Windows 10: Unable to map NAS on router

Discus and support Unable to map NAS on router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello my first post with a problem that should be simple. I am not very network savvy. Two HDDs attached to a TP link Archer C9 router. A newly built... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Machinist60, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Unable to map NAS on router

Hello my first post with a problem that should be simple. I am not very network savvy.
    Two HDDs attached to a TP link Archer C9 router. A newly built desktop running Win 10 Pro v 1909 build 18363.592. My old, now failed win 7 PC mapped to the drives easily.
    I have followed the steps in How to map a network drive in Windows 10 | TechRadar I believe correctly. I cannot get the two drives to show up when I try to map. Browse only shows this PC// and windows cannot access //192.168.1.1.
    Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

:)

Machinist60, Feb 11, 2020
  2. adisid Win User

Unable to map NAS drive

I have a NAS drive (WD My Cloud Mirror) that was originally set up and mapped to an older laptop of mine. I have not used this NAS drive in a while. I recently dusted off the drive and tried to connect it to my new laptop when I ran into difficulties.

The NAS drive is directly connected via ethernet cable to my laptop.

Laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise 1809.

Laptop's IP address on the ethernet card is set to 192.168.1.1

I was able to retrieve the IP address of the WD NAS drive by using the arp command and it's set to 192.168.1.2

I have forgotten the name of the root share folder on the NAS drive.

The problem:

I am unable to map the NAS drive to my laptop. When I try to click on Network in Windows Explorer OR use the Map Network Drive option, I get a "Network Discovery is turned off" error.

To enable Network Discovery, I turned on / enabled all of the below

1. In Advanced Network Sharing, network discovery is turned on for Private, Public, Domain and All Networks

2. DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host sevices are running

3. Network Discovery is checked in Windows Defender

4. Ran the following command as administrator netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”Network Discovery” new enable=Yes

In spite of this I get the "Network Discovery is turned off' error.

I am able to ping 192.168.1.2 in the command prompt and get a response.

Any suggestions on how to fix the error OR another way to access the NAS drive would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adi.

adisid, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Unable to map NAS drive

Make sure the function discovery services are running:

Unable to map NAS on router [​IMG]

storageman, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Peters48 Win User

Unable to map NAS on router

RPC error: cannot connect to NAS drive

Since upgrading from Win7(64) to Win10(64), I have been unable to connect to my NAS drive (\\NET_DRIVE). While I can see the drive in windows for mapping a drive, File Explorer and Network Sharing, when I try to map the drive, I get the following error:
    \\NET_DRIVE is not accessible.... A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred.

• The NAS drive is connected to my WiFi router, not to a remote computer.
    • The user profile I'm using has administrative rights
    • This problem did not occur when running Windows 7. It started when I upgraded to Windows 10
    How can I fix this so I can access my NAS drive?

Peters48, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Unable to map NAS on router

1. Unable to map NAS on router - Similar Threads - Unable map NAS

2. NAS - failed to map newtork drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NAS - failed to map newtork drive: Running W10 Pro - 21H1I have a D-Link DSN-323 2 bay NAS storage deviceConnected by ethernet to my home hub, I use it for backups.It maps the 2 x 1 TB drives as volume Y & Z this was achieved using the 'easy connect utility'Went to add backups last week and both Y&Z did not...
  3. NAS - failed to map newtork drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NAS - failed to map newtork drive: Running W10 Pro - 21H1I have a D-Link DSN-323 2 bay NAS storage deviceConnected by ethernet to my home hub, I use it for backups.It maps the 2 x 1 TB drives as volume Y & Z this was achieved using the 'easy connect utility'Went to add backups last week and both Y&Z did not...
  4. NAS - failed to map newtork drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can't write to NAS - Linksys router

Can't write to NAS - Linksys router: If I plug in my 2 NAS drives via USB to my laptop I have full permissions to read/write. However, if I hook them up via USB to my Linksys router, I can no longer write to the drives. I've beaten my head against the wall for months, just letting it go and not fixing it but...
  6. Unable to map NAS on router

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to map NAS on router: Hello my first post with a problem that should be simple. I am not very network savvy. Two HDDs attached to a TP link Archer C9 router. A newly built desktop running Win 10 Pro v 1909 build 18363.592. My old, now failed win 7 PC mapped to the drives easily. I have followed...
  7. Map NAS Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Map NAS Drive: I just purchased a new computer and would like to map my NAS drive. I was able to do this with my old computer but for some reason, the NAS does not show up as a computer on the new one. I can see the NAS drive as a media and other device but cannot map the drive from here....
  8. Unable to map NAS drive

Unable to map NAS drive: I have a NAS drive (WD My Cloud Mirror) that was originally set up and mapped to an older laptop of mine. I have not used this NAS drive in a while. I recently dusted off the drive and tried to connect it to my new laptop when I ran into difficulties. The NAS drive is...
  9. Setting up NAS on Linksys router

Setting up NAS on Linksys router: Just recently replaced my old Linksys EA6400 router with a new EA8300 router, and going through the config screens, I saw one where I could set up a NAS using a USB stick. So, I inserted a 64GB USB3 stick into the router, formatted it, and created folders on it. The Linksys...
  10. Password is incorrect on mapped NAS folder

Password is incorrect on mapped NAS folder: So, as of this week after the latest updates from Windows 10 I no longer can access a NAS mapped folder from both Windows 10 updated machines. When accessing the mapped folder it states: "password is not correct". Tried to logon with IP-address, i.e. \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\user...