Windows 10: Unable to open Office files inside file explorer

Discus and support Unable to open Office files inside file explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10. Inside file explorer, I cannot open office files word, excel, pics, etc - I CAN open PDFs. If I go into the application, word... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RockinRealtor, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Unable to open Office files inside file explorer

I am running Windows 10. Inside file explorer, I cannot open office files word, excel, pics, etc - I CAN open PDFs. If I go into the application, word for example, I can pull the file up through browse and open it from there.

I also have no preview images on pics. When I try to open or move an office file, I get a "not responding" on file explorer.

What's the deal?

:)

RockinRealtor, Feb 11, 2020
  2. esmorax Win User

Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list

Thanks for the tip! I followed all above steps.

So far I can open files from the Recent files list when I enter Word itself, however I still am unable to open any documents using the Word icon pinned to the taskbar:

Unable to open Office files inside file explorer [​IMG]

-

esmorax, Feb 11, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Unable to open word document through Windows File Explorer

Hi Diane,

Are you able to open Word files from inside Word - File - Open

If Word opens files form inside Word, but not by double clicking Word files on your PC, follow these steps to perform a full repair of your Office installation . . .

Open Control Panel - Programs and Features

Click Microsoft Office in the list of installed applications

At the top, click 'Change'

On the resulting dialog, click 'Repair' - choose the Online Repair, it is a comprehensive fix

That should fix any issues with your Office Installation . . .

DaveM121, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Ketxxx Win User

Unable to open Office files inside file explorer

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Unable to open Office files inside file explorer

1. Unable to open Office files inside file explorer - Similar Threads - Unable open Office

2. Unable to Create New Microsoft Office File Within File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Create New Microsoft Office File Within File Explorer: Hello, for some reason, I can no longer create Microsoft Office files within my File Explorer, only Google files. Open "File Explorer" > "+ New". This was a convenient feature, and I am still determining why the option has disappeared and been replaced with only Google apps....
  3. Unable to Create New Microsoft Office File Within File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Create New Microsoft Office File Within File Explorer: Hello, for some reason, I can no longer create Microsoft Office files within my File Explorer, only Google files. Open "File Explorer" > "+ New". This was a convenient feature, and I am still determining why the option has disappeared and been replaced with only Google apps....
  4. Opening Office files crashes Explorer

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Opening Office files crashes Explorer: Office 2013 Pro Plus. when trying to open doc or excel files maybe other files as well, Clicking on the .doc file goes unresponsive and after awhile closes but crashes explorer ie my desktop refreshes. I can open the same files using the Word or Excel, so the issue seems to...
  5. Unable to open File explorer

Unable to open File explorer: I put my lap sleep about 2 hours and after that i log in to my Laptop tried to open file explorer but it loads for 2 seconds and blinks screenMonitor like refresh. Then I check the windows update it downloded a cumulative update and after restarting I tried to open file...
  6. Unable to Open older MS Office files

Unable to Open older MS Office files: Some of my older MS Office files now have a "gray X" in their document icon. I cannot open those files now. No error message. What is the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-older-ms-office-files/31c1afd0-c379-4fef-a957-5456f25a2d5d"
  7. Windows 10 Update vs. Office Update - File Explorer Unable to Open Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update vs. Office Update - File Explorer Unable to Open Files: I know similar issues have arisen in the past .... I never had problems on this Windows 10 machine previously w/ updates so I guess its my time. After recent update I can no longer open excel files from within File Explorer. It freezes then closes. At first I suspected a...
  8. Unable to Open File Explorer

Unable to Open File Explorer: Dear Team, I am unable to open file explorer or any other folders on my windows 10 desktop. I tried almost all the methods suggested in the online search results but nothing. When i click on any folder or File Explorer icon on task bar, it just dosent give any response at...
  9. File Explorer Not Responding with Office Files

File Explorer Not Responding with Office Files: Every time I open File Explorer (Windows 10), it works perfectly fine until I click on a Word or Powerpoint document. The window freezes and is "Not Responding". This happens when I double-click to open the file, and even when I just click on the file to drag it into another...
  10. File Explorer Not Responding with Office Files

File Explorer Not Responding with Office Files: Every time I open File Explorer (Windows 10), it works perfectly fine until I click on a Word or Powerpoint document. The window freezes and is "Not Responding". This happens when I double-click to open the file, and even when I just click on the file to drag it into another...