Windows 10: Unable to link PC to my Microsoft account

Discus and support Unable to link PC to my Microsoft account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; In Windows 10 settings, under Accounts > Your Info ... I'm trying to use the "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" option. My user account has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ErraticMenace, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Unable to link PC to my Microsoft account

In Windows 10 settings, under Accounts > Your Info ...

I'm trying to use the "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" option. My user account has always been local but I'm building a new PC and want to make sure my license is on my Microsoft account so I can activate Windows with my new motherboard.

(I have Windows 10 digital license. I bought my PC prebuilt in 2012 and it had Windows 7. I later upgraded to Windows 10 for free when it was released)

When I click "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead", I enter my Microsoft account email, then my password, then my current Windows password, but then I get an error:

"Oops, something went wrong

Whatever happened, it was probably our fault. Please try again."

I've done tons of research trying to find a solution here, and can't get it to work. Please help.

:)

ErraticMenace, Feb 28, 2019

2. Unable to remove my microsoft account from a linked pc

Hi Dave,

To help you with your concern in deleting your Microsoft account from a device, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Have you tried deleting your Microsoft account directly from the old laptop?
    • How did you go about removing the account from the old laptop?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you create a new local account with admin rights first, then remove the current Microsoft account by following the steps on this

article

We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Unable to set up Microsoft Account

Hi CrossFitDerek,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that you are unable to set up Microsoft account on Windows 10.

Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

• Are you able to log into Microsoft account online?
    • What error message you receive when you enter the new password?
    I suggest you to try the steps provided, in the link below.

Sign in with a Microsoft account:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-microsoft-account

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Addie Win User

Unable to link PC to my Microsoft account

Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account

Hello Ken,

Im using Win10 Build 1607 with all latest update.

I also run all related troubleshooters:
    • Windows Update
    • Store Apps (says i have to login in my microsoft account but thats the problem, i can't)
    • Microsoft Accounts

No Problem found. Also the suggestions from Microsoft didnt helped.

Addie, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Unable to link PC to my Microsoft account

1. Unable to link PC to my Microsoft account - Similar Threads - Unable link Microsoft

2. In my windows settings, I am unable to link my PC to my microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In my windows settings, I am unable to link my PC to my microsoft account.: I have tried to reset my personal outlook password multiple times however I am still unable to link my PC to my email.I have no issue accessing my outlook however I am unable to link my PC to my account. After going through and authenticating the login through the Microsoft...
  3. In my windows settings, I am unable to link my PC to my microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In my windows settings, I am unable to link my PC to my microsoft account.: I have tried to reset my personal outlook password multiple times however I am still unable to link my PC to my email.I have no issue accessing my outlook however I am unable to link my PC to my account. After going through and authenticating the login through the Microsoft...
  4. Unable to link device to Microsoft account / Unable to remove device from Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to link device to Microsoft account / Unable to remove device from Microsoft account.: This is an issue I'm seeing is fairly common recently based on other threads.I'm trying to transfer a Windows 10 digital license between an old pc build and a new one Motherboard/CPU changeI had never linked my old PC's license to my Microsoft account so I tried to link both...
  5. Unable to link device to Microsoft account / Unable to remove device from Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to link device to Microsoft account / Unable to remove device from Microsoft account.: This is an issue I'm seeing is fairly common recently based on other threads.I'm trying to transfer a Windows 10 digital license between an old pc build and a new one Motherboard/CPU changeI had never linked my old PC's license to my Microsoft account so I tried to link both...
  6. Unable to link device to Microsoft account / Unable to remove device from Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Link Second PC to Microsoft Account

Link Second PC to Microsoft Account: Hi,I am looking to buy a second hand Windows 10 PC. I found one that I am looking at buying. Will I be able to change the O/S registration to my Microsoft account after purchasing it? And how is this done? Can I do it from within the computer or do I need to go through...
  8. Unable to link Microsoft Account with Digital License

Unable to link Microsoft Account with Digital License: Hi there. I am due to replace my motherboard on my laptop and I want to prepare accordingly. Advice on from Microsoft suggests that I link my Microsoft Account to my Digital License but I am unable to do so. I currently use a local account. I have been into "Settings ->...
  9. Unable to Link Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Unable to Link Microsoft Account in Windows 10: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Education Version 1903 OS build 18362.836. I am trying to reformat my SSD and re-install Windows in my PC. While attempting to link my Microsoft account, I noticed that the option was unavailable. Is there a way to link my account so that I...
  10. Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to link Microsoft Account to my Local Account: Hi all, When I click on the link to associate my Microsoft Account to my Local Account (after upgrading from Windows 7), it simply does nothing. Click, click, click. Similarly, when I try to log in the Windows store app, I get an application error with cryptic codes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to link to microsoft account

2. my laptop wont link microsoft account sorry its probably our fault

3. link pc to microsoft account