Windows 10: Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file

Discus and support Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I have edit permissions to a set of files that someone shared with me through OneDrive. I access the files through a browser and can edit them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by LindaRehme, May 13, 2020.

1. Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file

Hi,

I have edit permissions to a set of files that someone shared with me through OneDrive. I access the files through a browser and can edit them through Office apps online. However, there are some features of Excel, for example, that you can't use in Excel online so I open the file using the "Open in Desktop App" function. This all worked seamlessly on my old PC but I recently purchased a new PC.

Now I can still open the Excel file using Excel online but when I try to "Open in Desktop App", I am prompted for my Microsoft Account. I type in my email address and click Next, the dialog box flashes, and returns to asking me for my email address. I never get a prompt for my password. On the old PC I didn't have the prompt for my Microsoft Account.

At the time I'm accessing the shared file in OneDrive and when I edit it online I am logged into my Microsoft Account. Why is prompting me for my account again with I try to go to the desktop Excel? If it does need the account again, why don't I get a prompt for the password?

I'm on a current version of Windows 10 and have current version of Office for Home.

:)

LindaRehme, May 13, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, May 13, 2020
  3. iptsoe Win User
    Unable to open Files in OneDrive Grey X

Evening all,

I've just been going through some of my files stored on OneDrive, and a considerable amount of data in my OneDrive folder won't open and is displaying a grey X in the corner is there any way for me to recover it?

Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file [​IMG]

iptsoe, May 13, 2020
  4. RonForbes Win User

Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file

Windows 10 - Control panel and OneDrive not opening

I am unable to open OneDrive and the Control Panel on Windows 10 App list. This started only a couple of weeks ago. Any suggestions?

RonForbes, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file

1. Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file - Similar Threads - Unable open desktop

2. Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file: Hello -I saw the below inquiry posted in 2020 but no responses were posted to it. I am having the same issue, exactly as outlined below. My husband is able to open the desktop app on his computer and I am not able to on mine. The shared files have both our microsoft accounts...
  3. Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file: Hello -I saw the below inquiry posted in 2020 but no responses were posted to it. I am having the same issue, exactly as outlined below. My husband is able to open the desktop app on his computer and I am not able to on mine. The shared files have both our microsoft accounts...
  4. Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Onedrive file sharing

Onedrive file sharing: Good Morning,Is anyone experiencing issues when a file is shared in Teams from Onedrive and unable to see who the file has been shared with and change access.I have Users that can no longer see these options in Onedrive but can for files shared more than 3 weeks ago.Please...
  6. Unable to Open Files in Documents or OneDrive

Unable to Open Files in Documents or OneDrive: Some time after I had purchased my refurbished Surface Pro IV and signed in to OneDrive, I had noticed an odd problem, which still has plagued me for almost five months, now. I can see the files I want, but the Open button remains greyed out, nor can I double-click to open...
  7. OneDrive Shared Folder not Sharing Files

OneDrive Shared Folder not Sharing Files: I created a View-Only Shared OneDrive Folder with another person. I have confirmed that this folder is visible on their OneDrive Account and was downloaded onto all their devices. I then added files to the Folder, but the files themselves have not been shared. The files...
  8. Sharing onedrive files

Sharing onedrive files: Why cant I share a link to my OneDrive files and folders? The menu item is missing from my OneDrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-onedrive-files/e8ab449c-efb1-442b-8c17-6ba03f6d3e04"
  9. unable to open files: OneDrive issue

unable to open files: OneDrive issue: I receive an error message when trying to open files on my desktop ( JPG, TXTand Excel): Can't open this file. Make sure OneDrive is running on your PC, then try again. What’s the matter? How am I supposed to fix it?...
  10. Unable to share Albums from Photos app on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to share Albums from Photos app on OneDrive: Hi, I have been trying to share an Album in the Photos app via OneDrive. However the status bar text has been saying "[Album name] uploading to OneDrive - 1 of 15" for over 15 minutes. Each picture is about 7MB and my upload speed has been tested at 13mbps, so each picture...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. not able to launch onedrive from desktop