Windows 10: Unable to login after latest Windows update

Discus and support Unable to login after latest Windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Following last night’s update, I cannot login. When I try to login I have no option to put in my password, when there’s usually an option to do so only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ryebread98, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Unable to login after latest Windows update

Following last night’s update, I cannot login. When I try to login I have no option to put in my password, when there’s usually an option to do so only a Sign in, and it has me sign into my Microsoft account. When I login, it says something about setting up a Windows Hello pin keep in mind I already have a password and after I click next it says “Something went wrong”. No matter how many times I hit retry it’s the same thing, then when I try to skip it, my screen goes black for a second and it sends me back to the login screen. Essentially it’s stuck in a loop. I’ve tried entering Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and deleting the NGC folder, uninstalling the update, etc to no avail. My final option is a system reset but I would like to avoid that. I figure it’s a longshot but is there any clear cut solution to this?

:)

Ryebread98, Jan 15, 2021

2. Unable to login to the PC after updating to Windows 10 1903 update

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while logging in to the PC after installing the latest Windows update. I appreciate your time and effort in trying to resolve the issue by performing certain steps to login.

To understand the issue better, please respond to the questions below:

1. Is the PC connected to university network/domain network?
    2. Is the computer connected to the internet while you are trying to login to your computer?

If you are not connected to internet, please connect an Ethernet cable to the PC and then try logging.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Try booting the PC in to safe mode and check if you are able to login. Refer the article

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

If the issue persists, please try the next method.

Method 2:

Since you are unable to login, I would suggest you to try rolling back the update and check. Refer the section
    Go back to your previous version of Windows in the article
    Recovery options in Windows 10

In addition, you can also try resetting the password for the university account and check if you are able to login. In order to reset the password please get in touch with the university.

If the issue persist, please get back to us with the result of troubleshooting steps to assist you further with the issue.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 15, 2021
  3. cwo1960 Win User
    Cannot login to windows 10 after update! PLEASE HELP!

Thank you for the advice on enabling the administrator account. I follow all the steps and enabled the administrator account but I am still unable to log in. I am attaching 2 photos of the screens I am able to see at boot up.
    Unable to login after latest Windows update [​IMG]

Unable to login after latest Windows update [​IMG]

I have no way to choose which account to log in with.
    Any other ideas or suggestion?
    Thanks

cwo1960, Jan 15, 2021
  4. Unable to login after latest Windows update

Unable to login after windows 10 update

Hello Nilsen,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Regret the inconvenience you have experienced.

Which Windows Update are you referring to?

Is it Cumulative Update?

Suggest you to try with the below mentioned troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Suggest you try booting your system in Safe Mode and see if it works.

• Restart your PC. When you reach the
      sign-in screen, hold the Shift key and select the
      Power button, and then select Restart.

• After your PC restarts, select
      Troubleshoot > Advanced options >Startup settings > Restart. After your PC restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking.

• When you're on to the
      Safe Mode,
      try to uninstall the Windows Update which you're referring to and see if it works.

To uninstall an unwanted Windows Update:

• Type “View Installed Updates” in the Search box and then click on View Installed Updates – Control Panel from the Search results.
    • To uninstall the unwanted update, select it from the list and then click
      Uninstall. Restart and boot into normal mode to see if it works.
    Method 2:

If you still unable to login, then try with the below steps.

• Restart your PC. When you reach the sign-in screen, hold the
      Shift key and select the Power button, and then select
      Restart.

• After your PC restarts, select
      Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore.

• Select the restore point created prior to this problem and follow the on-screen instructions to restore your PC to earlier point of time.

• Now try to boot your PC into normal mode and see if it works.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jan 15, 2021
Thema:

Unable to login after latest Windows update

1. Unable to login after latest Windows update - Similar Threads - Unable login latest

2. Cannot Login To Laptop After Latest Windows 10 Update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Login To Laptop After Latest Windows 10 Update: Hi all, basically, as the title says. My laptop had yet another several hour long update today and since it finished I can't login. At first I tried signing in the exact same way I have for about 3 years now only to be told my password wasn't correct. So I reset my password...
  3. Cannot Login To Laptop After Latest Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Login To Laptop After Latest Windows 10 Update: Hi all, basically, as the title says. My laptop had yet another several hour long update today and since it finished I can't login. At first I tried signing in the exact same way I have for about 3 years now only to be told my password wasn't correct. So I reset my password...
  4. Unable to update latest windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to update latest windows: I am unable to install these updates. But if the commotion in the comments in here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbarsearch-bar-is-glitchyhas-problems-after/f5b15bd7-b248-46f4-894a-6b05ae3afa48 regarding how bad the update is, looks like the error...
  5. Unable to login after Windows updates

Unable to login after Windows updates: Since September when the Windows cumulative update installs i can no longer log into my local account which displays on the start up screen. As a workaround I uninstall the update and pause installs for 30 days. Once the automatic update comes back, boom I’m locked out....
  6. Unable to login Windows 10 after update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to login Windows 10 after update: Hello all, A few months ago I bought a new notebook. After the first few Windows updates, I experienced problems, such as a BSoD, after which I reverted these updates. Yesterday, I decided to give the updates another chance and let Windows Update install them. Immediately...
  7. Unable to login after windows update.

Unable to login after windows update.: Unable to login after windows update. Have tried safe start, system restore does not have my last created point, only the one on the day of the update. I have tried reset but it fails. We have two family members only. One can sign in one cannot....
  8. Difficulty to login after latest Windows 10 update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Difficulty to login after latest Windows 10 update: Since the last windows 10 update on 10 Oct 2019 - I'm using windows version 1903 - I am having difficulty to login. After boot, I hit the space bar to bring up the login screen and then enter my login password and hit enter - only one black dot is shown in the login entry...
  9. Unable to print after latest Windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to print after latest Windows update: Curtailed printer access seems to be a common problem, from what I see on the forums. Here is my situation: Lenovo desktop running Windows 10; HP OfficeJet Pro 6968; all Lenovo operating software and drivers up-to-date as of today; all HP drivers up-to-date as of today....
  10. Unable to boot the PC after latest Windows Update.

Unable to boot the PC after latest Windows Update.: [IMG]n Every option brings me back here, because it can't troublshoot properly. ***Modified title from: Latest windows update doesn't seem to work. ***...