Windows 10: Unable to Launch File Manager from System Tray

Discus and support Unable to Launch File Manager from System Tray in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Forum Readers: I hope that you all are healthy and safe. Over this past week I have not been able to launch the File Manager by use of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by VinceB, May 22, 2020.

1. VinceB Win User

Unable to Launch File Manager from System Tray

Hello Forum Readers:

I hope that you all are healthy and safe.

Over this past week I have not been able to launch the File Manager by use of the folder icon located in my system tray. I have several short cuts located on my desktop, e.g., Recycle Bin, that do open up the File Manager; I then navigate to the folder of choice as my work around.

I also noticed that a right-click on an existing shortcut, e.g. Open Office 4.1.7, has no effect other than a hanging hour glass. The hour glass continues to be displayed when I relocate the mouse pointer within my 1st or 2nd (physical) monitor screen as I type this.

During these recent days, I have installed the most recent 32- and 64-bit versions of Java JREs. And updated Apache Openoffice and Libreoffice to their latest versions. I tried troubleshooting indexing as administrator, but no joy.

Any ideas or suggestions on how I should now proceed would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading this, and stay safe.

Regards,

:)

VinceB, May 22, 2020

2. Lost clock and calendar from system tray after update on September 25, 2016

Hi,

There are several reasons why this issue happens. To help you resolve this concern, we suggest that you adjust the height of the system tray. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the system tray.
    • Make sure that the Lock all taskbars
      option is unchecked.
    • Try positioning your cursor at the top edge of the system tray until you see a vertical line with arrows at both tips.
    • Hold the left mouse button down and drag the edge of the system tray upward to expand it.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, May 22, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Task Scheduler - launch program hidden in system tray

If the program doesn't have such a setting. automating that is difficult.

There are programs that add buttons to title bars or allow you to rt click the title bar and choose such an option, but that's not relevant to your need to launch it automatically.

This was discussed here, using an Autohotkey script:
    Need script to always start program in system tray - AutoHotkey Community
    but I would regard that only as a pointer, not a reliable solution.

There were older programs that did this:
    (I can't post the link - it does something very odd when I do)
    It's on lifehacker.com

Windows only: Freeware application Trayconizer turns any application into a system tray application in just a few steps. Unlike other previously mentioned minimize-to-system-tray apps like TrayIt or 4t Tray Minimizer, Trayconizer starts applications in the system tray from the moment you run them. To use it, you need to tweak the shortcut you're using to launch the application (right-click shortcut and select Properties) by adding the path to Trayconizer in front of the app like so: C:\Path\To\Trayconizer.exe C:\Windows\Notepad.exe. Trayconizer is freeware, Windows only, requires no install, and consumes a paltry 2MB of RAM.

dalchina, May 22, 2020
  4. p060477 Win User

Avira icon on system tray not showing

thxs!
    all the services to which it depends this one are actually set to -automatic- and are all working...

i've just unistalled and do the exact procedure suggested by marsmimar..but did really not solve

see also this topic on avira forum:
    no more avira icon in my system tray - Avira Answers

what a pity
    what a shame for avira...

p060477, May 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to Launch File Manager from System Tray - Similar Threads - Unable Launch File

2. App Disappears from System Tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App Disappears from System Tray: The Laptops win 11 are under AD Win Server 2019. Admin credential is needed to execute one executable file and the screen cast application appears in the system tray of the laptop. The application disappears once the laptop Win 11 is rebooted. Again admin credential is needed...
  3. Bluetooth Missing from System Tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth Missing from System Tray: The Bluetooth icon in the system tray has disappeared. The tray settings menu show it is there but the icon will not appear so I have no access to using Bluetooth. This happened with Windows last update in late April. Cortana quit with the early April update. How much more...
  4. System Icons disappearing from tray

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Icons disappearing from tray: After a recent update, currently on 20h2 build 19042.964, system icons have disappeared from the tray area near the clock. To be a little more specific, I can take all icons and hide them in the drawer and all icons show there. But when I set icons to always show, the first...
  5. Music playing from system tray

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Music playing from system tray: Hello. Strange request... There's music playing every time I open a tab from the system tray, and I can't seem to find the source... It might be an auto-play video from the windows store or whatever, but I've removed the store from the system tray. At least its visibility....
  6. remove Hds from the system tray

remove Hds from the system tray: Hello i just installed win 10 64 bit pro The problem is that all three hard drives appear in the system tray. from the fear of ejecting unintentionally. I had a regedit setup that solved this in win 7. for win 10 i can't find anything on the net. does anyone have a...
  7. Apps in system tray not launching

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Apps in system tray not launching: I have an Acer Predator laptop model PH315-51 running Windows 10 64-bit (1903). Please bear with me as I explain the background. I'm not sure when this problem started happening, but it could well be early August - because that's when a Windows update broke my Train...
  8. Icons disappear from system tray

Icons disappear from system tray: Hi, I have already performed the following: Right-click on an empty space in your desktop taskbar and select Properties. In the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window, find the selection labeled Notification Area and click on Customize. Click on Turn system icons on or...
  9. system tray

system tray: the date and time have disappeared. I've tried everything but nothing works. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-tray/c2528115-5a76-4248-96e4-59575a562265
  10. Task Scheduler - launch program hidden in system tray

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler - launch program hidden in system tray: I am using a program called ThrottleStop to undervolt my laptop. I have configured it via Task Scheduler to launch minimized at the log on of any user. Is there any way to launch it with the icon hidden in the system tray, similar to how Windows Defender works? 96563