Windows 10: Unable to move pagefile to a flash drive nor enable ReadyBoost

Discus and support Unable to move pagefile to a flash drive nor enable ReadyBoost in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. I need to increase my pagefile beyond the free size of my SSD disk (which is small in a laptop). I need to perform some complex calculations... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by skan, Dec 1, 2020.

1. skan Win User

Unable to move pagefile to a flash drive nor enable ReadyBoost

Hello.

I need to increase my pagefile beyond the free size of my SSD disk (which is small in a laptop).
    I need to perform some complex calculations (fitting some models with a lot of data in R) that need 400GB of RAM but my computer has only 16GB.

Then I had the idea of using a fast Sandisk 256GB USB to extend my pagefile.
    But Windows Settings Virtual memory only allows me to select my internal drive. The USB doesn't appear listed there.

I've been googling and it seems that I first need to enable ReadyBoost, but that option is disabled because it says my main drive is faster.

The proposed solution I've found at many web sites is to find this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\EMDMgmt

and inside a key with the name of my flash disk and change DeviceStatus to 2 and WriteSpeedKBs and SpeedReadKBs to a value larger than 1000.

But my regedit doesn't show that EMDMgmt key nor any WriteSpeedKBs and SpeedReadKBs keys either.

I have also tried to "flip" the removable media bit with tools such as Bootit, but it doesn't change anything.

How can I do it?

Thanks.

:)

skan, Dec 1, 2020

2. Enabling Windows ReadyBoost on a flash-based drive Tablet PC

Hi Cesar,

If your system has a flash-based drive such as an SSD hard disk in it, using ReadyBoost isn't necessary. You will receive the message, "ReadyBoost is not enabled on this computer, because the system disk is fast enough that ReadyBoost is unlikely to provide
    any additional benefit." This is because a system with an SSD hard disk, along with SuperFetch, can outperform ReadyBoost.

If you feel that your device's performance will improve by enabling ReadyBoost, we request that you take a moment to send us your suggestions through the
    Feedback Hub which is readily available with Windows 10. You can find it through
    Cortana or the Search bar.

If you need further assistance, let us know.

Jezhel Uga, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    The readyboost tab is missing but is enabled in services.why?

Hi,

Device compatibility is one of the reasons why the ReadyBoost tab is missing. Kindly provide the following answers to the questions below to further isolate the issue:

• What is the make and model of the flash drive that you are using for ReadyBoost?
    • Have you tried inserting the flash drive to another USB port?

In the meantime, we suggest updating the driver for your USB drive. This will help us identify if the issue is caused by outdated drivers. Kindly follow the steps on this article to update it:
    Update drivers in Windows 10.

We recommend using our
    Bing Translator
    to translate this message into Slovenish.

We'll wait for your response.

Mayra Aqu, Dec 1, 2020
  4. Unable to move pagefile to a flash drive nor enable ReadyBoost

Readyboost

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will assist you with this.

ReadyBoost can speed up your computer by using storage space on most USB flash drives and flash memory cards.

ReadyBoost uses the Superfetch service that should be enabled and set to "Running" and "Automatic".

For ReadyBoost to effectively speed up your computer, the flash drive or memory card should have at least 1 gigabyte (GB) of available space. If your drive or card doesn't have enough available space for ReadyBoost , you'll see a message telling you to free
    some space on it. For best results, use a flash drive or flash memory card with at least double the amount of available space as the amount of memory (RAM) in your computer.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

1. Plug the flash drive into a USB port on your computer.

2. In the AutoPlay dialog box, choose Speed Up My System.

3. The flash drive’s Properties dialog box appears with the
    ReadyBoost tab upfront.

4. Click on ReadyBoost tab.

5. Choose the Use This Device option.

6. Click OK.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

Unable to move pagefile to a flash drive nor enable ReadyBoost

1. Unable to move pagefile to a flash drive nor enable ReadyBoost - Similar Threads - Unable move pagefile

2. I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost: I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost on Win11 PC.PC has hard drive and attempting to use USB drive for ReadyBoost. SysMain is running.See specifications below. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-unable-to-enable-readyboost/82dbe539-e594-42b7-93bc-60f6af1e6c5e
  3. I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost: I'm unable to enable ReadyBoost on Win11 PC.PC has hard drive and attempting to use USB drive for ReadyBoost. SysMain is running.See specifications below. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-unable-to-enable-readyboost/82dbe539-e594-42b7-93bc-60f6af1e6c5e
  4. Moving the pagefile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving the pagefile: I have Windows 10 in the C: partition of my PC, i.e.the first partition. Gradually the C: drive has gained more and more files and I have tried to extend it by first deleting the next partition on the drive. I found that I could not do this as Windows had placed the pagefile...
  5. Moving the pagefile

Moving the pagefile: I have Windows 10 in the C: partition of my PC, i.e.the first partition. Gradually the C: drive has gained more and more files and I have tried to extend it by first deleting the next partition on the drive. I found that I could not do this as Windows had placed the pagefile...
  6. Moving the pagefile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost: Greetings all, Long story short, I enabled ReadyBoost on my old PC only to find out that it still uses the PageFile on the much slower HDD so its the same speed still !Question is : How can I force Windows 10 to put the PageFile itself on the USB ? Thank You in Advance ....
  8. PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost

PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost: Greetings all, Long story short, I enabled ReadyBoost on my old PC only to find out that it still uses the PageFile on the much slower HDD so its the same speed still !Question is : How can I force Windows 10 to put the PageFile itself on the USB ? Thank You in Advance ....
  9. PageFile Vs. ReadyBoost

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Cannot use readyboost on a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot use readyboost on a USB Flash Drive: I'm on a Windows 10 PC. I realized that I use quite a bit of my memory, so I decided to use a USB flash drive as a supplement. All the tutorials I see want me to use something in Windows called ReadyBoost. I plug in four different flash drives and ReadyBoost does not show in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. move Paging file to usb-drive ?