Windows 10: Unable to join workgroup no matter what name I use: a duplicate name exists on the network

Discus and support Unable to join workgroup no matter what name I use: a duplicate name exists on the network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have purchased a Windows 7 machine and upgraded it right away to Windows 10 Pro without ever connecting to it internet. This is at home. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by redhonker, Nov 10, 2018.

1. redhonker Win User

Unable to join workgroup no matter what name I use: a duplicate name exists on the network

Hi,

I have purchased a Windows 7 machine and upgraded it right away to Windows 10 Pro without ever connecting to it internet.

This is at home. I have 2 existing PC in a workgroup. So I try to join this one to the same workgroup.

However, no matter what name I give to the PC, it always return with the error "a duplicate name exists on the network". It's definitely not the name as I really tried completely random name.

In the meantime, I can give it another workgroup and it will join just fine.

How could I fix this?

Thanks

:)

redhonker, Nov 10, 2018

2. In Windows 10 Home - why would you disable the ability to change the default workgroup name from "workgroup" to something else?

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

• How are you trying to change the work group name?
    Have you tried as below steps if not I suggest you to follow as below and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+X”.
    • Click on “system”.
    • Then under “computer name, domain and workgroup settings” option.
    • Click on change “settings” on the right hand side.
    • Click on “computer name” tab.
    • Under the option “to rename this computer and change its domain or workgroup, click change”
      click on “change option”.
    • Under “computer name tab” enter the computer name accordingly and click on
      “ok”.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 10, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Switch from Homegroup to Workgroup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows+ X, select
      System.

• Click on Advanced System settings.

• Under Computer Name tab click on
      change.

• Under “Member Of” change the Workgroup name

• Then click on OK, then when prompted
      reboot your device.

And also refer the article given below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/join-or-create-a-workgroup

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Nov 10, 2018
  4. EncinoMan Win User

Unable to join workgroup no matter what name I use: a duplicate name exists on the network

Duplicate user name at login

Hi,

I am having the exact same problems as Ray60. I have tried the netplwiz 'solution' several times but that has not altered a thing.

When Windows first boots it tells me that my password is incorrect. I then select a duplicate account name that is displayed and enter my pin and I am let in. But when I search for a duplicate account within the Control Panel it does not exist. I have the only account and it is, of course, with administrator's access. What gives?

EncinoMan, Nov 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to join workgroup no matter what name I use: a duplicate name exists on the network - Similar Threads - Unable join workgroup

2. Network tab in Explorer shows my domain's name as a Workgroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network tab in Explorer shows my domain's name as a Workgroup: I'm on a domain, but Network tab shows my domain's name under Workgroup category. 172661
  3. Network Names

Network Names: Hallo folks! I have four internet channels.. 2 wifi, and 2 ethernet. Now, when I install the two wifi channels I have sometimes back a wifi24000 and another wifi5000. These names works perfect, but regarding the Ethernet connections, my computer is connecting to the...
  4. Duplicate folder names

Duplicate folder names: I have a Windows 10 partition that contains several folders. Two of the other folders have the exact same name. How is that even possible? I did a chkdsk and it finds no errors. The partition also contains a found.000 folder that contains what may be parts of one of the...
  5. Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names

Home wired ethernet network, duplicate Network Names, Usefulness of Network Names: Two of the three desktop PCs on my wired network are named Network 2, with the third PC named Network 4. I have researched and found ways to rename them, but before I do, two questions: Is there a performance or operational risk related to the duplicate Network 2's, and is...
  6. Printer Connectivity and Workgroup name change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer Connectivity and Workgroup name change.: I want to change the workgroup name of my laptop by the tab for changing network if appears grey. I tried doing certain things changing driver settings and all but to no avail. Also I installed a new printer driver through DVD and it's only running when connected through wire...
  7. Join a machine to domain with an existing computer name without notification?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Join a machine to domain with an existing computer name without notification?: As far as i remember from my last job, when you are trying to join a machine to a domain with an existing computer name, you should receive a notification and are not allowed to do that. In this new company, it seems, when you join a machine to a domain with an existing...
  8. Duplicating 'Name group'

in Windows 10 Customization
    Duplicating 'Name group': Hello, In Windows 10, when I click on the window logo (bottom left of the screen), there are a bunch of icons on the right side. They are divided in 4 categories (create, play, explore and name group). How could I duplicate or triplicate the <name group category? Thank you...
  9. "Duplicate" user name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Duplicate" user name: I have two user profiles with similar names, one was created when I upgraded from win 7 to Win 10. The two user names are MAGS and MAGS.000. If I look at the registry, they have identical SID's, except for the rightmost (last) number - MAGS has -500, MAGS.000 has -1000. If...
  10. What is 'Network Name' shown as 'Hidden Network' for?

What is 'Network Name' shown as 'Hidden Network' for?: Hi, I sometimes see Network Name is shown as 'Hidden Network' in the Network _Settings taskbar. I have remember that I only saw such a hidden network name' one time when I rested my router to default configuration. I didn't take a screen shot when I saw that hidden...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot join workgroup duplicate name exist

2. join existing workgroup win 10 duplicate name error

3. win10 workgroup is not duplicate