Windows 10: Unable to "open file location" from search bar

Discus and support Unable to "open file location" from search bar in Cortana to solve the problem; When I search for something from the search bar and click "open file location", there's a RunTimeBroker error that says: "Windows cannot access the... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by LamWarp, Apr 5, 2020.

1. LamWarp Win User

Unable to "open file location" from search bar

When I search for something from the search bar and click "open file location", there's a RunTimeBroker error that says:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I'm pretty sure this started after I accidentally installed a virus on my computer I know, I feel kind of dumb for that then removed it. I fixed the other issue I had with it, but now this happens, and I don't know how to fix it. Is there any way to?

:)

LamWarp, Apr 5, 2020

2. Unable to find a folder from the saved location but is visible in search bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

If you can find the folder through the search bar, then I suspect you accidently moved the folder to other location.

I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

1. Press Windows key and type your folder name. (Do not click Enter after typing)

2. Once your folder appear in the suggestions, right-click on it and select
    Open file location.

3. You will be directed to the file location, copy your folder from that location and paste it to your desired location.

To Paste - press Ctrl + V

To Copy- press Ctrl + C

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Apr 5, 2020
  3. Unable Search for .odt (LibreOffice Docs) file formats using File Contents.

Hi Dr. Musou,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it could be. We truly appreciate the time and effort that you have taken to work on the issue and providing us the complete details. However, we recommend you to try following the steps mentioned below and check.

1. Open Indexing Options.
    2. Click on Modify.
    3. Click on Show all Locations.
    4. Check if the location where the documents are saved is indexed.
    5. If not, please check the box for the locations and where the documents are saved.
    6. Click on OK and let it complete the indexing
    7. Then press Windows + E key to open
      File Explorer.
    8. Then try searching with the file content in search bar at the top right corner of the
      File Explorer.

We would also suggest you to search in
    Type here to search
    bar with file content with selecting Documents at the top of the search bar. You may also want to refer

Search indexing in Windows 10: FAQ
    for more details.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Apr 5, 2020
  4. Unable to "open file location" from search bar

Unable to search files using Windows search bar

Hi Jill,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. I would recommend you to run
    search and indexing troubleshooter.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting on the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Type indexing on the search bar and click on click on
      search and indexing.

• Click on Advanced on the search and indexing dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the
      search and indexing troubleshooter.
    Please be informed that, it is not possible to revert back to the Windows 7 Start menu. However, I suggest you to give your valuable feedback and suggestion using Windows feedback app.

Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

Unable to "open file location" from search bar

1. Unable to "open file location" from search bar - Similar Threads - Unable open file

2. Search bar not opening

in Cortana
    Search bar not opening: I'm on the most recent version of windows 10 and whenever I use a shortcut that requires the windows key or I click on the search bar it automatically closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-not-opening/691960a6-7d27-430d-9734-04a8ac06414f
  3. Unable to open and use windows 10 search bar and file explorer search.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to open and use windows 10 search bar and file explorer search.: [ATTACH] Hey, a little backstory to my issue, yesterday everything was fine untill a thunder struck my house yesterday and in panic i unplugged my pc from the wall while it was running. Everything works fine now except this, i dont know if me turning my pc off so abruptly...
  4. Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results: Try this: Open Windows Explorer Go to Quick access -> Desktop Right-click on empty area -> New -> Text Document Search "New Text Document" without quotes In the search results, right-click "New Text Document.txt" -> Send to -> Desktop create shortcut Go back to Quick access...
  5. Unable to open documents from the search bar.

Unable to open documents from the search bar.: When I search for an item in my search bar, once found, I'm unable to open it directly. I have to go to the file folder it's in and open it from there. This has never been an issue until today. Occasionally, I will get a pop up that tells me I don't have permission to open...
  6. Windows 10 search unable to locate files in folder

Windows 10 search unable to locate files in folder: When searching for a specific image in my downloads folder using the Search bar the image does not show up. As there are so many files in my folder it is normally much quicker for me to just type in the image name rather than scrolling through the file. But even when I search...
  7. Can't open files from Windows Search Bar

in Cortana
    Can't open files from Windows Search Bar: I usually open some of my files by searching their name in windows and then clicking them. This feature stopped working after I did an update on Windows. My previous version was 1803 and the new version is 1809. I am on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. After I click search icon, the...
  8. Unable to Open Search Bar in Windows 10?

in Cortana
    Unable to Open Search Bar in Windows 10?: Hi. I am unable to open the search bar in Windows 10. Can anybody tell me what is the reason and how to solve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-search-bar-in-windows-10/9c903b0c-5d76-4c41-990e-79c16f01b4e0"
  9. Unable To Copy In Search Bar In File Explorer

Unable To Copy In Search Bar In File Explorer: Hello, I hope I can get an answer to this problem I am having when I try to copy something in the Search Bar at the top in File Explorer. I have an HP Omen Obelisk that was set up just a few days ago. I am using Win 10 Home Edition. I have a 256 SSD and a 1TB HDD. My OS is...
  10. unable to open settings from windows search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to open settings from windows search bar: Problem: i'm unable to open the setting options from the search bar (while apps works fine) , as soon as i click on it nothing append, no error message, nothing at all, should be something realted to cortana or the name of the user which was changed. Version: windows 10...