Windows 10: Unable to keep files, apps, and settings during Windows 11 Upgrade

Discus and support Unable to keep files, apps, and settings during Windows 11 Upgrade in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm trying to upgrade my computer to Windows 11. Health Check says that I'm all good to go. However when I get to nearly the final step of installation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nate, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Nate Win User

Unable to keep files, apps, and settings during Windows 11 Upgrade

I'm trying to upgrade my computer to Windows 11. Health Check says that I'm all good to go. However when I get to nearly the final step of installation and it asks me what to keep, it only allows me to select Nothing. It says "Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because you're installing an edition of Windows that's different than the one you're currently using" I've done sfc scans and DISM clean up. Ensured I'm fully up to date and have no idea what's going on.I've even removed my computer from using WSUS so that I can update straight from Microsoft.I've tried using the installation

:)

2. Geethu B Win User

unable to drag and drop files into website on Internet Explorer 11

Hi Cristy,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you are unable to drag and drop files into website on Internet Explorer 11.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Incorrect Internet Explorer settings.

• Some browser add-ons.
    Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to disable add-ons and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons#ie=ie-11

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to reset Internet Explorer settings and check if it helps.

Change or reset Internet Explorer settings

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

Disclaimer: Reset Internet Explorer to its default configuration. This step will also disable any add-ons, plug-ins, or toolbars that are installed. Although this solution is quick, it also means that, if you want to use any of those add-ons
    in the future, they must be reinstalled.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Oct 27, 2021
  3. Error: "Settings out of date" and unable to save the password for the app on Windows 10

Hello Christine,

As the above description is not clear provide additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• Are you referring to Office Outlook (Mail client version)/ Mail app/ Windows Live Mail?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?

If you are referring to Windows Mail app, let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if there are any updates for Mail app in Windows Store. If found try to update the app.

Step 2: I suggest you to run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Refer: Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 3: I suggest you to check with the system Date, time and Time zone
    is set correct.

Follow the steps to set the date and time:

• Type Date and Time in the search bar.
    • Click Change date and time button.
    • Click Apply and Ok to save the date and time.
    Note: Click on the Time Zone tab to check the Time Zone.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with the required information for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 27, 2021
  4. Anakunda Win User

Setting defaults by app

I need help to understand how do set ALL supported file formats to associated app.
    In Settings > Default Apps > Defaults by app > APP > Manage I get overlong list of file formats, most of them unassociated.
    I don't find any method how to select them all and assign them to this App. In Windows 8.x it worked this way I have detailed list with sorting and multiselect capabilities. That list in Windows 10 is dummy and unable to assign other way than selecting App from drobdown for each format. Is that smarter list from Windows 8 really gone?

Anakunda, Oct 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Unable to keep files, apps, and settings during Windows 11 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Unable keep files

2. Windows 11 upgrade keeps failing during SECOND_BOOT during MIGRATE_DATA operation...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade keeps failing during SECOND_BOOT during MIGRATE_DATA operation...: I'm trying to upgrade my existing Windows 10 installation to Windows 11 but it keeps failing. It reaches around 90ish percent then I get a screen that says undoing changes and reboots back to Windows 10. My PC passes the health check for 11 but I have no option to upgrade...
  3. Windows 11 upgrade keeps failing during SECOND_BOOT during MIGRATE_DATA operation...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 upgrade keeps failing during SECOND_BOOT during MIGRATE_DATA operation...: I'm trying to upgrade my existing Windows 10 installation to Windows 11 but it keeps failing. It reaches around 90ish percent then I get a screen that says undoing changes and reboots back to Windows 10. My PC passes the health check for 11 but I have no option to upgrade...
  4. Windows 11 Upgrade with no Settings or Apps

Windows 11 Upgrade with no Settings or Apps: Windows 10 Home recently upgraded to 11 on this PC without warning and without ever asking after a system crash that required a restart on 4/28/2022.It wasn't really a big deal to me. I've always liked the new versions, but this time, a. it deleted my recovery drive, b. it...
  5. Windows 11 Upgrade with no Settings or Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Upgrade with no Settings or Apps: Windows 10 Home recently upgraded to 11 on this PC without warning and without ever asking after a system crash that required a restart on 4/28/2022.It wasn't really a big deal to me. I've always liked the new versions, but this time, a. it deleted my recovery drive, b. it...
  6. Unable to use offline account during Windows 11 set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to use offline account during Windows 11 set up: I reinstalled Windows 11 due to an application having malware and antiviruses were unable to detect the malware. I am currently using Windows 11 Enterprise and I am wondering why there isn’t an option for an offline account in “Sign-in options”....
  7. Unable to use offline account during Windows 11 set up

Unable to use offline account during Windows 11 set up: I reinstalled Windows 11 due to an application having malware and antiviruses were unable to detect the malware. I am currently using Windows 11 Enterprise and I am wondering why there isn’t an option for an offline account in “Sign-in options”....
  8. Unable to keep files, apps, and settings during Windows 11 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to keep files, apps, and settings during Windows 11 Upgrade: I'm trying to upgrade my computer to Windows 11. Health Check says that I'm all good to go. However when I get to nearly the final step of installation and it asks me what to keep, it only allows me to select Nothing. It says "Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept...
  9. Windows 11 Can't Keep files and settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Can't Keep files and settings: Way to bypass this and keep the files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-cant-keep-files-and-settings/e7e90515-9af6-4967-bbfd-7f98ee1580a0
  10. Windows 11 Can't Keep files and settings

Windows 11 Can't Keep files and settings: Way to bypass this and keep the files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-cant-keep-files-and-settings/e7e90515-9af6-4967-bbfd-7f98ee1580a0