Windows 10: Unable to open apps or create recovery

Discus and support Unable to open apps or create recovery in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am unable to open any apps launched from Start, Internet access works though. Kids got an error that said disk or memory error and PC restarted.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by garrettcronnelly, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Unable to open apps or create recovery

I am unable to open any apps launched from Start, Internet access works though.

Kids got an error that said disk or memory error and PC restarted. Since we cant run most apps.

Get error saying Cant access C/Windows/System32/ "app name"

When I click on the C drive it says Location not available access denied.

tried to reset PC from settings, but still get same errors after it finished resetting.

Got the same Cant access C/Windows/System32 error when I tried to create recovery drive. can i create a recovery drive on my other PC? or is it system specific.

ho else can I wipe the drive and reinstall Windows? where do i find my license number?

any help would be appreciated.

:)

garrettcronnelly, Aug 19, 2020

2. Unable to create a recovery drive on Windows 10

Hello Mike,

As you are unable to create a system recovery drive on your operating system we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software on your device?
    • For how long time does the process stuck with loading circle?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?

Try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Disable the third-party anti-virus software and try to create a recovery drive.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you
    have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to uninstall the third-party anti-virus software.

Step 2: Follow the below steps to create a recovery drive on your device.

A recovery drive can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it won't start. To create one, all you need is a USB drive.

Follow:

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.
    • When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected, then select
      Next.
    • Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, then select Next > Create. A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.
    • When it's finished, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link, then select
      Delete. If not, select Finish.

Reference: Create a recovery drive

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue and required information for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 19, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Unable to open apps or create recovery :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Aug 19, 2020
  4. Unable to open apps or create recovery

Unable to create a recovery drive on Windows 10

Hi

Thanks for trying! did turn off Avast, no change; got rid of Avast and cleaned the registry, no change.

There are no error messages, the 'create a recovery drive' procedure appears to enter an endless loop as it searches for available drives.

I also have a carousel of screen backgrounds - when the background changes some processes reset (during a file renaming, or, from the middle of a large group of files to the first file in the folder)

Sometimes I lose the availability of the bottom toolbar and need to restart Windows Explorer by using task manager.

Are these in any way related? my update was not clean enough? I should reinstall Windows10?

Cheers

MikeWatters, Aug 19, 2020
Thema:

Unable to open apps or create recovery

1. Unable to open apps or create recovery - Similar Threads - Unable open apps

2. Unable to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 11: If "Back up system files to the Recovery drive" is checked the Recovery app will not see the USB flash drive. It will say "The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB and everything on the drive will be deleted." and the "Next" button is greyed out. If "Back up system...
  3. Unable to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 11: If "Back up system files to the Recovery drive" is checked the Recovery app will not see the USB flash drive. It will say "The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB and everything on the drive will be deleted." and the "Next" button is greyed out. If "Back up system...
  4. Opening the Powerpoint App and Unable to Open it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening the Powerpoint App and Unable to Open it.: I am currently in school and have lecture PowerPoints. I am unable to open the PowerPoint app itself even when I am not trying to download a lecture. I end up getting an orange screen that says "Updating Office, please wait a moment" and then it ends up giving me another...
  5. Unable to create a recovery drive with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to create a recovery drive with Windows 10: Good day. I'm trying to create a recovery drive on a USB memory stick. Even though I have a fully formatted 16 GB USB memory stick, it fails, citing: "The drive must be able to hold at least 8 GB, and everything on the drive will be deleted." And then there is no other...
  6. Side-by-Side error, and unable to create recovery drive

Side-by-Side error, and unable to create recovery drive: My machine had a glitch and now I can't run most programs, getting the "Application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect." I tried various recovery methods, but nothing works. I was advised to delete and reinstall the Visual C++ files,...
  7. Unable to create USB Flash Recovery drive

Unable to create USB Flash Recovery drive: I bought a licence from the Microsoft store so my Windows 10 is legit. When I try to create a USB flash drive Recovery, I get the error that some files are missing so the Recovery could not be created. Help please....
  8. Unable to create a recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to create a recovery drive.: When attempting to create a recovery drive on my windows 10 PC , I received the message that some of the required files are missing. What file are required and how can I put them on my system....
  9. Unable to create VAIO recovery on USB Pen drive

Unable to create VAIO recovery on USB Pen drive: Unable to create VAIO recovery in my Sony Laptop. When I click "Create Recovery Media" I see no action / processing happening. It was working fine when I had the Windows 8. I am currently on Windows 10. Can you suggest resolution...
  10. Unable to create a recovery drive by Recovery Media Creator

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to create a recovery drive by Recovery Media Creator: I tried to create a recovery drive on Dell Inspiron 13 7000 according to these instructions. My OS is Windows 10 build 1803 17134.523 (why this cannot be copied?!) The USB key is a brand new 16GB Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3, checked for errors, formatted first with NTFS,...