Windows 10: Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE.

Discus and support Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello.....I have an Acer Extensa 15......I was trying to make a dual boot of Linux Mint alongside windows but I can't check if my device is using AHCI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FMHasan, Jun 10, 2021.

1. FMHasan Win User

Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE.

Hello.....I have an Acer Extensa 15......I was trying to make a dual boot of Linux Mint alongside windows but I can't check if my device is using AHCI or IDE. There is no such thing as IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in the device manager............and I don't know how to check it in the BIOS......can you help please!

:)

FMHasan, Jun 10, 2021
  2. Rudy Mas Win User

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Jun 10, 2021
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    AHCI and IDE

Is the 3TB drive your boot drive or a data drive? If it is just a data drive, it can be partitioned GPT as Windows has the driver to use GPT.

As far as AHCI v. IDE, look in device manager:

Device manager....

Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE. [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Jun 10, 2021
  4. Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE.

AHCI and IDE

If you open the drive properties in Device Manager->Disk Drives and go to the Details tab, the Device instance path should say "IDE" for IDE mode and "SCSI" for an AHCI controller.

Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE. [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Jun 10, 2021
Thema:

Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE.

1. Unable to know if my device is using AHCI or IDE. - Similar Threads - Unable device using

2. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI: Please I need someone to save me because this is making me go insane. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 21H1I'm no computer expert but recently a friend suggested I buy an SSD and install my SO in it to improve my PC's performance. He works in tech so he helped me set everything up by...
  4. Windows 10 won't boot on AHCI without first switching to IDE on BIOS, then back to AHCI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. IDE to AHCI new install Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    IDE to AHCI new install Help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD870 EVO. I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  6. IDE to AHCI help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IDE to AHCI help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO). I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  7. Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change SATA mode from IDE TO AHCI: Sorry to bother you all. I am currently trying to change my SATA mode from IDE to AHCI but in my BIOS the option to change it is grayed out. Is there anything I can do to fix this? My Specs are: Packard Bell imedia S1800 PC Ram: 2.0 GB DDR3 SSD: Crucial BX200 Media...
  8. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  9. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Support
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  10. AHCI vs regular Native IDE

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    AHCI vs regular Native IDE: Hello. I feel that setting your SATA harddisks to AHCI mode can be mandatory when you have a SSD drive. Doing some benchmarks on my Intel i7 shows that my SSD it's 50% slower running under IDE. Besides I am not sure but does IDE support TRIM commands? But what about...

Users found this page by searching for:

1.  IDE to AHCI Win 10 cmd

2. gpt wont detect in ahci