Windows 10: Unable to open TWAIN source

Discus and support Unable to open TWAIN source in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; CanoScan LiDE60 yes its old but you can still buy them new. Its been working well on my new Dell XPS8700 running Windows 10 for over 6 months. Suddenly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CalBear37, Apr 6, 2016.

1. CalBear37 Win User

Unable to open TWAIN source

CanoScan LiDE60 yes its old but you can still buy them new. Its been working well on my new Dell XPS8700 running Windows 10 for over 6 months. Suddenly I get "Unable to open TWAIN source Please check connection Then re-start Toolbox" Unplugging and plugging the connection the computer gives the little beeps acknowledging the connection. However I still get the same error message and the associated "Toolbox" software doesn't recognize the scanner. Re-boot the computer no help. What does "fix" it is System Restore (one of Windows great features). The most recent restore point even has the same Win 10 update status so the problem doesn't seem to be an update. I checked scanner operation each day since the previous "fix" and it worked well for 3 days, now it doesn't. The scanner works fine on my 4-year old Dell XPS8100 running Windows 10 and the exact level of update.

There are no new drivers. Cannon says the scanner doesn't need a driver, its included in Win 10. I can delete the driver, reboot and the driver is back so I guess that's true.

Any suggestions about kick starting TWAIN would be appreciated.

:)

CalBear37, Apr 6, 2016
  2. Gailhhi Win User

"unable to detect twain source" error when scanning in Windows 10.

Original Title: unable to detect twain source

Get an error when I try to scan "unable to detect twain source"

Gailhhi, Apr 6, 2016
  3. "unable to detect twain source" error when scanning in Windows 10.

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• What is the make and model of the scanner?

• Did you make any changes prior to the issue?

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows
      logo key on the keyboard, type troubleshooter and select the top most search result.

• Click on View all
      from left side panel of the screen.

• Select Hardware and Devices,
      click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.

• Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: If the issue persists, I suggest you to update the scanner driver compatible with Windows 10 operating system from the manufacturer’s website and check if the issue is resolved.

Write back to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 6, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Have you changed USB ports lately? Canon scanners can be quite picky about usb3 for instance. Try USB2.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 6, 2016
  5. CalBear37 Win User
    When its working it is normally plugged in to USB3 ports. When it isn't working using a USB2 port doesn't help. Both port types clearly recognize when is it plugged or unplugged per the Device Manager.

CalBear37, Apr 7, 2016
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Was it working before on this same hardware? I had to select MANUAL option for XHCI (USB3) in BIOS for my LiDE 210 to properly work. Is your USB3 Intel?

eLPuSHeR, Apr 7, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

TWAIN is now "deprecated" in W10 -- if you still need TWAIN you'll have to either install W7 / XP / VISTA Virtual machine and run your scanner from there. Windows now uses WIA for "acquisition" type stuff -- i.e getting image from scanner etc.

TWAIN Compatibility (Windows Drivers)

Alternatively there's a piece of Paid software that still keeps these old scanners running --haven't used it for agaes but it was very good from what I remember

VUESCAN

VueScan Scanner Software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux

If you managed to get that scanner working before on W10 you must have been quite lucky or the driver was still working. TWAIN as scanner technology is not supported any more by Ms. The software is using WIA in some sort of compatibilty mode -- which *might* or *might not* work depending on all sorts of factors.

If you like the scanner the VUESCAN option seems to be the best - for most normal functions it will cost you USD 35 or so -- or around 22 GBP / 30 EUR.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 7, 2016
  8. CalBear37 Win User

This is very confusing. I've been using this scanner on various computers for years, XP, Win 7, Win 8 and now Win 10. It is presently working again on this Win 10 computer and has never failed on another computer running Win 10 that was upgraded from Win 7. When I deleted the driver Win 10 happily installed the same driver dated 10/2/2006. I guess "deprecated" doesn't mean "won't work".*Biggrin

CalBear37, Apr 7, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Are you running 32 or 64 bit windows -- my guess is that the W7 driver was from a 32 bit version of Windows which may well work still on W10 - 32 bit --not always though.

It won't work on a 64 bit version of W10 though - I'm pretty sure of that.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 7, 2016
  10. CalBear37 Win User
    Hi,
    Its a brand new computer running 64-bit windows. The scanner was working well since purchased several months ago but first stopped about a week ago. After the last system restore I used a different USB2 port. Its still working perhaps it will continue.

The older computer is also running 64-bit Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7. The same driver is used in both installations.

Regards,
    CalBear

CalBear37, Apr 7, 2016
  11. grisu70 Win User
    Hi,
    don't know if you still solution for original thread, anyway you can solve adding to PATH variable, the location of twain folder (in my case C:\Windows\Twain32\CNQ4803)

Probably some program deleted/modified your settings.

