Windows 10: Unable to perform a backup due to report that pastport is "write preotected"

Discus and support Unable to perform a backup due to report that pastport is "write preotected" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Using a conventional 2 TB hard disk for backup, and scheduling backup every day, The backup fails, reporting that the hard disk is write protected.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ClarenceCrowQQ, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Unable to perform a backup due to report that pastport is "write preotected"

Using a conventional 2 TB hard disk for backup, and scheduling backup every day, The backup fails, reporting that the hard disk is write protected. This started several weeks ago.

:)

ClarenceCrowQQ, Jan 7, 2019
  2. Bokenzhe Win User

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Unable to perform a backup due to report that pastport is "write preotected" [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Jan 7, 2019
  3. Linda.y Win User
    Health & Performance Report Not Available on 2 user accounts except the administrator's account in the laptop has Health Report

Thanks Jaune . I performed the first 3 steps in my built-in administrator account & did get the Health Report back for this account. However I did not perform the second set of 3steps as I do not understand it & have fear that it would remove the newly
    emerged Health Report. I tried perform the first 3 steps on my second administrator account which did bring the Health Report, on finding later that Health Report is no longer available on my built-in admin. account

Despite this, this is the best advice so far as all other answers like performing a clean boot, starting in a safe mode did not work for me at all.

Jaune, will you please help me further to fix the "add new user account" problem. None of the admin account will respond to my click on add account. I want to remove the second admin account where no Health report is available, hopefully to have the issue
    fixed when I add it back on. Is there a maximum no. of user accounts in the laptop? I want to see that I can add to replace user account removed due to problematic performance

Linda.y, Jan 7, 2019
  4. Unable to perform a backup due to report that pastport is "write preotected"

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on
      “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy”
      double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to
      stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

Unable to perform a backup due to report that pastport is "write preotected"

1. Unable to perform a backup due to report that pastport is "write preotected" - Similar Threads - Unable perform backup

2. ssd m.2 unable to format due to drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ssd m.2 unable to format due to drive is write protected: ssd is samsung 970 evoplus 1tbive done setting the registry editor to 0also cannot format the disk on disk management because it is greyed out.when i tried diskpart it shows like this..DISKPART> attributes diskCurrent Read-only State: YesRead-only: NoBoot Disk: NoPagefile...
  3. ssd m.2 unable to format due to drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ssd m.2 unable to format due to drive is write protected: ssd is samsung 970 evoplus 1tbive done setting the registry editor to 0also cannot format the disk on disk management because it is greyed out.when i tried diskpart it shows like this..DISKPART> attributes diskCurrent Read-only State: YesRead-only: NoBoot Disk: NoPagefile...
  4. ssd m.2 unable to format due to drive is write protected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. DPM Backup Summary Report

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPM Backup Summary Report: Hi All,I hope you are well. I am looking to download the DPM backup summary report. The technet link below doesn't provide ithttp://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/DPM-Backup-Summary-Report-4533bcc6Please direct me to where I can download itRegards,Paul...
  6. DPM Backup Summary Report

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DPM Backup Summary Report: Hi All,I hope you are well. I am looking to download the DPM backup summary report. The technet link below doesn't provide ithttp://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/DPM-Backup-Summary-Report-4533bcc6Please direct me to where I can download itRegards,Paul...
  7. Performance monitor & report

Performance monitor & report: When I run PERFMON /REPORT the message 'getting information for one minute' appears. An hour or more later it is still there - nothing happens though the icon in th message does revolve....
  8. Macrium write performance.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium write performance.: Which setting is for the best performance for creating an image? File system cache or direct disk I/O, bit confused here. [img] OS 2004 build 19645.1 Thanks. 158231
  9. Performance Monitor Report

Performance Monitor Report: I recently generated system health report for my Windows PC using perfmon /report . I have two errors under System Service Checks option. I manually tried to relaunch the services. I couldn't fix it. I haven't come across these kind of errors before. I have posted the pics...
  10. Reflect backup performance...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Reflect backup performance...: This one puzzles me... The PC has two Samsung 960 EVO 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 drives, one is for the system and the other for data. Reflect scheduled to create a full image on the daily basis with default compression and encrypted with the same password. The backup device is...