Windows 10: Unable to Open older MS Office files

Discus and support Unable to Open older MS Office files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Some of my older MS Office files now have a "gray X" in their document icon. I cannot open those files now. No error message. What is the issue?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KenBuchanan1, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Unable to Open older MS Office files

Some of my older MS Office files now have a "gray X" in their document icon.

I cannot open those files now.

No error message.

What is the issue?

:)

KenBuchanan1, Mar 7, 2020
  2. Devon68 Win User

Open Office

I used ms office for ever. Then I decided to try open office and when I opened a file and changed some things and decided to go back to ms office the file was messed up. Luckily I had a backup file

Devon68, Mar 7, 2020
  3. esmorax Win User
    Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list

Thanks for the tip! I followed all above steps.

So far I can open files from the Recent files list when I enter Word itself, however I still am unable to open any documents using the Word icon pinned to the taskbar:

Unable to Open older MS Office files [​IMG]

-

esmorax, Mar 7, 2020
  4. Unable to Open older MS Office files

Opening Older Files with Cortana

I am having trouble with Cortana. I cannot get it to open older files. Does anyone have any suggestions. I need to open a certain One Note file and an Open Office File. Cortana will open One Note and Open Office but will not open the file that I specify.

Thank You in advance,

Jay

JayTaunton, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

Unable to Open older MS Office files

1. Unable to Open older MS Office files - Similar Threads - Unable Open older

2. Unable to open older files message "how do you want to open this file?" never had this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open older files message "how do you want to open this file?" never had this...: Unable to open older files. I get this message "how do you want to open this file?" never had this problem before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-older-files-message-how-do-you-want/613e3cbc-442d-42a3-8f55-5578ae0aeb05
  3. can't open ms office

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't open ms office: Some of my file MS excel cannot open, because i just updated my windows 11 while im working with this file, now its stuck on 100% while opened, another file can open but only shows sandtime for a long time,.. but this file can open on another PC or Laptop,this file its not...
  4. can't open ms office

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't open ms office: Some of my file MS excel cannot open, because i just updated my windows 11 while im working with this file, now its stuck on 100% while opened, another file can open but only shows sandtime for a long time,.. but this file can open on another PC or Laptop,this file its not...
  5. UNABLE TO OPEN JPG FILES WITH MS PHOTO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UNABLE TO OPEN JPG FILES WITH MS PHOTO: USING MS 365. HAVE UPDATED SOFTWARE. BUT NOW UNABLE TO OPEN ANY JPG FILES WITH MS PHOTO. THEY DO OPEN WITH MS PAINT & PAINT 3D BUT I PREFER PHOTO. USED TO OPEN AUTOMATICALLY WHEN I CLICKED ON THE PIC. JUST GET A BLACK SCREEN WITH NO PIC THEN GOES OFF. PLEASE HELP...
  6. Unable to open Office files inside file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open Office files inside file explorer: I am running Windows 10. Inside file explorer, I cannot open office files word, excel, pics, etc - I CAN open PDFs. If I go into the application, word for example, I can pull the file up through browse and open it from there. I also have no preview images on pics. When I...
  7. My system Desktop items are not open ( MS Office files )

My system Desktop items are not open ( MS Office files ): Dear sir, My name is vamsi krishna, working as a civil engineer In MNC Company. Few days on words my system desktop files ( MS Office ) Shows the lock symbol and file not open. I have so much required for this files. Error is:- The file format or file extension is not...
  8. Indexing MS office files without MS office installed

Indexing MS office files without MS office installed: I need to have MS office files indexed a computer that does not have MS office installed. what tool do i need to install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/indexing-ms-office-files-without-ms-office/1d5b5dfb-3a90-48f7-8d21-535777e4fe89"
  9. Opening Older Files with Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening Older Files with Cortana: I am having trouble with Cortana. I cannot get it to open older files. Does anyone have any suggestions. I need to open a certain One Note file and an Open Office File. Cortana will open One Note and Open Office but will not open the file that I specify. Thank You in...
  10. Clicking on a file starts MS Office App, but doesn't open the file

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Clicking on a file starts MS Office App, but doesn't open the file: When I attempt to open an Office 2013 document, the correct app starts with a blank document instead of the document I clicked on. If I attempt to open the document within the office app (File > Open), I get a blank document. I have done an Office 2013 repair, re-associated...