Windows 10: Unable to Map a network drive - a device attached to the system is not functioning

Discus and support Unable to Map a network drive - a device attached to the system is not functioning in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I am trying to map a network drive in Windows 10 but I keep getting the error 'a device attached to the system is not functioning'. Any hints... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AntonB(2), Sep 14, 2018.

1. AntonB(2) Win User

Unable to Map a network drive - a device attached to the system is not functioning

Hi

I am trying to map a network drive in Windows 10 but I keep getting the error 'a device attached to the system is not functioning'.

Any hints what may cause this issue?

Regards

Anton

:)

AntonB(2), Sep 14, 2018

2. Unable to disconnect from mapped network drive

I receive the following error when I try to disconnect from a self mapped network drive: "network connection does not exist"

The network drive icon appears with a bid red x and says it is disconnected, yet I can double click on it to enter the mapped folder. Doing this does not reconnect the folder, and remains disconnected. This causes problems because programs that pointed
    to this path are unable to read the files. I am unable to remap this drive because the associated drive letter (EUnable to Map a network drive - a device attached to the system is not functioning :) and mapping no longer shows up in the list.

I've tried all the typical suggestions including:

--I tried to do it via the command prompt with the net use delete command, but it can't be found in there.

--Tried to above with the actual network path instead of the drive letter, did not work

--Tried to delete the registry entries from:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

HKEY_USERS\. Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Mountpoint2\

None of these solutions worked. Though deleting the registry entries momentarily hid the disconnected drive, the drive letter was still not available for mapping. I tried to force the drive letter (EUnable to Map a network drive - a device attached to the system is not functioning :) to map to my optical drive, which worryingly, pointed
    back to the mapped network location on the NAS instead of to the optical drive.

How do I get rid of this? Reformatting the computer is not an option.

RMI_Howard, Sep 14, 2018
  3. Cannot Map a Network Drive

Good morning UGO

I am very sorry but your latest suggestion did not work and I have gone through both suggestions to make sure I did it correctly.

Today I decided to attach my old LG NAS drive to check if it was the WD giving problem and both drives don't show under File Explorer - Network. I can still map a drive letter by typing in the path \\WD-NAS\Public but with the LG-NAS I get an error:

The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:

Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747.

This drive was working last year as I use it to take a 6 monthly full backup of our music and store off site. Both drives can be accessed through their login page at the respective IP address but only the LG-NAS (the backup device) is showing up on the client
    list on the TP-Link VR600 V2 modem router. Additionally our Sonos system can play music from the WD and the TV shows the LG Media Server so both drives are attached to the network, neither is accessible through File Explorer and the WD can play media

I appreciate your time trying to help me as I am now totally reliant on your help.

Thanks

Malcolm

Malcolmv24, Sep 14, 2018
  4. Unable to Map a network drive - a device attached to the system is not functioning

Error: Unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup Aborted Error 31: The device attached to the system is not functioning

I tried all steps given by helpfull comments none of them worked and i told you i dont have the access is denied error i have this one : Error: Unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup Aborted Error 31: The device attached to the system
    is not functioning

HassanIbrar, Sep 14, 2018
Thema:

Unable to Map a network drive - a device attached to the system is not functioning

1. Unable to Map a network drive - a device attached to the system is not functioning - Similar Threads - Unable Map network

2. Network Folder connection error : "A device attached to the system is not functioning"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Folder connection error : "A device attached to the system is not functioning": Hi All,since few weeks We're having issue to connect to network folder like \\xyq-xxx-xxx\ , when trying to connect user receive the error "a device attached to the system is not functioning".We have tried to :Connect using FQDN, adding domain on the folder nameConnect using...
  3. Network Folder connection error : "A device attached to the system is not functioning"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Folder connection error : "A device attached to the system is not functioning": Hi All,since few weeks We're having issue to connect to network folder like \\xyq-xxx-xxx\ , when trying to connect user receive the error "a device attached to the system is not functioning".We have tried to :Connect using FQDN, adding domain on the folder nameConnect using...
  4. Network Folder connection error : "A device attached to the system is not functioning"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. A device attached to the system is not functioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A device attached to the system is not functioning: Hello:Can somebody help me with this message:"a device attached to the system is not functioning"I downloaded a tax software but when tried to install it that message appears.Thanks,Hiram...
  6. A device attached to the system is not functioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A device attached to the system is not functioning: Hello:Can somebody help me with this message:"a device attached to the system is not functioning"I downloaded a tax software but when tried to install it that message appears.Thanks,Hiram...
  7. A device attached to the system is not functioning.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A device attached to the system is not functioning.: Code: C:\Windows\System32>powercfg /h /type full A device attached to the system is not functioning. Help? Edit: I get Code: Your power plan information isn't available. Why can't Windows retrieve this information? in Code: Power Options -> Choose what the power buttons do...
  8. A device attached to system is not functioning

in Windows 10 Customization
    A device attached to system is not functioning: [IMG] I dont know how happend but i cant open systems app and i cant disable network too [ATTACH] and another error happend when i want open device manager this error come Why ? My laptop is lenovo g510 Core i3 Amd r5 m230...
  9. A device attached to the system is not functioning

in Windows 10 News
    A device attached to the system is not functioning: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you receive this error message A device attached to the system is not functioning, here are a few things you may try. It is quite possible that the attached device is not working for one of these reasons. The device [...] This post A device attached to...
  10. One Drive Failing (A Device Attached to the System is not Functioning)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    One Drive Failing (A Device Attached to the System is not Functioning): I intermittently get failures of OneDrive with the message "A device attached to the system is not functioning." I've tried resetting it, but that doesn't work. So, this means that I randomly lose access to my documents / pictures etc. Please help get this fixed....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. map network drive attached device not functioning

2. map network drive a device attached to the system is not functioning

3. mybookworld the mapped network drive could not be created

4. the mapped network could not be created because of the following error has occurred An extended error has occurred,
  5. the mapped network drive could not be created a device attached to the system is not functioning,
  6. the mapped network drive could not be created because a device attached to the system is not functioning,
  7. Device attached to the system is not functioning error while mapping a drive,
  8. the mapped network drive could not be created device attached to the system is not functioning,
  9. windows map network drive fails deive attached to system is failing,
  10. mapped drive could not be connected because device attached to system is not functioning,
  11. a device attached to system not functioning when mapping drive,
  12. the mapped network drive could not be created because a device attached to the system is not functioning error,
  13. windows a device attached to the system is not working,
  14. a device attached to system not functioning mapped drive,
  15. mapped network drive device attached to system windows 10