Windows 10: Unable to log-in after October 2018 (v1809) Windows 10 update.

Discus and support Unable to log-in after October 2018 (v1809) Windows 10 update. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; TL;DR: Unable to log-in after v1809 update (I'm eternally stuck in the log-in screen), can't get into any safe modes (keyboard(s) not recognized on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Luther Maldenadez, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Unable to log-in after October 2018 (v1809) Windows 10 update.

TL;DR: Unable to log-in after v1809 update (I'm eternally stuck in the log-in screen), can't get into any safe modes (keyboard(s) not recognized on "Startup Settings" screen), still have the option to revert to v1803, want to know if there is anything I can try to log in before I revert to v1803.

Long and detailed version:
    I can't log into Windows since the October 2018 update (v1809). Here's the series of events, starting around 17:30 on Nov 14:
    -I downloaded the v1809 installer from Microsoft's website
    -I ran the installer, clicked a few continue/next/okay buttons until it begin downloading/verifying/preparing/installing the update
    -About ten minutes later, the installer told me that it would restart to install the update in thirty minutes, and gave me the option to "Restart Now"
    -I clicked "Restart Now"
    -I received a message notifying me that I was about to be logged off, and after about thirty seconds, my computer restarted
    -The installation process began, and it went as usual, with a few restarts here and there
    -I watched the whole installation, five minutes total, nothing out of the ordinary occurred
    -The installation progress hits 100%, and I'm presented with my normal log-in screen

-I typed in my password, and hit "enter"

-The loading animation replaces the password entry box, but suddenly, I'm back at the log-in screen

This is what it looks like:

https://imgur.com/a/8zKPRKw

(don't worry, I was planning on changing my password soon anyways, so I might as well do so now that you know it's really just a bunch of dots)

-I'm immediately worried, since I've seen this happen on another one of my computers when I connected it to a 4K TV that wasn't entirely friendly with HDCP. (That story doesn't matter, I'm just telling you this so that you understand why I tried the next step)

-I unplug all but one of my monitors, maybe multiple monitors is causing issues? Try to log in, same issue.
    -I start trying a variety of monitors and cables (tried HDMI and DP on each of my monitors individually)
    -Attempting the infamous "have you tried turning it off and on again", I click the power icon in the bottom right, and click "Restart"
    -My computer restarts as normal, absolutely no signs that anything is out of the ordinary, but once I try logging in again but the issue persists
    I know the issue isn't my password, because if I purposely type it wrong, I'm presented with the message I normally get when I typo my password.

-I decide to try safe mode, so I click the power icon in the bottom right of the log-in screen, and hold left shift while I click "Restart"
    -I'm presented with the recovery options menu, and I go through a series of menus until I make it to the "Startup Settings" button, and I click it
    -My computer restarts into the screen that presents all the startup options
    -I see that F5 or 5 correspond to "Enable Safe Mode with Networking", and press the 5 key on my keyboard
    -Nothing happens, and I realize that my computer doesn't acknowledge the existance of a keyboard, as no key does anything (not even caps/scroll/num lock) I don't know why, as even my motherboard UEFI accepts my keyboard.
    -Thinking it's an issue with the anti-ghosting features of my keyboard, I go and grab a completely different, simple USB keyboard, and plug that in while everything is still on, and no change.
    -I power off my PC by pressing the physical power button, start it back up again, and return to the "Startup Settings" screen. I do this a few times, each time with one of my two USB keyboards plugged into a different USB port. I tried each keyboard in every single USB port I have, with no change at all. I even tried unplugging everything except for power, video, ethernet, and keyboard from my computer, and navigated everything with tab, space, and enter, STILL no change on the "Startup Settings" screen. I do have a PS/2 port, but I do not have any PS/2 keyboards/mice. Legacy USB Support and XHCI Hand-off are both enabled in my UEFI settings.
    I know my keyboards and/or USB ports aren't the issue because input worked in the login screen before I made it to the "Startup Settings" screen.

-I tried "Startup Repair" from the recovery options, and got "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC". Nothing changed.

I had run a CHKDSK on my Windows (CUnable to log-in after October 2018 (v1809) Windows 10 update. :) drive immediately before the update, and everything was okay.

So, I'm stuck. From what I've gathered during my time with Windows, not being able to log in is likely an issue with a driver, but I can't boot into safe mode since the "Startup Settings" screen doesn't recognize a keyboard exists, no matter what USB port or keyboard I use. I have the option to use "System Restore" or to "Uninstall Updates" from the recovery menus, but I'm asking here before I do that to know if there is anything else I could try, before reverting to Windows v1803.

