Windows 10: Unable to open or copy photos from iPhone with File Explorer or Photos app

Discus and support Unable to open or copy photos from iPhone with File Explorer or Photos app in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since early August 2021 I'm unable to view photos on the iPhone with Windows photo app or windows file explorer. I can see the thumbnails on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RLPCDR, Sep 14, 2021.

1. RLPCDR Win User

Unable to open or copy photos from iPhone with File Explorer or Photos app

Since early August 2021 I'm unable to view photos on the iPhone with Windows photo app or windows file explorer. I can see the thumbnails on the computer but they won't open or let me save them to the PC. Have been copying photos from phone to pc for years without trouble. Windows photo app says "can't open this file because the format is currently unsupported or the file is corrupted.Also at the same time about a month ago -- I started to get errors: The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. This pops up multiple times. There are multiple errors every time I unplug

:)

RLPCDR, Sep 14, 2021
  2. Javo Win User

iPhone Photos import to Windows 10 PC not working

I would like to troubleshoot my inability to import photos from iPhone to Windows 10. I am an advanced user struggling to find relevant help on the internet since most results are unusable masked adverts for paid third party software.

I want to use it the following way

1. connect iPhone via USB to my Windows 10 PC
    2. open Microsoft "Photos" app
    3. click in the upper right on import > add from the device over USB
    4. select all photos and click import

4th step is where it fails, with no usable message.

• I have set the device as trusted on iPhone
    • I mostly don't see it in My Computer, therefore I cannot just copy
    • I tried uninstalling every driver and iTunes software
    • Despite not being visible in Windows Explorer, iTunes can always access the contents with no issue
    • it has a tiny moments when it starts working, but overall import fails sooner or later and never copies all 3k photos. Mostly MSPhotos don't show any content, just failure message, sometimes it shows it's content and acts as I can select what to import, but as described fails sooner or later
    • iTunes can successfully copy entire phone.

Other attempts
    • I tried multiple free 3rd party SW, all of them either failed or seemed like to be usable only after buying their extended version
    • I tried using iTunes for Syncing the Photos
      • I maybe don't know how to use it, or it is faulty too. But I've set the directory where my Photos should be synced, but sync seems to just backup the phone and creates tiny 'Photo Database file', but no photo actually gets copied onto PC.

3. Unable to open the photos in Photos App

Hello David,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in opening the Photos in Windows. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Are you trying to open the photos in Photo App?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you try to open the photos?
    • Do you have the copy of those photos and are you able to open those photos?
    Please post to us with the information above to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Sep 14, 2021
  4. Unable to open or copy photos from iPhone with File Explorer or Photos app

DaedalusHelios, Sep 14, 2021
Thema:

Unable to open or copy photos from iPhone with File Explorer or Photos app

1. Unable to open or copy photos from iPhone with File Explorer or Photos app - Similar Threads - Unable open copy

2. Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo app: Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo appFrom previous questions and replies it appears Microsoft was aware of this issue back in 2021 and were looking for fix as many other people reported the same issues, i am having the same...
  3. Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo app: Unable to open photos from iPhone with File Explorer on Laptop for Microsoft Photo appFrom previous questions and replies it appears Microsoft was aware of this issue back in 2021 and were looking for fix as many other people reported the same issues, i am having the same...
  4. Issues importing photos from my iPhone to the Photos app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues importing photos from my iPhone to the Photos app: I have a fairly new iPhone and Windows 11. When I connect my phone to import photos, the PC recognizes the photos, but it doesn't recognize which ones have already been transferred to my PC. The old photos app did this every time. The photos are also completely out of order...
  5. Issues importing photos from my iPhone to the Photos app

Issues importing photos from my iPhone to the Photos app: I have a fairly new iPhone and Windows 11. When I connect my phone to import photos, the PC recognizes the photos, but it doesn't recognize which ones have already been transferred to my PC. The old photos app did this every time. The photos are also completely out of order...
  6. Unable to import photos from iPhone, Microsoft Photos crashes

Unable to import photos from iPhone, Microsoft Photos crashes: Attempting to upload photos from iPhone 11 to newly purchased Dell Inspiron 15 5000, via USB. However, after Microsoft Photos detects the photos/videos and starts to import, it crashes. Message "something went wrong, your files may not have imported".Steps taken to...
  7. iPhone 11 not appearing in file explorer or Photos app

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    iPhone 11 not appearing in file explorer or Photos app: I've been trying everything I can find online for a few hours now - totally frustrated. I have a new laptop with Windows 10 less than 6 weeks old and wanted to download the photos off the phone onto the laptop. Initially I could "see" the phone in File Explorer but I...
  8. Exporting iPhone photo file properties from file explorer to Excel

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exporting iPhone photo file properties from file explorer to Excel: I am in the process of cleaning up more than 11,000 photos on my iPhone. To do this I connected to my Win 10 machine and accessed the file folders of which there are more than 20 folders. The task would be simple if the folders were in date order. Unfortunately the photos...
  9. Unable to import pictures using Photo App from iPhone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to import pictures using Photo App from iPhone: I cannot import pictures because when I click on Import, it informs that "something went wrong" . Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-import-pictures-using-photo-app-from/827bfa21-ce3f-40a7-8066-b424b7ade852"
  10. Photos app doesn't import photos from Iphone

Photos app doesn't import photos from Iphone: Hello, I'm trying to import my photos from Iphone X. Actually, I'm using Photos app, that Microsoft provided. Actually, I have 2 possible scenarios: 1. The application stop (is not responding) after initialization of 2000 photos 2. The application can initialize 2100...