Windows 10: unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it

Discus and support unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am unable to make a new folder in file explorer and then rename it. This happened in Windows 10 and is still happening after I installed Windows 11.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Don Turner2, Nov 2, 2022.

1. unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it

I am unable to make a new folder in file explorer and then rename it. This happened in Windows 10 and is still happening after I installed Windows 11. I make a new folder and it shows up normally as 'New Folder" . When I try to rename it, it jumps to some other existing folder and waits for me to rename the other folder - but not the New Folder I just created. I'm worried that some file pointers are corrupted and I could lose all my data.I have an LG Laptop DESKTOP-E1UH2C3 Processor 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHzWindows 11 Home 22H2 but problem occurred on Win

:)

Don Turner2, Nov 2, 2022

2. File Explorer unable to rename folders after installing updates

I have had this "unable to rename folders" problem happen several times over the years after applying Windows Updates to my system (Win 8.1). There are fixes published on the Web, usually involving modifying registry entries and sometimes they work, sometimes
    they don't. Microsoft knows this problem happens, it has been reported to them many times over the years.

My long-winded solution to this problem is to always create a restore point before allowing Windows Update to run. Install the suggested updates one or two at a time, making note of which ones you are choosing to install and then test for the "file or folder
    does not exist" problem after rebooting and logging in. If it does happen, rewind to the restore point and try some more of the suggested updates. If the problem does not occur after an update, create a new restore point and then try some of the other updates.
    Step and repeat until only "bad" updates are left uninstalled, and then don't install them.

Update: I have just had this "unable to rename folders" problem happen to me after running Windows Update today (June 19, 2017). I have found that I can change folder names using other programs such as "Bulk Rename Utility". The problem only appears in File
    Explorer.

RobertSneddon, Nov 2, 2022
  3. Unable to create a new folder or rename a folder

Hi Edver,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I'll certainly help you with this.

I would like to let you know that you may not be able to rename or add a new folder from Quick access. It will allow you to open the folders that are frequently used, recently viewed files or the files/folders that are added to
    Quick access.

If you are unable to create or rename files/folders in other folders as well, then I would suggest you to run a SFC scan.

System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Nov 2, 2022
  4. kevvyb Win User

unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it

Errors on creating, renaming, deleting folders in explorer

Thanks for that will get on it.

In meantime, the folder name, rename, delete issues and related error messages in part is just because windows explorer has suddenly started requiring a refresh for each step to show the new folder for renaming, then again after it has been renamed etc. So I have to keep hitting F5 for every step in the process including the moving of files from one folder to another. Is there a solution to that? That would be part of the probelm solved and I can then see if there are any remaining problems.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Tha bit has been solved by a restart of explorer. I will watch for any remaining issues and folow dalchina's advice should they still be present.

kevvyb, Nov 2, 2022
Thema:

unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it

1. unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it - Similar Threads - unable folder file

2. Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder in Windows File Explorer in all...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder in Windows File Explorer in all...: long path folder means more than 260 character longI have done these steps but issue is still exist:1. Check if long path names are enabled in the registry. You can do this by opening the Registry Editor regedit.exe and navigating to...
  3. Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder in Windows File Explorer in all...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder in Windows File Explorer in all...: long path folder means more than 260 character longI have done these steps but issue is still exist:1. Check if long path names are enabled in the registry. You can do this by opening the Registry Editor regedit.exe and navigating to...
  4. Unable to rename folder or file in a long path folder in Windows File Explorer in all...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  6. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  7. unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it

unable to make a folder in file explorer and rename it: I am unable to make a new folder in file explorer and then rename it. This happened in Windows 10 and is still happening after I installed Windows 11. I make a new folder and it shows up normally as 'New Folder" . When I try to rename it, it jumps to some other existing...
  8. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

File Explorer: System Folders Rename: Hello,Can someone help me how to remove this folder, it was "downloads" but it changed to "music".How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-system-folders-rename/6865b745-746d-4a69-9ae7-782d2906c01e
  9. Renaming folders makes files inaccessible

Renaming folders makes files inaccessible: I can create and rename files and folders, but whenever I change a folder name, any files within that folder become inaccessible. I get an error message that implies the computer is still looking for the file within the previous name of the folder. For example, if I had...
  10. Unable to rename files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to rename files and folders: I have a w10 Pro 64 bit PC and for whatever reason today this machine has decided it wont let me rename files or folders. I built this PC a few months back and it has been operating flawlessly, except now this. When I go to rename a file or folder I get "if you change a file...