I would suggest to update both user environment variable and both computer environment

Let me know if it solved

Bye
    Fabrizio

grisu70, Aug 27, 2016
  12. John C Win User
    Thank you Fabrizio!

This had been driving me nuts. My LIDE 60 scanner had been working perfectly with my HP Envy laptop until I upgraded Windows 10 to build 1607, and then I got the error message about Twain. The Windows troubleshooter insisted that it was a USB3 problem. I do not have USB2 on the laptop, but easily disproved that theory by using the scanner on a desktop running the same operating system, with no difficulty under both USB2 and USB3. Reinstalling the drivers made no difference, but editing the Path variable as you suggested solved the problem instantly. It is disappointing that the troubleshooter should have missed something so basic - yet so obscure for people not familiar with DOS.

John C, Sep 13, 2016
  13. Unable to open TWAIN source

I have a Canon Lide 70 that is old and slow, but I didn't see a need to upgrade since I rarely scan anything. Sometimes it would work with my new computer (Windows 10) and sometimes it wouldn't. Anyway, I checked the link somebody provided above, for VUESCAN, and it works fine. The only problem is that the free version puts a watermark on the scanned page.

pamelascott, Oct 31, 2016
  14. Ugh right after I posted this, I see that it posted the Alabama flag next to my name. That is the flag of Alabama, NOT a Confederate flag.

pamelascott, Oct 31, 2016
  15. jimbo you are totally incorrect and you should not write posts that misguide other users. TWAIN can still be used In Windows 10; however, the TWAIN Path is not preset in system Environment Variables under Advanced System Settings. Any user running Windows 10 simply has to click "New" to add the path, then enter the name "TWAIN" and then add the path "C:\Windows\twain_32" then click "OK" to finish. Do not include the quotes (of course) when adding the name/path. I have an old CanoScan LIDE25 and it works perfectly in Windows 10. The latest TWAIN drivers from the Canon website are only current through Windows 7 but that does not matter since the drivers work perfectly in Windows 10. If you need to download your scanner's latest TWAIN drivers, the website URL is: Official Canon Service and Support, Canon drivers, Canon tech support and Canon warranty information.

Dave

daveo88888, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to open TWAIN source - Similar Threads - Unable open TWAIN

2. WinAppDriver open source

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinAppDriver open source: For test automation of Windows applications, there is only one option as far as I know: WinAppDriver. This component is however severely lacking support from Microsoft. Would it be possible to open source WinAppDriver? That would immediately revive it and probably solve many...
  3. Temporary user ID and "twain source error"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Temporary user ID and "twain source error": When I powered up my computer, it said it had to open with a temporary user profile. I now have a "shell" platform to operate with. How do I get my regular log in user ID back and my programs. My files are still on the computer under my user name. But the computer only...
  4. update TWAIN driver

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    update TWAIN driver: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now I can't download my cell phone pics using Microsoft Picture It Photo Premium 9. It says that the TWAIN driver is outdated. How do I fix this? I am using a Toshiba Satellite C55-A....
  5. Renewed Scanner unable to obtain twain source

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Renewed Scanner unable to obtain twain source: I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 on PC. Do you also need full version? 1903 (OS Build 18362.476) I read an old thread with suggestions and explanations, and a forum suggestion the thread was very old and I might start a new one. I've had my Canon Lide 25 scanner running...
  6. TWAIN-compliant

in Windows 10 Customization
    TWAIN-compliant: While scanning I get this error " "There is no TWAIN-compliant device installed. How to get rid of this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/twain-compliant/c9120d9f-7981-4e88-bf81-52ee795a979d
  7. Fix for canoscan toolbox unable to open file. Twain driver Windows 10

Fix for canoscan toolbox unable to open file. Twain driver Windows 10: I have been using a Canon Lide 60 with scanner Windows 7 and then Windows 10. Canoscan Toolbox and driver are installed using Troubleshoot Compatibility. But after updating to 1803 I got an error message "canoscan toolbox unable to open file".Research indicated this is...
  8. Twain Drivers

Twain Drivers: Is there a link to a location where I can download the Twain Driver for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/twain-drivers/f45625ae-896b-431c-966e-574d27b9f9cf
  9. Twain

Twain: When I open a .jpg file, I first get this message: [img] . Is there a good web site for finding out how to do that (re-installing the Twain drivers) in Windows 10? 124680
  10. Twain

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Twain: When I open a .jpg file, I first get this message: [img] . Is there a good web site for finding out how to do that (re-installing the Twain drivers) in Windows 10? 124680

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to select twain source windows 10

2. unable to open twain source

3. windows 10 twain path

4. unable to open twain source scanner,
  5. unaible to select twain,
  6. canoscan lide60 driver usb3,
  7. twain data source program was unable to load,
  8. cannot open twain source,
  9. Windows 2016 twain source not opening,
  10. pacs scan unable to open twain resource,
  11. CAN NOT OPEN TO TWAIN SOURCE,