linux often maybe once in a month just to test some stuff so it's not a big issue.

zebal, Jun 9, 2023
  3. tomdsr Win User
    Install WSL issue

have you tried any of this?

tomdsr, Jun 9, 2023
  4. Unable to install WSL

WSL

Version 2 of WSL uses a new lightweight utility virtual machine capability. To enable the lightweight virtual machine and WSL, you need to enable two Windows features: Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Subsystem for Linux.

To enable these features via the user interface (UI), press the Windows key and enter Windows Features, then click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    When the Windows Features dialog appears, check the boxes for Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Subsystem for Linux.

If you want to make version 2 the default for any Linux distros you install then run the following command:

Code:
    Now you can install Linux distro from Microsoft Store it will be running version 2 of WSL.

A distro can be converted between versions of WSL after installation. To achieve this, you use the wsl --set-version command.

This command takes two arguments:

• The name of the distro to update
    • The version to convert it to

An example of converting the Ubuntu distro to version 2 is shown here:

Code:
    Execute wsl --list --verbose versions of WSL installed distro.

FreeBooter, Jun 9, 2023
Thema:

Unable to install WSL

1. Unable to install WSL - Similar Threads - Unable install WSL

2. Wsl Not installing ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wsl Not installing ubuntu: one year ago i installed ubuntu and deleted is now i needed to install ubuntu wsl is not installing I have tried all the methods and deleted and reinstalled it many time but nothing happen I have reinstalled windows in new partition and tried to get wsl files and ext4.vdhx...
  3. wsl installation nightmare

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wsl installation nightmare: Hey guys,Haven't been able to install wsl on windows. Here's a summary of my pain:PS C:\Users\[me]> wsl -d Ubuntu-22.04 There is no distribution with the supplied name. Error code: Wsl/Service/WSL_E_DISTRO_NOT_FOUND PS C:\Users\[me]> wsl --install -d Ubuntu-22.04 Ubuntu 22.04...
  4. wsl installation nightmare

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wsl installation nightmare: Hey guys,Haven't been able to install wsl on windows. Here's a summary of my pain:PS C:\Users\[me]> wsl -d Ubuntu-22.04 There is no distribution with the supplied name. Error code: Wsl/Service/WSL_E_DISTRO_NOT_FOUND PS C:\Users\[me]> wsl --install -d Ubuntu-22.04 Ubuntu 22.04...
  5. Trouble Installing WSL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trouble Installing WSL: I'm trying to install WSL on Windows 10 via command line. This is the error I get:C:\Windows\system32>wsl --installInstalling: Windows Subsystem for LinuxCannot create a file when that file already exists.== ]I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I recently...
  6. Unable to install WSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install WSL: I keep getting this error - "Failed to translate D: ...." Although I do not have any D Drive in my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-install-wsl/c60525ca-ec33-4f73-acb9-37a6d5112df3
  7. Unable to Uninstall WSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Uninstall WSL: Hey,I decided that its was time to uninstall WSL due to it causing issues with another Application, so I uninstalled Ubuntu, uninstalled a WSL Update and WSLg Preview, but when I tried to uninstall WSL from Programs and Features, it rebooted, and then Windows 11 did not start...
  8. Unable to Uninstall WSL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Uninstall WSL: Hey,I decided that its was time to uninstall WSL due to it causing issues with another Application, so I uninstalled Ubuntu, uninstalled a WSL Update and WSLg Preview, but when I tried to uninstall WSL from Programs and Features, it rebooted, and then Windows 11 did not start...
  9. GPU Compute, WSL Install and WSL Update arrive in WSL

in Windows 10 News
    GPU Compute, WSL Install and WSL Update arrive in WSL: There are three thrilling new updates for the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in the new Windows Insider Preview Build 20150. The first is GPU compute: a feature that allows your Linux binaries to leverage your GPU, which makes it possible to do more machine learning/AI...
  10. Unable to enable WSL

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to enable WSL: Hi, I'm trying to enable WSL on my Laptop using following documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10 when I enter the command cmd admin mode: dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart...