Windows 10: Unable to open journal as it has 'unrecoverable errors'

Discus and support Unable to open journal as it has 'unrecoverable errors' in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have written down all my notes for a subject on a journal on microsoft windows. However when writing notes it started popping up saying that my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Vanessa Thorpe, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Unable to open journal as it has 'unrecoverable errors'

I have written down all my notes for a subject on a journal on microsoft windows. However when writing notes it started popping up saying that my recent changes had not been saved and to exit the journal and go back onto it, which is what I then did. Now I am locked out of the journal with whenever I try to click on it a notification popping up saying it cannot be opened as it contains unrecoverable errors. I desperately need to access this journal again as it contains most of my notes. Any way I can get it to let me back in?

:)

Vanessa Thorpe, Jun 7, 2023
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Old Windows Journal

Hi,

It is possible that Windows Journal was removed from certain versions of the Windows operating system due to corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in article on how you can install Windows Journal on
    versions of Windows from which it was removed.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jun 7, 2023
  3. Unrecoverable error

An unrecoverable error has accurred while attempting to access the Windows Font Cache. This is often an indication of a corrupted Windows installation.

I get this message whenever I attemp to open one certian application. This only started happening after upgrading to Windows 10, and so far it is the only program that is having issues. I have contacted the support for the program and since the error
    is saying windows is corrupted they are unwilling to assist.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program, reset all fonts to defaults, and the needed font is listed in the fonts.

Princessblingtx, Jun 7, 2023
  4. Unable to open journal as it has 'unrecoverable errors'

Windows Journal removal

Hi Gary:

I'm a Program Manager at Microsoft, and I may be able to answer some of your questions.

Windows 10 1511 refers to the version of Windows 10 you are running, which corresponds to the version number 10.0.10586. You can see the version 1511 reported by running winver.exe from the Run dialog (Windows+R) or a command prompt.

KB3161102 is the update which removes Journal from your system You'll know when it has been automatically installed when
    you can no longer run Journal, or you see KB3161102 in your list of installed updates.

The best proactive thing you can do is download and install the KB3161102 package yourself by following the links in the article. After Windows Journal is removed, if needed, you can install the Journal application by following the steps in

KB3162655
    . The Journal application works the same as before, with two differences:

• You will see a warning about opening untrusted Journal files
    • The Journal Note Writer has been removed. It allowed you to “Print to Journal” from other applications.

For information about the security issues with the current version of Journal, you can read the most recent security bulletin we issued for Journal,

MS16-056
    , to get an idea of the type of vulnerabilities we have patched to date. From that bulletin:

For an attack to be successful, this vulnerability requires that a user open a specially crafted Journal file with an affected version of Windows Journal. In an email attack scenario, an attacker could exploit the vulnerability
    by sending a specially crafted Journal file to the user, and then convincing the user to open the file. The update addresses the vulnerability by modifying how Windows Journal parses Journal files.

In other words, if you open Journal files from untrusted sources, you can be exploited. These issues will not impact you if you are using the Journal application from KB3162655.

Lastly, we highly recommend all customers use OneNote moving forward. We are aware that converting existing Journal files to OneNote is difficult, and are investigating how we can make that transition easier for our customers.

Thanks

--Jon, MSFT

Jon Fincher, Jun 7, 2023
Thema:

Unable to open journal as it has 'unrecoverable errors'

1. Unable to open journal as it has 'unrecoverable errors' - Similar Threads - Unable open journal

2. Roblox will not open and it have "Unrecoverable Error"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Roblox will not open and it have "Unrecoverable Error": I have a file that has all of the info but it is too large to paste I will send but I do not know how. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/roblox-will-not-open-and-it-have-unrecoverable/a876906f-f214-41e8-9d54-18886e74bb89
  3. Roblox will not open and it have "Unrecoverable Error"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Roblox will not open and it have "Unrecoverable Error": I have a file that has all of the info but it is too large to paste I will send but I do not know how. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/roblox-will-not-open-and-it-have-unrecoverable/a876906f-f214-41e8-9d54-18886e74bb89
  4. Unable to open journal as it has 'unrecoverable errors'

Unable to open journal as it has 'unrecoverable errors': I have written down all my notes for a subject on a journal on microsoft windows. However when writing notes it started popping up saying that my recent changes had not been saved and to exit the journal and go back onto it, which is what I then did. Now I am locked out of...
  5. How to fix "The application has encountered an unrecoverable error"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix "The application has encountered an unrecoverable error"?: Recently I have gained an issue while attempting to open a game Roblox. While trying to join a game, I am greeted with an error that immediately closes the game as well. I have tried restarting my laptop and reinstalling Roblox however I cannot find a fix....
  6. How to fix "The application has encountered an unrecoverable error"?

How to fix "The application has encountered an unrecoverable error"?: Recently I have gained an issue while attempting to open a game Roblox. While trying to join a game, I am greeted with an error that immediately closes the game as well. I have tried restarting my laptop and reinstalling Roblox however I cannot find a fix....
  7. roblox has an unrecoverable error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    roblox has an unrecoverable error: so I tried opening roblox and i got an error message saying that " roblox has an unrecoverable error" and then the system copied an information dump to my clipboard. I tried some quick fixes and none worked. I've also tried to find where the info dump should be posted but I...
  8. roblox has an unrecoverable error

roblox has an unrecoverable error: so I tried opening roblox and i got an error message saying that " roblox has an unrecoverable error" and then the system copied an information dump to my clipboard. I tried some quick fixes and none worked. I've also tried to find where the info dump should be posted but I...
  9. Error Opening Microsoft Journal notebook

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Opening Microsoft Journal notebook: I am unable to open my notebook in Microsoft Journal. It says that the file might've been moved to another location or the file may be corrupt, but I didn't move the file. If it is corrupt how can this be fixed? Thank you....
  10. Error Opening Microsoft Journal notebook

Error Opening Microsoft Journal notebook: I am unable to open my notebook in Microsoft Journal. It says that the file might've been moved to another location or the file may be corrupt, but I didn't move the file. If it is corrupt how can this be fixed? Thank you....