Windows 10: Unable to load Steam/Origin games from secondary HDD

Discus and support Unable to load Steam/Origin games from secondary HDD in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello, I recently upgraded to a new motherboard, CPU, and GPU and in the process of getting everything up and running again, I noticed that my system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ACP90, Jul 25, 2019.

1. ACP90 Win User

Unable to load Steam/Origin games from secondary HDD

Hello,

I recently upgraded to a new motherboard, CPU, and GPU and in the process of getting everything up and running again, I noticed that my system is unable to boot games through Steam or Origin if they're installed on my HDD. I currently have a PCIe M.2 SSD as my main hard drive, a 1TB non-M.2 SSD and a 2TB HDD. Games installed on either SSD load up just fine, but the games installed on the HDD will not load at all. Before I upgraded my system, I had no problems whatsoever and even games with no DRM that I have installed directly onto my HDD will play, it's just the ones that need to be ran through Steam/Origin that won't even boot up. I have reinstalled Windows, Steam, and Origin, formatted my HDD, checked all my connections, ran a safety file check, ran multiple disk monitoring utilities, but I have come up with absolutely nothing and am starting to get a little flustered here. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and let me know if I missed any important details.

:)

ACP90, Jul 25, 2019

2. Steam

Hi Sam,

There are several reasons why you are unable to play the game that you installed using the Steam Client. It is possible that the app is corrupted or the permission settings are not enabled on your PC. To resolve your concern, we suggest that you reset the
    app.

This process can help restore corrupted game installation files. Here's how:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard, and then click the Settings icon.
    • Select System, and then select Apps & features.
    • Find the game, and then click on Advanced options.
    • Click Reset.
    • Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

You may visit this
    link
    for the instructions on how to enable app permissions on your PC.

Make sure that you are using an administrator account to launch the app. If you are still experiencing the same issue, remove the
    ClientRegistry.blob file by following the steps below:

• Close the Steam Client and go to the Steam root folder or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam.
    • Look for the ClientRegistry.blob file.
    • Make a copy of the file and change it to a different file name. (for example, copy.ClientRegistry.blog)
    • Delete the original file.
    • Launch the Steam Client and run your game again.

If the issue persists, you may relocate the Steam Client by performing the steps below:

• Close the Steam Client app and go to the Steam installation folder.
    • Browse for the installation files that you would like to move.
    • Delete all of the files inside that folder except the SteamApps & Userdata and Steam.exe.
    • You may cut and paste the whole Steam installation folder to a default storage location on your PC.
    • Launch the app again and make sure to log in using your account.

After signing in, you'll need to change the default installation path for the games that you will install in the future. Here's how:

• Launch the Steam Client and go to the Settings
      menu.Select Steam Library Folders from the
      Downloads tab.
    • You may create a new path by selecting Add Library Folder. All future installations will go directly to the newly created path.
    • Right-click on the newly created path and make sure that it is set to default.

If you are still unable to play your games using the Steam Client, we recommend that you contact
    Steam Support directly for additional solutions in fixing the app and its components.

Should you have any other queries, you can contact us anytime.

Loraine Mon, Jul 25, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Steam game crashes

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• Does the issue occur only with Steam games or all games?
    • Are you able to view videos?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you to update the Graphic Card driver by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update the driver.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 25, 2019
  4. Unable to load Steam/Origin games from secondary HDD

Steam games won't launch on Windows 10?

Hi Oaasfari,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Which are all the Steam games you are unable to launch?
    • Do you get any error message/code when you try to launch the game?
    If the Steam games are not working in Windows 10 then, I would suggest you to contact the Games manufacturer for further assistance and check if the Game is compatible with Windows 10.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Reply with necessary information and we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

Unable to load Steam/Origin games from secondary HDD

1. Unable to load Steam/Origin games from secondary HDD - Similar Threads - Unable load Steam

2. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  3. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  4. When connecting the original xbox hdd gamepad is loaded at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When connecting the original xbox hdd gamepad is loaded at 100%: Hello. Bought an original xbox wireless controller. Problems occur when connecting to a Windows 11 PC. After connecting, there are no problems, but as soon as I press any button on the gamepad, the PC boots to 100% HDD. I look through the task manager. PC lags also start....
  5. When connecting the original xbox hdd gamepad is loaded at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When connecting the original xbox hdd gamepad is loaded at 100%: Hello. Bought an original xbox wireless controller. Problems occur when connecting to a Windows 11 PC. After connecting, there are no problems, but as soon as I press any button on the gamepad, the PC boots to 100% HDD. I look through the task manager. PC lags also start....
  6. Secondary HDD not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD not showing: I got HP 15ay-543tu with windows 10 ver.1909 installed in it I istalled a new ssd with os in it to the main os boot space. And my older HDD as in DVD reader with caddy First few days it works fine, but suddenly it stopped showing in windows explorer, disk managment, device...
  7. 100% Disk Usage on Secondary Steam Games SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% Disk Usage on Secondary Steam Games SSD: I have had a strange problem for over a month now and have made lots of different attempts to fix it. When starting my computer one of my SSDs runs at 100% usage slowing down the entire computer, especially file explorer even though it only has a steam library on it. I...
  8. Secondary HDD Keeps Disappearing while installing games on to it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Secondary HDD Keeps Disappearing while installing games on to it: Hello All I've encountered a weird problem with my PC. Not long ago i bought a new HDD 1tb Seagate Barracuda because I assumed my old one has died I've had it for 6 years ish. when it arrived i slotted it in to my PC and tried to format, it wouldn't work. An error kept...
  9. Origin will not load

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Origin will not load: I have had a problem launching the Origin platform since the last update. I have worked with the Origin help people but they have been unable to resolve this issue and have said that the problem is with my Windows, although they have not been specific as to what the problem...
  10. Original HDD...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Original HDD...: Now that I'm running my WIndows 10 machine with an SSD, I'm wondering what to do with the original HDD. I've done nothing with it at this point since it still has that recovery partition from the manufacturer (Dell) on it. The computer did not come with recovery disks....