Windows 10: Unable to move or delete files or folders

Discus and support Unable to move or delete files or folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Constantly get "File/Folder in use by another program".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by M.L.R.- [O365], Nov 27, 2019.

1. Unable to move or delete files or folders

Constantly get "File/Folder in use by another program".

:)

M.L.R.- [O365], Nov 27, 2019
  2. Guest1 Win User

Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Unable to move or delete files or folders :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Unable to move or delete files or folders :eek:hwell:

Guest1, Nov 27, 2019
  3. Guest2 Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

Guest2, Nov 27, 2019
  4. Guest3 Win User

Unable to move or delete files or folders

Delete a file folder.

In such cases it is often possible to use this 3-step process:

1. Move the folder to C:\
    2. Reboot
    3. Delete the folder

Guest3, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

Unable to move or delete files or folders

1. Unable to move or delete files or folders - Similar Threads - Unable move delete

2. Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to move, copy, delete, or rename a file: A user screenshotted a twitter feed and did not rename the file. The file name is now exceedingly long, causing issues with our backup service due to the filepath length. I have tried moving, copying, renaming, and deleting the file, but nothing happens, not even an error. I...
  3. Unable to delete or move files in my computer's Documents or Pictures folder

Unable to delete or move files in my computer's Documents or Pictures folder: Hello, I am unable to delete or move any files or folders in my computer's Documents or Pictures folder. Whenever I try, I get a message saying I need permission from the administrator to carry out the action. If anyone can help, I appreciate it....
  4. Unable to delete files or folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to delete files or folder: I am using windows 10 pro version 1903 and I need to delete a folder containing about 6 files and 4 sub folders. When I click delete, I get the following error: [img] I am then prompted with a dialog where I enter the administrator username and password. I then get the...
  5. Unable to delete files from iCloud folder

Unable to delete files from iCloud folder: Hello! I have a problem with iCloud for PC, Windows store version. I can't delete any of the downloaded files. Each time I get this error message: [ATTACH] However, I can rename/move these files and delete them using explorer if they are not downloaded to my PC. I have...
  6. Files and folders reappear after deleting or moving

Files and folders reappear after deleting or moving: I have 2 places on my Windows 10 machine where folders reappear after being moved or deleted. The pictures folder and download folders have been moved from the small SSD C drive to the larger D drive. Several folders in the picture folders return to their original place...
  7. Unable to delete files and folders

Unable to delete files and folders: I am unable to delete any files or folders directly on my system. However, if I cut & paste them onto a different location, I can immediately delete it. This happens intermittently. Is there a fix to this?...
  8. Unknown file in WindowsApp folder - unable to delete

Unknown file in WindowsApp folder - unable to delete: Hello, after having issues cleaning my windowsApp folder, il discovered inside it another folder called MSIXVC, with inside, a gigantic 54.8Go file called " A23B7721-871B-4AD0-805D-C50F8EAA5363 " , and it's just a file, no extensions, nothing. It's surely a game or a...
  9. Unable to Delete a Folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to Delete a Folder: After clean installing 1803 I found that OneDrive was giving errors in Event Viewer so I decided to follow a guide which recommended uninstalling and reinstalling it. During install I decided to move the folder from c: to d:. Unfortunately this has left all the files behind...
  10. Unable to delete Program Files (X86) folder and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to delete Program Files (X86) folder and files: My Win10 Home is regularly updated by MS. After a recent update I find I am no longer able to update or completely remove applications. An example: Firstly, I am logged in as an administrator. I recently ran a program that informed me that an update was available. I opted...