Windows 10: Unable to open Start Menu, Store, and other MS apps

Discus and support Unable to open Start Menu, Store, and other MS apps in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This has been going on for a while. After the 1903 update, I was unable to access the start menu, the store and several apps that were not pinned to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AliraDreamwalker, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Unable to open Start Menu, Store, and other MS apps

This has been going on for a while. After the 1903 update, I was unable to access the start menu, the store and several apps that were not pinned to my task bar or desktop. I tried multiple solutions and was finally able to get the start menu to work after rolling back the update. I never regained usage of the store or calculator.

Now, the newest update (1909) did the same thing. Again, I have tried everything posted on the forums, including a rollback. I still have no access to the start menu, store or any of the apps. I can't even access the other calculator app that I downloaded. The built-in calculator just flashes open and then closes. Windows error reporting gives me nothing and refuses to close regardless of what I do, even through the task manager. Even opening the settings menu takes forever now.

What else can be done for this besides doing a complete restore? I really don't relish the idea of reverting back to Windows 7 and having to go through reinstalling everything only to run into the exact same issues.

:)

AliraDreamwalker, Nov 18, 2019

2. Unable to open Windows apps on clicking the Start menu in Windows 10.

Sahil,

ok opened Start menu, Typed in "Bing . . ." gave me a list of these "@(Microsoft . . ." strings referring to Bing apps. They don't open anything.

Typed in "Store" gave me a link to MS Store, but this won't open when clicked. It's a dead link. Same as the tile in the menu. Same as the @(Microsoft strings.

Do you have any new diagnostics?

Jonathan

JonathanPeter, Nov 18, 2019
  3. LeonLaude Win User
    unable to download games from app store

Hi,

I suggest that you reset the Windows store, follow the steps below.

Reset the Windows Store

You can use the steps below to refresh the Store which will clear the cache and refresh your library and permissions.

• Close the Windows Store app if you have it open.
    • Click Start and type wsreset.
    • Right-Click on the command and click Run as Administrator. If the Windows permission box appears, click Yes or Run.
    • A black MS DOS screen will appear for a few seconds. Wait for it to disappear and the Store will automatically open.
    • Attempt to install Sea of Thieves

If you have further questions, feel free to reply to this thread.

Kind regards,

Leon

LeonLaude, Nov 18, 2019
  4. Unable to open Start Menu, Store, and other MS apps

Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

So lately I was faced by the following symptoms :
    1 - Alot of apps not appearing on start menu where I can only run them through store
    2 - Mysterious app called : ms-resource:appDisplayName appearing on start menu that can't be deleted / uninstalled
    3 - All my previous sorted tiles were reseted

I managed to research and here is what I attempted along the way :
    1 - I found number of pages that claimed start menu now is no longer a matter of links to sort , but more like yet another database managed by indexing service (which I doubt because it doesn't really show everything installed) and it suggested running re-indexing to sort start menu shortcut issues where I did that but status remained the same
    2 - Suggestions of re-installing apps where the hidden apps still did not show after re-installation
    3 - Suggestion to reset store using WSReset.exe (nothing)
    4 - Suggestion to run Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} to totally reset the store (nothing)
    5 - Suggestion to Run > shell:AppsFolder and then right click apps to find their locations and sort them where the apps showing are found their , their location lead to older windows folder structure of start menu where the rest of the missing software shows but they still wont show on start menu

So any hints on how to edit the bloody menu to reflect store apps installed and adding other missing installed software shortcuts ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 18, 2019
Thema:

Unable to open Start Menu, Store, and other MS apps

1. Unable to open Start Menu, Store, and other MS apps - Similar Threads - Unable open Start

2. Start menu, cortana and app store will not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu, cortana and app store will not open: My Windows key and the windows logo on my screen will not open the start menu. If I right click on the Windows log I get that menu with settings etc but not the list of Apps when I left click. Also if I select Cortana it starts to open I get a blank box with Cortana at the...
  3. Start menu, cortana and app store will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu, cortana and app store will not open: My Windows key and the windows logo on my screen will not open the start menu. If I right click on the Windows log I get that menu with settings etc but not the list of Apps when I left click. Also if I select Cortana it starts to open I get a blank box with Cortana at the...
  4. Start menu, cortana and app store will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start menu and "store apps"

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and "store apps": Maybe I'm the only one who hates the alphabetic list in the Start menu, maybe it works well if you have five apps installed, but I find it annoying to have to scroll down through scores of apps just to find the link I need. I know, I can store the most used links in the...
  6. MS-Store app not starting

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    MS-Store app not starting: Hello Community, a view days ago I installed the Microsoft HoloLens App on my offline-computer. Therefore I downloaded all necessary files from Microsoft Business Store including the dependencies and the correct installer. Now after the Installation, when I start the...
  7. Start Menu missing apps installed from MS Store

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu missing apps installed from MS Store: I installed 3D Builder into my Windows 10. The app, while fully functional through extension links -- double click an associated file and 3D Builder opens and works properly -- I do not have any mention of it in my Start Menu. The menu looks something like this: # 3D...
  8. Cannot open Microsoft Store, Start menu shows ms-resource:StoreTitle

Cannot open Microsoft Store, Start menu shows ms-resource:StoreTitle: I have been unable to open Windows Store since the last few months. I cannot find the icon in start menu. On searching "store" in the search, it shows a tile named "ms-resource:StoreTitle" clicking on which does not do anything. [ATTACH] OS Build Info Edition Windows 10...
  9. Can not click on or open start menu and other apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can not click on or open start menu and other apps: I have a windows 10pc and I am having an intermittent issue where I am unable to click on certain shortcuts. I will try to click the start menu and it’s colour changes when i click, but it doesn’t open, same with file explorer and some desktop apps. If I use the keyboard to...
  10. Unable to open the MS store, the get help app, and most apps downloaded from the MS store.

Unable to open the MS store, the get help app, and most apps downloaded from the MS store.: When I try to open any of the mentioned apps, nothing at all happens. I am running the Oct 2020 update although this has been an issue for several months now. Windows 10 Home X64. Things I have attempted... running WSreset.exe Reinstalling the MS store using the...