Windows 10: Unable to migrate my operating system to another drive.

Discus and support Unable to migrate my operating system to another drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, so in the last week I've been having troubles with my C: SSD drive which I've had since I got the Computer back in December 2013 following a car... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Viperious97, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Unable to migrate my operating system to another drive.

Hi, so in the last week I've been having troubles with my C: SSD drive which I've had since I got the Computer back in December 2013 following a car accident. After problems with booting which ended in a chkdsk in the recovery screen, it was discovered that there were a few segments in the SSD that weren't working, and it failed to complete the chkdsk due to an unknown error, but afterwards I was able to boot properly. I have been told that my SSD is now a ticking time bomb and it's only going to get worse very quickly, so I need to switch to another drive, which isn't a problem since my SSD only has 224gb of space and my F: Drive has 1tbh of space but 300gb free, so I shrunk the volume and now have 244gb of unnalocated space on my HDD, but when I try to migrate the OS to the other drive, it says there is not enough unnalocated space and will have to format the other 687gb partition which is my F: drive, which has all of my stuff on it. How can I transfer Windows and my C: drive to the unalocated space on my HDD without formating 650gb worth of data?

Screenshot provided

Unable to migrate my operating system to another drive. 06f92204-920a-4579-81da-c7a40c922cf3?upload=true.png

:)

Viperious97, Sep 25, 2019

2. Error: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system"

Hi Stephen,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system. Now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

Do let us know if you are able to see Windows 7/ Windows 10 operating system while rebooting the device?

As you are unable to boot the operating system, this issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot rec by following the below commands and check if it helps.
    You will have to use Windows 10/7 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    operating system using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 10:
    Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 7: Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10/7 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
    • bootrec /fixmbr

• bootrec /fixboot

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of booting the operating system for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 25, 2019
  3. need list of usb bootable Operating Systems

I am looking for a good list of operating systems you can run from a usb or dvd.

If not a list, then folks can just post their top picks.

I want these to run from the usb/dvd without installing on the system or getting in the way of the system that exists on the hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

John Phoenix, Sep 25, 2019
  4. Unable to migrate my operating system to another drive.

USB Drive showing "Not Migrated" in Device manager

Forgot this one on the list, my bad

Yes, I have tried the steps above and it did not resolve the issue.

My pen drive is still showing "not migrated"

Any further help would be appreciated, thanks!

Matthew 'DoubleRainbow'Walker, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

Unable to migrate my operating system to another drive.

1. Unable to migrate my operating system to another drive. - Similar Threads - Unable migrate operating

2. Operating System on D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Operating System on D drive: I somehow partitioned the drive and now all files are on D:. Of course the laptop won't boot up.Can I merely copy all files from D: to C: and delete D? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system-on-d-drive/bc606cfb-d323-4662-bdde-e011a75d8209
  3. Migrate one windows drive to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate one windows drive to another?: Hello,I had a problem after tyring to install Ubuntu and I kinda screwed some things up, so my Windows 10 wouldnt boot, luckily I had a drive with nothing important on it so I installed Windows 10 on it, and I am currently using it. But I want my old drive back or at least...
  4. Migrate one windows drive to another?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrate one windows drive to another?: Hello,I had a problem after tyring to install Ubuntu and I kinda screwed some things up, so my Windows 10 wouldnt boot, luckily I had a drive with nothing important on it so I installed Windows 10 on it, and I am currently using it. But I want my old drive back or at least...
  5. Migrate one windows drive to another?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Operating System Migration?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Operating System Migration?: The hard drive that contains my operating system is very old and becomes hot to touch after a time. I need to transfer my operating system to another drive. The last version of windows that I purchased was Vista. Through countless upgrades I now utilize Windows 10 Pro. I...
  7. Is it possible to migrate System Reserved partition to another drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to migrate System Reserved partition to another drive?: So my issue is that Windows 10 won't boot unless I have a secondary drive connected to my PC, which has the System Reserved partition for some reason. Windows is on my C drive, the G drive has this partition that's needed. Apparently this happens if you install Windows 10 and...
  8. migrate everything to another operating system

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    migrate everything to another operating system: I want to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise from Windows 10 home and keep all of my data and preferences (on a single drive), will this be possible? submitted by /u/No-denied [link] [comments]...
  9. Put my operating system on the wrong drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Put my operating system on the wrong drive.: I recently upgraded windows 10 on my pc and thought I had to put it on my HDD. Is there any way for me to migrate just the os system to a smaller SSD or am I better to just do a clean install on the SSD and start from scratch again on my HDD?...
  10. Operating system migration

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Operating system migration: Good morning, I called on the Microsoft community to ask you for an opinion on migrating the operating system (Windows 10 Pro) from one SSD to another SSD without operating system installation (Windows 10 Pro). I am waiting for an answer from you in this regard !!! Thank...