Windows 10: Unable to locate network machines while using SMBv2 protocol

Discus and support Unable to locate network machines while using SMBv2 protocol in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A week or two ago (around NewYear 2019) my Win10 based laptop stopped seeing local network machines using SMB2 protocol. Accessing shares by explicit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hale_ru, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Hale_ru Win User

Unable to locate network machines while using SMBv2 protocol

A week or two ago (around NewYear 2019) my Win10 based laptop stopped seeing local network machines using SMB2 protocol. Accessing shares by explicit machine names works fine.

Before that I had no problems with listing active machine names. Nothing was changed from my side; but windows 10 updates itself without prompting, or telling what it plans to update... so probably it was damaged from Microsoft side.

SMB1 was disabled long ago.

There is a forced master browser NAS/Router with SAMBA working 24x7. SMB2 protocol is forced for shares. Higher SMB versions are not supported there. Domain controller features are not used - only master browser and WINS(nmbd). Access is based on user name/password in all the network. DNS (dnsmasq) is also configured for local network domain suffix. i.e. Both WINS and DNS fulfill dynamic LAN name resolution with no problems.

In windows 10 SMB2 seems enabled, but unable to get network resource listing from SAMBA master browser.

PS C:\windows\system32> Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB2Protocol
    EnableSMB2Protocol
    ------------------

True

All the firewalls are configured for private LAN with file sharing and I also tried disabling(opening) the firewalls inside the LAN.

When installing SMB1 client on WIn10, and allowing SMB1 in SAMBA, the network machine listing revives. But still, it is not correct, since SMB1 is deprecated and not supported by default in Windows anymore.

Is there a way to bring SMB2 LAN machine listing back to life on Windows 10?

***Modified title from: Win10 stopped listing home network machines through SMB2 protocol.***

:)

Hale_ru, Jan 12, 2019

2. unable to access printer from XP shared machine

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

I suggest you to disable the SNMP option from Windows features and check if it helps.

To do that please follow the steps below:

• Type Windows feature in the search bar.
    • Open Turn windows feature On or Off.
    • Locate SNMP. Simple Network Management Protocol and Turn it off.

Please let us know to in future if you need further help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jan 12, 2019
  3. MrWhoopee Win User
    MrWhoopee, Jan 12, 2019
  4. Unable to locate network machines while using SMBv2 protocol

Network Protocols

You'll restart the machine at least once.
    Save any work, close open programs.
    Any unsaved work will be lost.

The run command quickly gets you to Network Connections

WinKey+R ncpa.cpl
    After each suggested solution, see the issue is resolved.
    If one suggestions fixes the issue, you do NOT have to do any of the other suggestions.

1. Run the built-in Troubleshooter
      Right click the network icon on the Taskbar
      Pick Troubleshoot problems
      Select Identify and repair network problems
      Follow instructions in the troubleshooter
    2. Reset networking
      Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
      Copy the lines in the code box below
      Right click in the Command Prompt window to paste

Code:
      Code:
      netsh winsock reset  netsh int ip reset  netsh int ipv4 reset  netsh int ipv6 reset  ipconfig /renew  ipconfig /flushdns
      Restart your machine
    3. Disable IPv6
      Open Network Connections
      Right click on the affected adapter(s) (Wifi, Ethernet, or each one of them)
      Select Properties
      Scroll down to Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
      Remove the check mark
      Press OK

Restart your machine
    4. Reinstall TCP/Pv4
      Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
      enter the following commands
      netsh int ipv4 install
      exit
      Restart your machine
    5. Restart Your Network Adapters
      Open Network Connections
      Right click the affected adapter(s) (Wifi, Ethernet, or each one of them)
      Pick Disable

Restart your machine

Open Network Connections
      Right click the affected adapter(s) (Wifi, Ethernet, or each one of them)
      Pick Enable
    6. Uninstall and Reinstall Your Security/Antivirus Software

Slartybart, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

Unable to locate network machines while using SMBv2 protocol

1. Unable to locate network machines while using SMBv2 protocol - Similar Threads - Unable locate network

2. Network Protocol error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Protocol error: In a web page and click on a link and often get Network protocol error and to contact site but can't because of this error.Why? How do I fix this?Just started after I installed Avast One AV....
  3. Network Protocol error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Protocol error: In a web page and click on a link and often get Network protocol error and to contact site but can't because of this error.Why? How do I fix this?Just started after I installed Avast One AV....
  4. Unable to locate PC’s on the network

Unable to locate PC’s on the network: Have 5 computers all running windows 10 and are on our home network. However they are not fully recognized by each other. Only one desktop discovers all 5, the other 2 desktops recognize only two one being themselves and one other. The other desktop discovers two others but...
  5. Locate Build number of network machines

Locate Build number of network machines: We have a network with about 80 client machines, mostly running Windows 10 on the desktops. Is there a tool we can run on our domain controller or some way that we can retrieve a list of the OS and Build level on each machine? We have several network management tools that...
  6. Unable to see network location

Unable to see network location: Hi everyone, I have a USB drive connected to my TP-LINK Archer VR600 router. I've successfully set this drive as a network location on my laptop (running windows 10) with no issues whatsoever. However, when trying to do the exact same thing on my desktop PC, I'm unable to see...
  7. Missing Network Protocols

in Browsers and Email
    Missing Network Protocols: I'm trying to get to Gibson's Research website. I cannot access it. I'm being told I'm missing network protocols. Haven't a clue. Any idea's. How do I find what protocols I'm missing. Windows 10 on a Dell Venue 8 pro tablet. Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Edge cannot...
  8. Network Protocols solution

Network Protocols solution: Posting this after seeing 148 responses to this in thread "Network Protocols" which with all its differing answers could be confusing. This simple way worked for me. Open Device Manager, open "Network Adapters", right click on either "Ethernet Controller" or "Wireless...
  9. Network Protocols Missing

Network Protocols Missing: Noted immediately after 1511 total system update, yet may have been inherited from an earlier build... All is working well, yet Network Troubleshooter reports "one or more network protocols is missing." Various posted remedies have been verified or implemented, to no...
  10. Network Protocols

Network Protocols: Problem trying to connect to internet on laptop, but all working as normal on desktop. Investigations revealed....one or more Network Protocols are missing on this computer, also Windows sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing....this on both...