Windows 10: Unable to log in using PIN or password - odd behavior

Discus and support Unable to log in using PIN or password - odd behavior in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm using windows 10 on a Lenovo 330. I have always used a PIN to login, but following the latest windows update yesterday, I get the message... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TS Obrien, Feb 14, 2021.

1. TS Obrien Win User

Unable to log in using PIN or password - odd behavior

I'm using windows 10 on a Lenovo 330. I have always used a PIN to login, but following the latest windows update yesterday, I get the message "Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your pin again" I try two different paths:

1 I click set up your PIN. When I do this, I get the "just a moment" message and it takes me back to "Something happened to your PIN..." message

2 I change the login to sign in using my password. I tried all the passwords I can think of and they don't work. I click "forgot my password." It says wait a minute, the screen turns blue for 2 seconds and takes me back to the login screen.

Any ideas of what I could do to log in at this point? Unfortunately I never made a recovery disk and haven't backed up for a while.

Thanks for any help.

:)

TS Obrien, Feb 14, 2021

2. Unable to log in with a PIN

Hi Scott,

Using a PIN is easier to memorize than a long password. However, issues like this can emerge due to corrupted user profile or there are missing files on your user account folder. If the PIN and password will not work, deleting files in the
    Ngc folder can help. To do that, you can follow these steps:

Step #1: Delete the Ngc folder.

• Use your password to log in to Windows 10.
    • Open File Explorer and paste this in the URL box:

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft.
    • Right click Ngc folder and choose Properties.
    • Navigate to Security tab and click on Advanced button.
    • Locate the Owner section at the top and click Change link.
    • Enter the object name to select enter Administrators, if you’re using administrator account, or your user name and click
      Check Names and click OK.
    • Check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and click Apply and OK. Now you should be able to access the
      Ngc folder.
    • Open Ngc folder, select all files and folders in it and delete them.

Step #2: Start creating a new PIN.

After you’ve deleted everything from Ngc folder, you can create new PIN for your Windows 10 device by doing these steps:

• Go to Settings app, then Account Settings.
    • Choose Sign-in Options and click Add a
      PIN
    • Follow the instruction to add a new PIN.
    • Test your PIN using the Command Prompt (Admin).
    • If you cannot find the Command Prompt Admin, you can enable it using Command Prompt and typing net user
      administrator /active:yes
    • After enabling built-in administrator account, you may logon and try resetting the password of the account which is not working. You may disable it later once you are done by entering net user
      administrator /active:no in
      Command Prompt
      . You can use this also if you want to change passwords or
      PINs in other User Accounts.

Let us know if you have questions on the above steps or other queries.

Johann Eva, Feb 14, 2021
  3. How do you reset windows 10 log on pin password

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Click on Sign-in options on the log on screen. Select Microsoft account.
    • Try logging in using Microsoft account and password.
    • Once you log into the system, try to change the PIN under accounts/sign-in page.
    • Select the Start
      Unable to log in using PIN or password - odd behavior [​IMG]
      button, then select
      Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.
    • Try to reset the PIN.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 14, 2021
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

Microsoft Account PIN and password

We appreciate the screenshot that you provided. to start troubleshooting the issue with you logins, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how login pin goes back to password:

• Click Start menu and go to Settings.
    • In Settings, click the Accounts icon.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Change both your password and pin one by one.
    Let us know how it goes.

Dyan Rey, Feb 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Unable to log in using PIN or password - odd behavior - Similar Threads - Unable log using

2. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd Windows 10 behaviors: Hello, Recently about 1 to 2 weeks my windows 10 has been acting weird : At start up, taskbar apps take a while to appear about 2-3 minutes, once appeared, apps that should start at startup begin to launchService Host : DCOM Server Process Launcher uses between 20-30% CPU and...
  3. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd Windows 10 behaviors: Hello, Recently about 1 to 2 weeks my windows 10 has been acting weird : At start up, taskbar apps take a while to appear about 2-3 minutes, once appeared, apps that should start at startup begin to launchService Host : DCOM Server Process Launcher uses between 20-30% CPU and...
  4. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unable to log into laptop with Windows password or Pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to log into laptop with Windows password or Pin: I came back from leave on wednesday just and tried to log into my laptop, i know the pin and password, but its not allowing me use either of them, i tried to change my password via my laptop for outlook, but this did not work, as its the same profile picture etc - i cannot...
  6. Couldnt log on using PIN or Password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Couldnt log on using PIN or Password: I leave my machine on 24/7 and was using it at lunch time, but came back to my machine about 7pm and the lock screen was active as it should be. I put my PIN in and nothing happened. Re-tried my PIN several times but couldnt log on so switched to password entry, put password...
  7. Odd login behavior

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Odd login behavior: I'm working on a customer's computer and encountered something I've never seen before. Recently she upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When she goes to type her login password the login executes when she hits the last keystroke of the password. She doesn't have to...
  8. Odd hard drive behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd hard drive behavior: Two days ago I defraged my primary hard drive before I went to bed. When I woke up the next day my laptop was on a black screen so I held the power button until it shut down. When I tried to boot it up I got a message saying no hard drive was found. After a while of searching...
  9. Odd internet behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd internet behavior: We recently had an upgrade to our DSL service from 3mbs to 25mbs which required the modem to be exchanged for a new one. Before the upgrade the internet was working as soon as the PC booted to the desktop. But now, once booted to desktop, it takes another 30 seconds before...
  10. Odd hard drive behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd hard drive behavior: I have one month old 1tb hybrid hard drive and yesterday I was experiencing issues with it. It started to run slower than usual. Games wouldn't load as quickly and when I first booted into windows the desktop icons appeared as blank pieces of paper. Then when I opened...