Windows 10: Unable to mount file/folder backups in Windows Explorer

Discus and support Unable to mount file/folder backups in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am unable to mount file/folder backups in Windows Explorer I eventually get the error '[drive letter]:\ is not accessible. The parameter is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by robgr, Dec 8, 2019.

1. robgr Win User

Unable to mount file/folder backups in Windows Explorer

I am unable to mount file/folder backups in Windows Explorer
    I eventually get the error '[drive letter]:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect'
    The backup can be seen in Win Explorer and has been assigned a drive letter but if selected it returns the above error
    I have the issue with two file backups on two different external drives
    Both of the backups are of two different network locations
    However, I can mount and browse the two file backups if I boot into Win PE
    Broadly speaking I can mount disk images OK (albeit I seem to have to mount from a full image for one particular part which is on the same disk as another part that mounts from an incremental OK else I get the same above error!?)
    Firstly, what is the issue here?
    Secondly, should I be worried about restoring to a newtork location?
    I'm on Win 10 19033.1 & Reflect 7.2.4557
    I've reinstalled Reflect and uninstalled QTabBar so far to no avail

:)

robgr, Dec 8, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 8, 2019
  3. Unable to Mount ISO file in Windows Explorer

Please note : I am able to open the ISO with other programs (Winrar, 7zip, etc)

I am desperate, looking for help. I have scoured the web far and wide and cannot find a solution to my issue and I refuse to believe that reformatting my PC is the only way to fix this issue.

My issue is, I want to be able to mount iso files (and have been able to do so in the past) with windows explorer. I get the "mount" option when i right click, but when I select it, or select to open the file through windows explorer, I get an error that reads " Sorry, there was a problem mounting the file"

Unable to mount file/folder backups in Windows Explorer [​IMG]

I have Windows 10 Home x64

I have tried;

copying the file to another drive(its currently in "D:/backup.iso" (My C: drive is my windows install drive). I get the same error as above no matter where i copy it (ctrl+c while the iso is selected, ctrl+v somewhere else)

checking file permissions and read status

Changing (and checking) the sparse flag in a elevated command prompt
    "fsutil sparse setflag {PathToISO} 0"

Running "sfc /scannow" in a elevated command prompt (no errors returned)

Checking to see if there was already a mounted drive/file(there isn't)

changing the default file extension app, but the .iso file type isn't even listed.

This led me to believe there was a incorrect registry entry(s). I thought the only entry I needed to worry about was in "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso", but it seems like the entries there are correct, and there are hundreds more entries that came up in search related to the string ".iso". Here are a few entries i thought relevant.

I apologize for the long post. There seems to be no end to this. I know I can just open the file with Winrar, but I want to be able to open the file in explorer like i have been able to do in the past, (albeit a while ago). I am truly at my wits end here.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

forkinator, Dec 8, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Error when mounting ISO files

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand when you are trying to delete/rename/move the ISO files after mounting it you get an error message. It could be possible that the ISO file is mounted and that is the reason you are unable to modify it.

I suggest you to eject the ISO file and then try to modify it. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + E, to open
      File Explorer
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane, you will find the mounted ISO file.
    3. Right click on the ISO file and click on Eject. Try modifying the ISO file now.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to mount file/folder backups in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Unable mount file

2. BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer: Following recent updates on Windows 10 on both my PC And Laptop I am no longer able to see all the files on my external hard drive. It is a WD My Cloud and File Explorer now only shows Music, Photos and Videos and not the Smartware folder containg my backups. The folder is...
  3. BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer: Following recent updates on Windows 10 on both my PC And Laptop I am no longer able to see all the files on my external hard drive. It is a WD My Cloud and File Explorer now only shows Music, Photos and Videos and not the Smartware folder containg my backups. The folder is...
  4. BAckup folders not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 , mount .vmdk with File explore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 , mount .vmdk with File explore: Hello everyone I have installed windows 11 enterprise version on my workstation, and I have noticed that the option to mount .vmdk files with file explorer is missing from the right-click options.Does anyone know if there is an update from Microsoft about this? Has this...
  6. Windows 11 , mount .vmdk with File explore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 , mount .vmdk with File explore: Hello everyone I have installed windows 11 enterprise version on my workstation, and I have noticed that the option to mount .vmdk files with file explorer is missing from the right-click options.Does anyone know if there is an update from Microsoft about this? Has this...
  7. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  8. Unable to Mount ISO file in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Unable to Mount ISO file in Windows Explorer: Please note : I am able to open the ISO with other programs (Winrar, 7zip, etc) I am desperate, looking for help. I have scoured the web far and wide and cannot find a solution to my issue and I refuse to believe that reformatting my PC is the only way to fix this issue....
  9. Unable to Mount ISO file in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Mount ISO file in Windows Explorer: Please note : I am able to open the ISO with other programs (Winrar, 7zip, etc) I am desperate, looking for help. I have scoured the web far and wide and cannot find a solution to my issue and I refuse to believe that reformatting my PC is the only way to fix this issue....
  10. Unable to backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to backup files: After removing the folders I was trying to back up I can not add new folders. I click on 'Add folders' and it gives me options in C or E drive. I choose one eg. E:\Users\documents and it attempts to add the folder but the backup folder list remains blank. ***Modified...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 7zip the parameter is incorrect iso