Windows 10: Unable to locate PC’s on the network

Discus and support Unable to locate PC’s on the network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Have 5 computers all running windows 10 and are on our home network. However they are not fully recognized by each other. Only one desktop discovers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sadnewbie, Mar 16, 2020.

1. sadnewbie Win User

Unable to locate PC’s on the network

Have 5 computers all running windows 10 and are on our home network. However they are not fully recognized by each other. Only one desktop discovers all 5, the other 2 desktops recognize only two one being themselves and one other. The other desktop discovers two others but not itself. All four computers are hardwired connected. The fifth computer is a laptop and it discovers itself and one other computer in the network, this one is wireless.

All the files and folders or disks that can be shared have been properly set by advance sharing. The network advanced features for discovery and sharing have been turned on on all computers. Function Discovery Services have been set to automatic.

How can I make sure we all can be seen by each other and share access.
    All help and assist will be appreciated.

Sadnewbie

***Modified title from: Windows 10 Networking not working right***

:)

sadnewbie, Mar 16, 2020
  2. trexmkii Win User

Unable to see network location

Hi everyone,
    I have a USB drive connected to my TP-LINK Archer VR600 router.
    I've successfully set this drive as a network location on my laptop (running windows 10) with no issues whatsoever.
    However, when trying to do the exact same thing on my desktop PC, I'm unable to see drive on my network at all.
    I've tried switching to a static IP, tried connecting the PC using both wired and wireless connections and made sure the network settings are identical on both machines but had no luck.
    When the laptop is on, I can see it on my network as well as other device connected to the router (phones, TV, printer, etc), just not the drive.

Laptop network locations:

Unable to locate PC’s on the network [​IMG]

The router (with the drive) shows up just fine.

PC network locations:

Unable to locate PC’s on the network [​IMG]

Same exact network, no router. Everything else works fine.

Any ideas?

trexmkii, Mar 16, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    add a network location windows 10

Hi Erich,

Adding a network place in Windows allows you to access FTP, Windows file shares, and some HTTP servers directly in My Network Places, without having to use an FTP client.
    To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you tried adding a network location?
    • Are you trying to add a network location or map a network drive?

Meanwhile, if you're adding a network location, we suggest that you follow these steps below about adding a network location:

• Open This PC in File Explorer, click on the Computer tab, click on the
      Add a network location button in the ribbon.
    • Click on Next in the Add Network Location wizard.
    • Click on Choose a custom network location, and click on
      Next
    • Type the address of the website, FTP site, or network location you want to add, and click on
      Next.
    • If you are allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, click on
      Next
    • Type a name you want for this network location in This PC, and click on
      Next
    • If you are not allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, then uncheck the
      Log on anonymously box, enter the user name for the network location, and click on
      Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • If you could not log on anonymously to this network location, you will see a
      Log On As
      dialog prompting you to enter the user name and password for this network location. Check the
      Save password box if you do not want to be required to type the user name and password every time you access this network location. Click on
      Log On when finished.
    • The network location will now open.

If you're mapping a network, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how to map a network drive.

Let us know if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Mar 16, 2020
  4. Unable to locate PC’s on the network

Unable to connect smart phone to PC.

The articles suggested did not correct the problem.

Additionally, I'm unable to locate the settings you suggested I verify. I assume the settings are on my PC but I can not locate "Diagnosis" on my applications list so as to check them. Please provide additional instructions that will allow to check the
    settings.

Thank you,.

Dodge Car Man, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

Unable to locate PC’s on the network

1. Unable to locate PC’s on the network - Similar Threads - Unable locate PC’s

2. network locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    network locations: I have ask this once before and got no where and yet again another item of microsofts thats does not work at all what so ever but somehow windows networking does work, somehow. i open network icon on desktop i see computers i double click on a computer i am prompted with...
  3. network locations

network locations: I have ask this once before and got no where and yet again another item of microsofts thats does not work at all what so ever but somehow windows networking does work, somehow. i open network icon on desktop i see computers i double click on a computer i am prompted with...
  4. Unable to start Network Location Awareness service

Unable to start Network Location Awareness service: Hi all, Can anyone advise how to get the Network Location Awareness service running again? It seems that because this service isn't running, Windows isn't "aware" that I'm online. And because it's not aware, I'm experiencing other issues eg it thinks my Windows isn't...
  5. unable to locate files on pc

unable to locate files on pc: Suddenly today I am unable to open any saved files on my PC. I get a notification saying windows is unable to locate them with their full file name. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-locate-files-on-pc/e05c2520-d09c-42ca-ad16-349bc7d7dc3e
  6. PC is unable to find or locate files which are in the correct location

in Windows 10 Support
    PC is unable to find or locate files which are in the correct location: 1. Okay so I've been trying to fix this issue for a LONG time and I've written a lot of posts so to try and give more context on what's happening here's a post I wrote somewhere else explaining the issues I was facing. "Okay so I'm going to try and keep this as coherent as...
  7. Network Locations

Network Locations: Just recently I have been noticing that sometimes, the "Network Location" in This PC, which is located underneath your "Devices and Drives" drop down tab contains network location(s) at times and would then disappear after a time. I just then today, went into the Network tab...
  8. Network location?

Network location?: What is this ? Will it harm? [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-location/7c038228-3a87-4f6e-a38b-9e21f1888829
  9. Unable to add webserver as network location in Windows 10

Unable to add webserver as network location in Windows 10: I attempted to add a college classweb server by using the network location wizard. It worked once, but then I tried to recreate my steps by uninstalling it and reinstalling it. When I attempted to reinstall it the second time, I now get an error message that the folder...
  10. Unable to see network location

Unable to see network location: Hi everyone, I have a USB drive connected to my TP-LINK Archer VR600 router. I've successfully set this drive as a network location on my laptop (running windows 10) with no issues whatsoever. However, when trying to do the exact same thing on my desktop PC, I'm unable to see...