Windows 10: Unable to login to Windows 10 after changing username

Discus and support Unable to login to Windows 10 after changing username in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi I changed one of my staff members user account name as they started using a previous employees PC. This is for a local user account. There is only... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Meziter, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Meziter Win User

Unable to login to Windows 10 after changing username

Hi

I changed one of my staff members user account name as they started using a previous employees PC. This is for a local user account. There is only one account on the PC which has administrator rights.

I followed the following process to change the username.

- Go to control panel

- Click on User Accounts

- Click on change your account name

- Entered a new name and clicked on change name

- Then went to settings

- Sign in options

- Password

- Tried to change the password but id did not accept the old password or blank password

We just left it a at that.

Then when the staff member turned on there PC he next morning it shows the new Username but does not accept the old password of the previous username or a blank password.

Tried to login in safe mode, that did not work.

Tried to do a system restore but it shows the user account name and asks for a password we don't have.

Tried to get to the command prompt but it again gives the username and asks for a password.

Can you advise what can be done.

Thanks

:)

Meziter, Apr 9, 2020
  2. Labsyboy Win User

How to change list of clickable usernames on login screen?

Hi,

customer has Ad domain with a lot of Windows 10 pro workstations. Users are frequently changing at same workstation and it is kinda annoying that Windows 10 login screen displays only 2 usernames on bottom left corner:

- <Last loged in user>

- Other user

Is it possible somehow to edit and set the list of usernames displayed there, to be, for example, list of 4 specific users?

Labsyboy, Apr 9, 2020
  3. philc43 Win User
    Change username - result: two login accounts, delete 1 unable to login

Microsoft does indeed pick the first 5 characters of your email address when setting up a new Microsoft Account login. If you create a local account first you can specify the username you want and then change it to a Microsoft account later. In that way you will keep your original [AccountName] for the user folder.

Changing the [AccountName] is very difficult, I am not sure what you did in step 3 of your post but that is most certainly where things started to go wrong.

I hope I have understood your question properly.

philc43, Apr 9, 2020
  4. Unable to login to Windows 10 after changing username

Change the username in Windows 10 login screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern, as you are looking for an option to change the name on the welcome screen for the PC that is used by your husband.

In that scenario, ask your husband to create a Microsoft account with his details and then ask him to login to the PC and perform these steps.

1. Press Windows + I key from the keyboard, to launch
      Windows Settings.
    2. Select Accounts and click on
      Your info
      from the left pane.
    3. Click on Sign in with a local account instead and follow the onscreen steps.
    4. Once the user account converted to a
      local account perform step 1 & 2.
    5. Click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead and use the Microsoft account created by your husband.

As an Additional reference: Create a local user or administrator
    account in Windows 10

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 9, 2020
Thema:

Unable to login to Windows 10 after changing username

1. Unable to login to Windows 10 after changing username - Similar Threads - Unable login changing

2. Unable to change username

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change username: I have a PC laptop and also use Parallels on an iMac, both with Windows 10. I want both usernames to be the same so that the path will be the same for a program I move back and forth on both computers. I'm talking about the username in File Explorer under C...
  3. Unable to change username

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change username: I have a PC laptop and also use Parallels on an iMac, both with Windows 10. I want both usernames to be the same so that the path will be the same for a program I move back and forth on both computers. I'm talking about the username in File Explorer under C...
  4. Unable to change username

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Username changed on login to Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Username changed on login to Windows 10: When you first boot your system. You see your picture with your username below and are prompted for a pin. Somehow my user name has been changed to Customer Service. Everything is working fine but instead of my usual username I get "Customer Service". I have also been told...
  6. Username login

Username login: When I first received my laptop, I linked my old microsoft account. Months ago, I deleted it because I saw no use in it, but replaced it with my school email instead. Recently, I tried installing an app from the store but I needed to create a new account because my school...
  7. Unable to use Fingerprint after changing Domain username

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to use Fingerprint after changing Domain username: I'm the network administrator on our company domain, and I've recently had to change my domain username due to a naming convention change. Windows 10 on my laptop (ver 1903 build 18362.356) now no longer lets me login using the fingerprints previously set up in Windows...
  8. Change the username in Windows 10 login screen

Change the username in Windows 10 login screen: I have one microsoft account, only me on two computers. My husband has his computer with my account on it. How can I change his welcome page as it says my name, not his. ***Original Title: MSN welcome greeting name***...
  9. Unable to change username in User since reinstallation of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to change username in User since reinstallation of Windows 10: I recently purchased a new laptop running Windows 10 professional. Due to the TWINUI issue I am encountering I thought to reinstall Windows to see if the problem is resolved (it did not, but I will post a separate question for this). When HP did the reinstallation, they set...
  10. Change username - result: two login accounts, delete 1 unable to login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change username - result: two login accounts, delete 1 unable to login: - Did a reset of Windows 10 on a virtual machine - The default account name is then the first 5 characters of my email account - I changed that to my real name - Rebooted - I was then offered 2 login accounts - logged in using my real name - went into account...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i cant login after change username in Windows 10