Windows 10: Unable to login windows 10 via smartcard

Discus and support Unable to login windows 10 via smartcard in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello All, can someone help/confirm if you come across the below issue with smartcard authentication? when try to login in windows 10 by smart... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by sreethiru_86, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Unable to login windows 10 via smartcard

Hello All,

can someone help/confirm if you come across the below issue with smartcard authentication?

when try to login in windows 10 by smart card, it says " The domain specified is not available. please try again later"

We did increase logon cache from 3 to 10, but it did not help.

Any leads/ suggestions? please

:)

sreethiru_86, Mar 2, 2021
  2. xy677 Win User

Smartcard login

Hi All

I have started to use a Smartcard to login to my Windows 10 Education machine. Logging in works fine but the one annoying problem I have is that when I boot up the machine and am at the login screen it ALWAYS defaults to using a password login. This even happens after successfully logging in with the Smartcard. ie: it doesn't "remember" that I last used a Smart card to login.

Is there a way to set the Smartcard as the default login? I still want the password login to be an option but I always want the Smartcard to be the default.

Basically, I want to turn the machine on and to then be presented with a PIN entry screen to login with my Smart card. (I'm the only person that uses this machine)

Currently I have to ALWAYS change from a password login by selecting the Smartcard on the logon screen and only then can I enter the PIN.

I also have to change from a password logon to a Smartcard logon even if I have just locked my machine!

So, is there a way I can set Windows 10 to ALWAYS default to using a Smartcard login?

I have clients that use Smartcards with Windows 7 and it always remembers the last logon type. Can Windows 10 do this as well?

For those interested I am using the following to use a Smartcard on a workgroup machine:

My Smart Logon - My Smart Logon

xy677, Mar 2, 2021
  3. Thanatica Win User
    Smartcard login

My new laptop, a Thinkpad T480s has a smartcard reader and is shipped with Window 10 Pro. How can I use the smartcard reader to log into Windows using a smartcard?

I'm not really interested in all kinds of technical stuff about smartcards, I'm just a home user and I have a smartcard reader and several smartcards that might be usable. Simple as that. I don't need filesystem encryption for now either.

I see it as just logging in with an alternative input - not unlike fingerprint login really.

But instead of fingerprint, I want to use smartcard.

How to do it?

Thanatica, Mar 2, 2021
  4. mvalpreda Win User

Unable to login windows 10 via smartcard

Contactless smartcards for login?

In Windows 8/8.1 I could enroll a touchless smartcard and use it for a login. I am not seeing a way to enroll those in Windows 10. Anyone have any idea where that might be?

Dell Latitude E7470 with fingerprint and both contact and contactless smartcard reader

mvalpreda, Mar 2, 2021
Thema:

Unable to login windows 10 via smartcard

1. Unable to login windows 10 via smartcard - Similar Threads - Unable login via

2. Unable to login via PIN

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to login via PIN: Hello community! I am suddenly unable to login using my PIN. I have tried to reset it but it keeps on failing. Any help is appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-login-via-pin/b0ceaf03-c07a-4f20-b44b-a17ae26ae6e3
  3. Unable to login via PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to login via PIN: Hello community! I am suddenly unable to login using my PIN. I have tried to reset it but it keeps on failing. Any help is appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-login-via-pin/b0ceaf03-c07a-4f20-b44b-a17ae26ae6e3
  4. Unable to login via PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to login via email address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to login via email address: I'm trying to login to my laptop via my email address but its advising the password is incorrect. I have reset the password and can access it on my other devices. When I access my Microsoft account on another device and check my sign in activity it indicates I've had a...
  6. Unable to login via email address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to login via email address: I'm trying to login to my laptop via my email address but its advising the password is incorrect. I have reset the password and can access it on my other devices. When I access my Microsoft account on another device and check my sign in activity it indicates I've had a...
  7. Changing Placeholder text in Windows 10 login SmartCard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Placeholder text in Windows 10 login SmartCard: I'm looking to change the text in this box for all users and its when using a smart card. Users enter their smart card to log in and the screen changes with two boxes, one labeled PIN and the second box Username Hint. Pretty sure I'll need to get deep into RegEdit for this...
  8. Dell Precision 3520 and Smartcard Login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dell Precision 3520 and Smartcard Login: I have a Dell Precision 3520 with a FIPS-compliant fingerprint reader and smartcard reader built-in. I'm currently using the Dell security software to manage this. Has anyone used Windows to set up a smartcard login and set it up so that as soon as the smartcard is...
  9. Contactless smartcards for login?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Contactless smartcards for login?: In Windows 8/8.1 I could enroll a touchless smartcard and use it for a login. I am not seeing a way to enroll those in Windows 10. Anyone have any idea where that might be? Dell Latitude E7470 with fingerprint and both contact and contactless smartcard reader 49168
  10. Smartcard login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Smartcard login: Hi All I have started to use a Smartcard to login to my Windows 10 Education machine. Logging in works fine but the one annoying problem I have is that when I boot up the machine and am at the login screen it ALWAYS defaults to using a password login. This even happens...