Windows 10: Unable to move/copy etc. files within C: drive?

Discus and support Unable to move/copy etc. files within C: drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've newly installed W10 Pro and am constantly being pestered with permission nags (see attached) while attempting to reorganise files within... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tbcam88, Aug 1, 2015.

1. tbcam88 Win User

Unable to move/copy etc. files within C: drive?

Hi,

I've newly installed W10 Pro and am constantly being pestered with permission nags (see attached) while attempting to reorganise files within the Local Disk.

I've tried changing the User permissions via "Properties>Security" but encounter nothing but a load of error messages.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I upgraded from Windows 7, bypassing 8 entirely so I've never had to tackle this issue before. I'd like full access without annoying UAC-related notifications every two minutes!

Thanks in advance.

:)

tbcam88, Aug 1, 2015
  2. awaisniaz Win User

destination folder access denied message while copying into or out from system drive C

copy to C drive folder and prompt also appears even when i copy or move some file from within a folder in c drive to outside to C drive

awaisniaz, Aug 1, 2015
  3. how to move documents pictures etc folders from C: OS ssd to D: data hdd

LOL, Seriously, Cyber Team needed???????

I am sorry, but isn't move them one time, the same as change where they will be stored from now on. ???????

Change storage location or move to another location, One needs Cyber Security for cut and paste and the other needs only to go to Settings>>System>>>Storage for SSD storage transfer to HDD?????

You can copy or move a whole 2TB or much bigger drive size of info/data all at once if you want to.

Novice Beginner Level

1-01. Cut, Copy and Paste.

seahawks65, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Unable to move/copy etc. files within C: drive?

remostalin, Aug 1, 2015
  5. tbcam88 Win User
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

I ran the reg key and selected "Take Ownership" on the C: drive right-click menu. No change, I'm still getting permission nags. *Mad

tbcam88, Aug 1, 2015
  6. tbcam88 Win User
    It's also worth mentioning that I backed-up the registry before performing that edit, and now that I've went to restore it, I'm receiving the following error:

Unable to move/copy etc. files within C: drive? [​IMG]

I wonder if this is related also... Yet another nag with regards to user privileges. *Huh

tbcam88, Aug 1, 2015
  7. did u tried advanced start up system restore?

remostalin, Aug 1, 2015
  8. tbcam88 Win User

I doubt very much that would correct the problem. Any restore point I roll back to will be the same as far as user permissions go. I need to discover how to unlock the restrictions on my user account.

tbcam88, Aug 1, 2015
  9. did u scanned?
    command prompt with administrator SFC /SCANNOW

remostalin, Aug 1, 2015
  10. tbcam88 Win User
    The plot thickens...*Huh

Unable to move/copy etc. files within C: drive? [​IMG]

tbcam88, Aug 1, 2015
  11. Burien Win User
    I have this problem as well! the only way around the read/write issues that I have found so far is to copy the files I want to use to an external drive.

I hope this helps a little.

Burien, Aug 2, 2015
  12. tbcam88 Win User
    Glad it's not just me then!

I'm sure I remember a similar nag on the C: drive with Windows 8 also... One that I managed to fix if memory serves... I only tested 8 very briefly when it was released then rolled back to 7 and lived happily ever after. *chuckle

Something tells me it's done by changing the user permissions in C:>Properties>Security but I'm reluctant to start messing with those without a proper tutorial. I've had to do a clean install in the past before due to doing exactly that!

Surely some of the seasoned gurus on here will know the fix for this!

tbcam88, Aug 2, 2015
  13. Burien Win User

I hope so! it is making life very difficult and impractical. I guess that's what you get for being too keen to try it out.

I wish that there was a button on my task bar that says "get me outta here!" *Shock

Burien, Aug 2, 2015
  14. Burien Win User
    I have managed to get around this now in a couple of ways:

firstly I tried changing setting in the regeditor (not recommended) but I wanted to see if it would work. It did, I turned off the UAC. I turned the UAC back on and the tried changing the security properties for the folder where my works files are stored. Although I am the admin I needed to change the security setting. I changed the user to system then allowed all permissions. Seems to be working now!

Burien, Aug 2, 2015
  15. tbcam88 Win User
    Nice. *Cool

Can you perhaps provide a brief summary of the steps taken in order to accomplish this?

Thanks!

tbcam88, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Unable to move/copy etc. files within C: drive? - Similar Threads - Unable move copy

2. Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive: my c drive was low on storage so when i tried to clear up some space by copying the files to the hard drive i get a message saying that its unable to copy the files because the c drive is low on storage. The computer somehow thinks that i am trying to copy the files to the C...
  3. Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to copy files from C drive to external hardrive: my c drive was low on storage so when i tried to clear up some space by copying the files to the hard drive i get a message saying that its unable to copy the files because the c drive is low on storage. The computer somehow thinks that i am trying to copy the files to the C...
  4. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.: Hello,Im in the process of trying to sell my desktop unit but I need to get the computer info a fit enough state for anyone to take it. The main drawback I have is that for some reason I am unable to copy files from my external hard drive to the c drive. For some files it...
  5. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.: Hello,Im in the process of trying to sell my desktop unit but I need to get the computer info a fit enough state for anyone to take it. The main drawback I have is that for some reason I am unable to copy files from my external hard drive to the c drive. For some files it...
  6. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file

Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file: A user screenshotted a twitter feed and did not rename the file. The file name is now exceedingly long, causing issues with our backup service due to the filepath length. I have tried moving, copying, renaming, and deleting the file, but nothing happens, not even an error. I...
  8. Restrictions when copying/moving files to C Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Restrictions when copying/moving files to C Drive: [img] Is there any explanation as to why I have this situation of 1) Having to press the "continue" button everytime I'm copying/moving something to the C: drive (P.S. It's just a home PC and I'm the only admin/user), & 2) Why the "More details" is dimmed? I'm running...
  9. Unable to copy into 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps'

Unable to copy into 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps': I need to be able to copy some files into WindowsApps to modify items downloaded from the windows store. However, I keep getting an error as below: Destination Folder Access Denied [ATTACH] I am logged in as an administrator, I have taken ownership and 'full control'...
  10. Unable to move, copy or rename .7z file

Unable to move, copy or rename .7z file: i was recentley modding a video game and i downloaded a file with this name Анвил.7z i cant move it delete it or rename it any help ***Original title: Cant delete file with Russian file name***...