Windows 10: Unable to make Dell monitor as Main display

Discus and support Unable to make Dell monitor as Main display in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a Dell monitor and a HDTV (720) connected to my Windows 10 computer. Dell is horizontal - DVI HDTV is vertical - HDMI When I turn on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AngryMK, Jul 5, 2019.

1. AngryMK Win User

Unable to make Dell monitor as Main display

I have a Dell monitor and a HDTV (720) connected to my Windows 10 computer.
    Dell is horizontal - DVI
    HDTV is vertical - HDMI
    When I turn on the computer and monitor is ON, Windows sees it as Display 1. Unfortunately when I turn on the TV, Windows assigns #1 to TV!!!! Rather than monitor, which is really infuriating . Even though my monitor is set as the "Main Display" When I try to change to clone displays Windows takes orders from the HDTV and tries to switch view on My main display from horizontal to vertical instead of forcing the TV to display horizontally on vertical screen.
    I know it might seem very odd, but I need this for my MAME dual screen setup. It used to work correctly on Windows 7 and even on Windows 10 , but at some point something got messed up.
    On top of that MAME won't load correctly. All versions hang when launched. Also because of the wrong order MAME was showing settings screen on wrong monitor when launched. All because of the wrong order. And I know it's not MAME but Windows, because MAME works just fine when only one screen is turned on. HDTV is mounted vertically, but I want it to display horizontally on Vertical panel in cloned mode. Mame can display both screens that way. On the Horizontal I can have game displayed horizontally and then on the vertical it will clone the same display but horizontally. So clearly it can be done and handled, just POS Windows refuses to do it right.
    What can I do? All I find is how to change the monitor I want to be the "Main Display" while I need the main display to be #1 not #2 and that I cannot change!

How does Windows allowing to take priority on 720 display!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!? It's absolutely ridiculous!

I have so many issues with displays and how Windows handles it it's not funny! Even my main computer I have 2 monitors, VR and HDTV connected and when I turn TV on it turns off VR and monitors for a moment and then jumbles applications and throws them all over the displays and of course COMPLETELY rearranges order of the displays. Again all of a sudden my #1 is no longer number 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***Modified title from: I NEED MY MAIN DISPLAY TO BE #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

:)

AngryMK, Jul 5, 2019
  2. L33_01 Win User

Unable to extend monitor display

Hi Jay Jap,

thanks again for your reply.

I checked the screen resolution settings through windows and then through the Nvidia graphics cards.

Windows detected both monitors but Nvidia settings didn't.

I downloaded and installed the Nvidia drivers again and it's working fine. Simple solution, not sure why I had to install the drivers again? But thanks for your help, your suggestion to check if the monitors were being detected prompted me that it had to
    be a graphics card issue.

L33_01, Jul 5, 2019
  3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Setting Up 3 Monitors on a Dell

Hi pmuldoon,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Community Forums.

You need to have a Port replicator depending on the model. Because some monitors supports 3 monitors and some needs to have port replicator to connect 3 monitors. However, I suggest you to follow the below steps, and check if that
    helps.

Method 1: Update drivers in Windows 10

I also suggest you to update the drivers, follow this article on

Update drivers in Windows 10
    , and check if that helps.

Method 2: Follow the Dell article on Multiple monitors.

I suggest you to follow the Dell article on Multiple monitors, follow the article on

How to Setup Multiple Monitors in Microsoft Windows 10
    , and let us know the results. You can also refer the article on configuring 3 displays, follow this article on

How to configure three (3) displays on a Dell Latitude Notebook with Intel HD 4x00 Graphics

We await your response.

Regards,

Mithin_EJ, Jul 5, 2019
  4. toddvargo Win User

Dell SE2416H Monitor Not working

After recent windows 10 update my Dell 2416H Monitor does not display - windows 10 using a generic driver says driver is up to date. I checked Dell website and there is no windows 10 driver for this monitor - any suggestions to get it to work?

toddvargo, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to make Dell monitor as Main display - Similar Threads - Unable Dell monitor

2. "Make this my main display" Bugging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Make this my main display" Bugging: I have 2 monitors, my laptop's and an external one. I set them to extend, and my laptop's monitor gets set to "main display" by itself. My cursor is stuck in my secondary display and it wont go to the other display. This happens only when I set it to extend. I am currently...
  3. "Make this my main display" Bugging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Make this my main display" Bugging: I have 2 monitors, my laptop's and an external one. I set them to extend, and my laptop's monitor gets set to "main display" by itself. My cursor is stuck in my secondary display and it wont go to the other display. This happens only when I set it to extend. I am currently...
  4. Display monitor totally equivallent on the main

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display monitor totally equivallent on the main: I got second monitor set up and it is totally equivallent on the main monitor. I am 84 years old and I dont know how to fix or adjust settings. Please provide some simple fix...
  5. Display monitor totally equivallent on the main

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display monitor totally equivallent on the main: I got second monitor set up and it is totally equivallent on the main monitor. I am 84 years old and I dont know how to fix or adjust settings. Please provide some simple fix...
  6. Cant make monitor main priorty.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Cant make monitor main priorty.: I have just installed a new graphics card:- GT710-SL-2GD5|Graphics Cards|ASUS Global I have my main PC monitor connected via VGA and my TV across the room with HDMI. The problem is that the TV shows the boot-up image first before my monitor, although its not a big issue it...
  7. Windows greyed out "Make this my main display" with dual monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows greyed out "Make this my main display" with dual monitors: Hello, I just started using dual monitors, but Windows reads my main display as Monitor 2 and my weaker one as Monitor 1. The option to make number 2 to my main display is greyed out, even with the monitor selected up top. It should be noted that I'm not using the actual copy...
  8. unchecking make this my main display

unchecking make this my main display: hello, I have 2 monitors ( 2nd one just set up), I noticed today that when I tried to open something on my main screen (1st one) it was opened on 2nd monitor, (note: it was not turned on). so I started trying to configure them so the screen that I wanted as main, would be...
  9. Can't make external monitor main display

Can't make external monitor main display: I have an Acer Aspire ES-15 Win 10 laptop and an external Hanns-G monitor which i would like to make the main display. I go to SETTINGS > DISPLAY and there is a tickbox that says "MAKE THIS MY MAIN DISPLAY" This is the option i want, however the tickbox is greyed out and i...
  10. Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop won't let me make external monitor main display: My Acer Aspire ES-15 Windows 10 laptop won't let me make my external monitor the main display. I can find the option, but the tickbox is greyed out. 98956