Windows 10: Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders

Discus and support Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since the past two days, after having downloaded a few documents, I am unable to open them. When I right click to open, it just gets stuck and I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by silent rocker, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders

Since the past two days, after having downloaded a few documents, I am unable to open them. When I right click to open, it just gets stuck and I have to close it.

I have tried moving the folder onto my desktop but once I open that and try to open a document inside, it just gets stuck.

Kindly assist.

Thanks

Canta

:)

silent rocker, Apr 10, 2020

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Apr 10, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows boots, My Documents auto opens. WTF?

That was going to be my first suggestion. *Toast :toast:

newtekie1, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders

Can't open documents

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to narrow down the issue and provide appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with answers to the questions below.

1. Is it any specific document, a document type or all documents, you are unable to open?
    2. What happens when you try to open the documents?
    3. Do you get any error message while trying to open the documents?

We look forward for your reply.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders

1. Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders - Similar Threads - Unable open documents

2. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  3. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Rename the Documents Folder: Hello - For a long time I have added the size of some folders to the name, such as Documents 300GB so I can keep track of the locations of the largest folders. But when I tried to update the name of the Documents folder, I R clicked on the folder but was unable to find a...
  4. Unable to Rename the Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Documents and downloads folders empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents and downloads folders empty: I bought a new windows 11 machine to replace an existing window10 PC. I moved my C drive from my old computer to my new computer now the D: drive. However, the documents and the downloads folders from the old computer on drive D: now appear empty. What happened and can I find...
  6. Documents and downloads folders empty

Documents and downloads folders empty: I bought a new windows 11 machine to replace an existing window10 PC. I moved my C drive from my old computer to my new computer now the D: drive. However, the documents and the downloads folders from the old computer on drive D: now appear empty. What happened and can I find...
  7. OPENING FOLDERS OR DOCUMENTS

in Windows 10 Customization
    OPENING FOLDERS OR DOCUMENTS: EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND...
  8. Documents and Downloads Folder

Documents and Downloads Folder: I have a problem, my documents and downloads folder is merged, they have the same name and I can't separate them. When I try to restore them to their default location, they both change their location. [ATTACH]...
  9. Download and Documents folders merged

Download and Documents folders merged: Hey everyone, So I tried to change the default user locations for my downloads, videos, documents and etc folders from the C to the D drive. While doing so, somehow, I merged the documents and downloads folder into one even though they still show separately. When I...
  10. Opening folder in "Documents"

Opening folder in "Documents": I can't access a folder in "Documents" ever since I got a new computer with a Windows update. Can you help me access it? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/opening-folder-in-documents/06a648ff-341e-473d-b97e-64fc40102620