This is on my custom built desktop PC, with the following main components:
    CPU: Intel i5 7600K
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
    Mobo: MSI Z270-A Pro
    RAM: 16GB(2x8GB) DDR4 2800Mhz

Windows (CUnable to log-in after October 2018 (v1809) Windows 10 update. :) drive: Corsair MP300 250GB NVMe SSD

4x other HDDs

:)

Luther Maldenadez, Nov 14, 2018
  2. Bree Win User
  3. Brink Win User
    Start developing on Windows 10 October 2018 Update today

Source: Start developing on Windows 10 October 2018 Update today - Windows Developer Blog

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) View on Twiiter

Brink, Nov 14, 2018
  4. Brink Win User

Unable to log-in after October 2018 (v1809) Windows 10 update.

Windows 10 October 2018 Update rollout now paused

UDPATE: 10/9:

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) View on Twiiter[/quote]

Grab more quiet time with the #Windows10 October 2018 Update. It’s available now and crafted to help you make the most of every moment. #MicrosoftEvent

Known issues updating to Windows 10, version 1809

*Arrow Find lost files after the upgrade to Windows 10

[table][tr][td]Symptom[/td] [td]Workaround[/td] [/tr] [tr][td][ADDED 10/8] We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809)* for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating. For the latest information on this issue please see John Cable's blog. *Affected platforms:
    • Windows 10, version 1809
    • Windows Server, version 1809
    • Windows 10 IoT Core, version 1809
    • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019
    • Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2019
    • Windows Server 2019
    [/td] [td]If you have manually checked for updates and believe you have an issue with missing files after an update, please minimize your use of the affected device and contact us directly at +1-800-MICROSOFT, or find a local number in your area find a local number. Alternatively use a different device to contact us (link will vary according to country of origin) If you have manually downloaded the Windows 10 October 2018 Update installation media, please don’t install it and wait until new media is available. We will provide an update when we resume rolling out the Windows 10 October 2018 Update to customers.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

See also:

Brink, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

Unable to log-in after October 2018 (v1809) Windows 10 update.

1. Unable to log-in after October 2018 (v1809) Windows 10 update. - Similar Threads - Unable log October

2. Unable to boot following October 2018 windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot following October 2018 windows 10 update: I have a Lenovo Z575 Ideapad which originally had Windows 7 installed, it was updated to Windows 10 via the official free upgrade. It has been running Window 10 (64 bit) fine, however following a Window update when switched on all i get is a black screen, i am unable to get...
  3. Windows 10 October 2018 update.

Windows 10 October 2018 update.: I am eagerly waiting for the new windows update, I checked windows update and also clicked on "check for updates" button, but there were no new updates, a news had came that Microsoft released that update on 9th October, but its already 19, Is my device ineligible? How do I...
  4. Windows 10 October 2018 Update v1809 – Problems and Issues being reported

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update v1809 – Problems and Issues being reported: [ATTACH] Microsoft has started rolling out Windows 10 v1809 October 2018 Update for all Windows users, and if you are planning to update, make sure to take a backup of all your files before you actually hit that Install button. As with [...] This post Windows 10 October 2018...
  5. windows 10 october update 2018

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 october update 2018: hi joydeep sir what bug fixes included in this update for windows 10 october 1809 and aslo what features included. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-october-update-2018/9b39add1-fba9-40d1-8693-31aaf4cc4c1b
  6. Windows v1809 October Update.

Windows v1809 October Update.: This now available to download at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-v1809-october-update/57af1e7c-8e1e-40cf-90f7-205e29c51af4
  7. Windows 10 October 2018 Update v1809 not installing

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update v1809 not installing: [ATTACH] Some users reported that they were unable to install the Windows 10 October 2018 Update v1809 on their system. Though there may or may not be any error message specific to this issue, users reported that it reverts to the [...] This post Windows 10 October 2018...
  8. How to get the Windows 10 October 2018 Update v1809

in Windows 10 News
    How to get the Windows 10 October 2018 Update v1809: [ATTACH] Microsoft will start offering Windows 10 October 2018 Update v1809 soon now, and I am sure that most of you must be looking forward to installing it as soon as it is made publicly available. This post shows the various [...] This post How to get the Windows 10...
  9. New features in Windows 10 v1809 October 2018 Update

in Windows 10 News
    New features in Windows 10 v1809 October 2018 Update: [ATTACH] Microsoft will start rolling out next major feature update for Windows 10 next month. Called as Windows 10 October 2018 Update, the Windows 10 v1809 brings in a plethora of new features and improvements. In this post, we are sharing [...] This post New features in...
  10. RS5 v1809 will officially be called: Windows 10 October 2018 Update

in Windows 10 News
    RS5 v1809 will officially be called: Windows 10 October 2018 Update: Windows Insiders should get the final build of Windows 10 October 2018 Update in September. The public rollout will be started in October, 2018. As part of this commitment, I’m pleased to announce that our next feature update to Windows will be called the Windows 10 October...